The Student Room Group

British student who created TVShack will be extradited to the US.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie
The difference is piratebay deliberately sourced pirated material and would never remove it, whereas this kid would remove all links to illegal material (as proven by his records).

The Americans have every right under the law to extradite and try this kid.

Which is why we need the law to change.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

Google doesn't really remove links yet it's being left alone. What I'm saying is that the powers that be have double standards depending on who's linking to pirated material.

And I totally agree the law needs to be changed. It's ridiculous that the US think they can just take who they want whenever they want. Same with the Megaupload case.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I'm so happy to know that my country will protect me.

Oh wait... Come on already this stupid unbalanced extradition treaty is stupid, is smacks of the kind of gunboat diplomacy the west forced upon places like imperial China it's just dumb.

Especially in these cases where the alleged crime has basically occurred entirely within the UK and it honestly a UK judicial issue. A case for UK courts to decide warrants trial.

Simply put the US has no jurisdiction over here and the US judicial system does not meet the standards and principles that UK law upholds and pursues, so we shouldn't be so ready to give away our citizens (innocent until proven guilty btw) to foreign countries and left to the mercy of their courts who often (even in the case of the US) can't promise them a fair trial.

The trials are fair, its the punishments and threats that are unfair.

Typically being threatened with huge prison sentences to scare people into settling.
In some cases they will threaten 30 years in prison, but negotiate to 2 years.
Bullying tactics by prosecutors, but the trial aspect themselves are typically no more or les fair than anywhere else in the world.
Reply 122
He should be tried under British law, not under the US law. This whole "special relationship" between the US and the UK seems very one sided.
Reply 123
You always hear UKIP and the kind attacking the EU court of human rights, which is in place to protect people's rights, and yet I've never once heard Nigel Farage or his cronies mention this treaty agreement, which is much more of a breach of UK independence than the ECHR.

I honestly cannot see how it is in the slightest acceptable we have such an arrangement with a country that imprisons more people per capita than the USSR under Stalin, with a supreme court that is completely partisan, with a justice system that is not only racist, but fails to meet prisoners basic human rights, and still has capital punishment in place. But oh well, let's just demonise the ECHR which protects workers rights and the like.
no this is wrong
Reply 125
If it was an American citizen that Britain wanted extradited for a similar thing the Americans would be crying about their constitutional freedoms being infringed. One sided much.
Original post by Otkem
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-filesharing-extraditiontre80c15c-20120113,0,7135296.story

I do not have a shred of sympathy for him. He is part of the problem that costs the film industry millions each year, and I hope that he is given a lengthy prison sentence so that it serves as a deterrent.

What do you think?

Avengers made $600m + in the box office. The money that they lost on this film is probably negligible.
Reply 127
Disgraceful, i think its time to scrap this extradition treaty.
Reply 128
Original post by Yuzaeul
If it was an American citizen that Britain wanted extradited for a similar thing the Americans would be crying about their constitutional freedoms being infringed. One sided much.

It'd never happen quite frankly.
Original post by Stasiaxx
Avengers made $600m + in the box office. The money that they lost on this film is probably negligible.

Exactly. What studios need to do is focus on making GOOD movies that people want to see in cinemas and not shovel out crap all the time. The reason Avengers did so well is because it was something people wanted to see and was designed for a massive screen. They also need to combine this with online releases so that people can legally get hold of movies at home closer to their release in cinemas. Unfortunately they're too focused on keeping hold of their old business model instead of doing what audiences want.

Sites like TPB, Newzbin and TV Shack prove that audiences want easy access to content in a format that suits them. Taking them down instead of replacing them with legal alternatives is doomed to fail and cases like this one just make people want to hate studios more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by Otkem
He encouraged it, which in my eyes is sufficient for the electric chair.

People like you just look for negative rep. The only other conclusion I came to is mental deficiency.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending