The Student Room Group

Some Questions about A-level courses

I'm 26 and I'm thinking about doing an A-level in Chemistry as a private candidate. I've done A-levels before but that was a while ago and I'm sure of how it all works now, especially as I'll be a private candidate. Some questions I have are:

Do you have a time limit in which you must complete the course and do the modules need to be done in a certain order? For example could I do the practical module in the summer and then written exams in January?

Is is possible to do the whole A-level in a year? Or do you have to do AS first before being allowed to attempt any of the A2 modules, or is it more flexible and you just don't get anything until all six are completed?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post this. Thanks
Original post by mh22186
I'm 26 and I'm thinking about doing an A-level in Chemistry as a private candidate. I've done A-levels before but that was a while ago and I'm sure of how it all works now, especially as I'll be a private candidate. Some questions I have are:

Do you have a time limit in which you must complete the course and do the modules need to be done in a certain order? For example could I do the practical module in the summer and then written exams in January?

Is is possible to do the whole A-level in a year? Or do you have to do AS first before being allowed to attempt any of the A2 modules, or is it more flexible and you just don't get anything until all six are completed?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post this. Thanks

it depends on how you would be able to learn the topics.
If you are going to go back to college, then its probably not possible to do it all in a year because some schools take things quite slowly,
but if you go with private tutoring, then you would probably be able to do it as long as you study hard :smile:
I've studied as chemistry and I found it fairly easy and I'm currently studying A level chemistry.
There is no certain order, you can write the papers in the order you desire and you can repeat them as much as you want and in the final certificate they will place the highest marks for each individual unit.
Hope that helps:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mh22186

You can do the units in any order though typically candidates have not done enough preparation for the practicals until they have also covered the relevant theory. Some A2 work does build on AS basics so most candidates do the units in the designed order. You can be awarded an AS once you complete the 2 AS exams and practical but there is no examiner requirement to do so. There is no time limit as long as the specification is still available. It can all be done in one single exam sitting, over 2 years (the usual mehtod) or spread over several years ( there is a debate about the future of existing modular A levels but it will be a few years before any finally agreed change can be implemented ).

Before you embark on this plan, have you found a centre that will be willing to accept you as a private candidate for the practical tests? This may be more difficult than you expect and may influence which examiner specification you work towards. (You may think Chemistry is Chemistry but each specification has it's own way of doing things)

Quick Reply

Latest