The Student Room Group

We know why guys want to be taller. But why do girls want to be taller?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
More potential to have skinny legs that 'go on for ages'
Original post by ironandwine
I'm 4'10"and 19 years old... go figure.

Not trying to be pervy because you're three years older than me so don't worry, but I think you're pretty tall or not! :smile:
Reply 22
Maybe they think that men will be attracted to what attracts them. They are attracted to tall men, so they think men will be attracted to tall girls.

Maybe they think it'll make them more suited to the tall men who they find attractive.

It might be practically easier to reach stuff and to walk places if they're taller.

It might make them feel powerful if they're taller.
Reply 23
I'm 6'6", probably bordering closer to 6'7" now, and I do like it. :yep:

Personally, I like tall girls because they usually have longer, more slender legs. And that right there is a great thing on a girl. :smile:
And as for people saying tall womean are attractive; one word: Shakira.
Original post by I.Am.The.Ill3st
Not trying to be pervy because you're three years older than me so don't worry, but I think you're pretty tall or not! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 26
I'm 5'6" so around average I think.
The main reason I want to be taller so I can have long legs.
Reply 27
5,3 and would love to be taller - long legs would be great, less chance of being squashed at school! And you get to eat more...
Original post by ironandwine
Thank you! :smile:

No problem, your welcome :smile:
Original post by Minimalist__
So much speculation and supposition in this post stated as 'fact' it makes my head spin. :eek3:

As far as my experience goes, it is relative to the individual. Most guys care that the girl is shorter than them, probably by a few inches. But if the guy in question is this supposed ideal height of 6'2" then that would only need to be about 5'9" for the girl which is by no means short.

Similarly, a girl is probably satisfied with a guy who is tall relative to her. Whether she's 4'9" or 5'9".

As for why girls want to be taller, again my experience is that only really happens when they are around 5ft and is mostly to do with people mocking them or practical reasons of having difficulty seeing/reaching things with ease.

In my opinion, being 6'2" would be when it starts getting so tall that you become noticed as 'the really tall guy', which might be a good thing, or not.

Notice all that opinionated stuff being stated as such, OP, and not extrapolating to universal truisms.

Hmmm I don't think 6'2 is too unusual for a guy and probably not too noticable im in year 11 and know many people 6'2 plus in my year including me.
Reply 30
I like being short!
Reply 31
I'm pretty satisified with my height - I'm above average by quite a bit, but I'm not really tall. I suppose there's the fact that limbs will be longer and clothes can look nicer.
I love being tall, can't really explain exactly why it just feels good, and as someone else said, powerful in a way. I'm around 5'9" and would like to be a little taller, but wouldn't want to be any shorter.

I also think there's an elegance to tall people that short people can't really emanate, I don't necessarily have it but I notice it in others a lot.
Reply 33
Having been 6' since I was 14, I don't know why, either. I'm ambivalent about my height - wish I was more like 5'7 so I didn't tower over all the girls I know, but I also like my height because it's unusual and means my legs are fairly long.

Grass is always greener, I guess!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
I'm 5'10" and I love it. I wouldn't lose an inch if I had the choice. I like having long legs :P

I really like tall guys though, Im not sure i'd go out with someone shorter than me - and I know that sounds kind of bad but I just wouldnt, unless they had like an amazing personality or something.
Reply 35
I don''t want to be taller... not unless i'm gonna be 9foot something (to secure a world record)
tall people die quicker.
i want to be shorter!
Original post by Movember
i have found that its not only guys who care about their height a lot. girls seem to care just as much about it too. its obvious why guys want to be taller- girls find taller guys much more attractive. height is the number 1 physical preference most girls look for in a guy. i would even go so far in saying its the number 1 preference overall- before anything else, the average woman will consider height first. so you can see why its so crucial for a guy to be tall. the ideal height for a guy in terms of his attraction to women is just short of 6ft2 (something like 6ft 1.95 inches). i even know some guys who are depressed/suicidal over their short height (yes THAT is how much it matters).

but what i want to know is why do girls want to be taller? guys dont care about the height of a girl. most want a short girl anyway. for guys, they care about hot face and body. they are put off by tall girls and i know some guys who say its off-putting and ugly if a girl is too tall (these are guys who are 6foot and over btw so its not like they are short. and by too tall, they mean 5f10+. taller than the average guy).

it begs the question why do girls want to be taller? i dont understand:s-smilie:

I disagree with the bold bit, the statements a bit over the top, personally my first physical preference is the face to see if he has a cute smile, nice eyes..
girls want to be taller so they can reach the top shelf :frown:
I'm 5ft 4..which is quite short, so I'd like to be a little taller, but tbh it doesn't bother me! I don't really think girls necessarily want to be taller unless they are really short or something.
Reply 38
Original post by Whatever9999
I'm 5ft 4 but i honestly hate my height i wish i was a bit taller .Everything looks better on tall girls and yes i do get people making fun of me for being short :frown:

5 ft 4 is average..
so you either live in a place full of BFGs or you need to measure yourself again and check the 5 wasnt a 4
Reply 39
Im 5ft5 which Im happy with cause when it comes to wearing my heels (most of which are 5 inches) I dont look toooo tall

Quick Reply

Latest