Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers January 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Damn... wrote 16 instead of 8 for the first question . Any ideas how many marks i'll get???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Can you tell me question 4 on the paper please Thanks
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    There are several ways to do 8.

I found the equation of the line passing through (3,5) with gradient -2 was y = -2x + 11. Any point that is 6 sqrt 5 away from (3, 5) lies on the circle centre (3,5) radius 6 sqrt 5 so I wrote down the equation of this circle and solved a pair of simultaneous equations to find where the line meets this circle.
    Lol it was that simple
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuhairp)
    Damn... wrote 16 instead of 8 for the first question . Any ideas how many marks i'll get???
    Probably 3 if you just made one arithmetic error.
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSIfan)
    Hi, Can you tell me question 4 on the paper please Thanks
    Evaluate

3^{-2}

16^{\frac{3}{4}}

\frac{\sqrt{200}}{\sqrt{8}}
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aadil)
    Lol that was clever ... I got the equation of the line atleast... So thats what.1 mark maybe 2... Thanks Mr m looks like I did well ... One.last thing.. the question 7iii where you explain why it is greater than x >-2 I didn't say no roots but explained it well enough to get the marks ... CAn I still get 2 without saying no real roots
    I think they are expecting people to say the graph only crosses the x axis once at x = -2 but you had enough information from the previous parts to sketch the graph if you wished.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the markscheme Mr M, for 5 i did the right method (let y2 = x) but did a arithmetic error which led me to get no solutions :s and for 8 I did a simultaneous equation but again made a stupid mental maths error, so got an unfactorisable quadratic - how many marks do you think i will lose altogether??
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1234girl)
    Thanks for the markscheme Mr M, for 5 i did the right method (let y2 = x) but did a arithmetic error which led me to get no solutions :s and for 8 I did a simultaneous equation but again made a stupid mental maths error, so got an unfactorisable quadratic - how many marks do you think i will lose altogether??
    It depends very much on what you did that was right. You would certainly have attained one mark for the substitution.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just as a general question ... What is the pass mark on average for an A over the last few years... Ill doubt it will move massively this year. So yeh the pass mark for an A over the last few.years?.. MR M u are doing c2? I hope on Tuesday and c3 on Friday
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It depends very much on what you did that was right. You would certainly have attained one mark for the substitution.
    When we had to sketch the graph I put the y intercept as either just 12, (0,12) or maybe (12,0), for the first woul o get a Mark? And am assuming for the last I wouldn't get anything?
    Also is it possible that 71/72 is 100 ums thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers January 2012
    Thanks for your answers Mr M. For Q9. ii) Would I lose both marks if I put x<-4, x>3? Also, is it me or is the 2nd solution to iii) (4, -7)?
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    Thanks for your answers Mr M. For Q9. ii) Would I lose both marks if I put x<-4, x>3? Also, is it me or is the 2nd solution to iii) (4, -7)?
    Yes lose both marks I think and the 2nd solution to iii) is correct - I just checked on my computer.
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    When we had to sketch the graph I put the y intercept as either just 12, (0,12) or maybe (12,0), for the first woul o get a Mark? And am assuming for the last I wouldn't get anything?
    Also is it possible that 71/72 is 100 ums thank you!
    (12,0) is wrong. 12 might be ok but it did ask you to write coordinates.

71/72 will probably be 100 UMS.
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aadil)
    Just as a general question ... What is the pass mark on average for an A over the last few years... Ill doubt it will move massively this year. So yeh the pass mark for an A over the last few.years?.. MR M u are doing c2? I hope on Tuesday and c3 on Friday
    You will have to look up the previous boundaries as I am too lazy. I will do Core 2 on Tuesday but I won't be in school on Friday so won't see the Core 3 paper until the following Monday.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    what was the question for 9iii?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what was question 8 again? Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    (12,0) is wrong. 12 might be ok but it did ask you to write coordinates.

71/72 will probably be 100 UMS.
    oh thank you so much!, i really hope it is
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mei C1 answers please???? think i got 65-68/72not sure tho wanna check!
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikey6743)
    Hey, what was question 8 again? Thanks
    Read a few posts back.
    • 344 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolcat)
    Mei C1 answers please???? think i got 65-68/72not sure tho wanna check!
    I don't have the MEI paper - sorry!
Updated: January 21, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.