Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is the best Writer?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    John Green and Chuck Palahniuk are my favourite authors but I have too many favourite books to list.
    I have run out of pos rep unfortunately so here's a GIF.

GIFSoup
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambi_eyes)
    Italo Calvino
    Agreed; utter legend. Baron In The Trees is a savage book (and helped me ace Leaving Cert English... :cool:)

In terms of favourite authors I'm very much an American traditionalist. Hawthorne and Herman Melville for me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest). :moon:

Basically this, although if you find it all hydraheaded and inaccessible and whatnot, his non-fiction is more direct in its style and very entertaining.

Other favourites: James Joyce (Portrait & Ulysses), Flann O'Brien (At Swim-Two-Birds, The Third Policeman), Samuel Beckett (Molloy, The Unnamable), Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian), Herman Melville (Moby Dick, Billy Budd & short stories, especially Bartleby), Henry James (The Bostonians, Portrait of a Lady, The Ambassadors) and John Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My gosh, so many people have mentioned books I love on here! The book theif was really good, I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I became hooked.
    I grew up with Harry Potter, and adore it. However, going back, and re-reading it, I wouldn't consider her the best writer, with her simplistic style. Although, that is obviously great for children, and the plots are good Although, I was severely disappointed with the films, and was shouting at them for leaving out key points!
    GEORGE R. R. MARTIN - A Song of Ice and Fire series : Totally agree! I put it off reading them for ages because of the hype. I find they take me a very long time to read, as they're one of those books taht you read what you think is alot, but is actually on a tiny bit. I love that each chapter is from a different person's point of view.
    Crime and Punnishment may possibly be my all time favourite novel. I love Dostoyevsky's manipulation of time to create suspense, and how he zooms in on detail. Simply amazing novel.
    I've only just got into Oscar Wilde, but really like it! Especially the Importance of being earnest, with the sharp witt.
    sorry, will stop rambling on now!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dear I am obviously not a big reader then....is it awful to say I love Johnathon Kellerman and Dean Koontz???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vladimir Nabokov.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Normally when I read a book I love, and go on to read more books by the same author because of how great it was, I'm disappointed.

I guess the main author I can think of is Stieg Larsson, having read the Milennium trilogy and liking them all. But again, maybe that was just cause it was a trilogy, not completely separate books..

I reckon I just have favourite books, not authors.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricardo_)
    Vladimir Nabokov.
    OMG, this so goddamn much. I've only read Lolita so far, but, in terms of just the prose, it was beautiful.

F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ray Bradbury (only read Gatsby and Fahrenheit 451 from them) had some weirdly flowing writing, as if they spend lots of time trying to make it sound nice to the ear.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    e.e. cummings blows my mind. :heart:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Martin Amis is my personal favourite, have a signed book too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Terry Pratchett, Mort. The guy has such an amazing imagination to make such an in depthworld.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seems that you mention JK Rowling and you get a dislike from some 'argh I hate Harry Potter and his stupid childishness and why are we not all reading Dostoievsky?' type person.

I have many favourite books/writers including Harper Lee, Dickens, Henry James, Shakespeare and Heller...but Harry Potter tops them all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that anyone can be classed as the best writer, as everyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes. However, I've always liked H.G. Wells as I find his ability to predict the future with such accuracy in some of his novels fascinating. I also just enjoy the other scifi he produced, which was way ahead of it's time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a pretty big fan of Robert Muchamore, who wrote the cherub series of books, and at the minute i'm very into Richelle Mead, who wrote the Vampire Academy series. Favourite book of all time? The very hungry cattepiller. Nothing can beat it in terms of literary genius. XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    GEORGE R. R. MARTIN

A Song of Ice and Fire series - my favourite is Book 3: A Storm of Swords!

I wish I could live in Westeros...

Actually maybe I don't - after all, Winter Is Coming!
    Westeros is a terrible place to live bro. You'd most likely end up getting raped, tortured and killed at some point. Then they'll behead you, tar your head and stick it on a spike somewhere for the crows to pluck out your eyes.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could ever say "who is the best writer" because there are so many that are amazing and the type of book and who it's aimed at can affect that...
    however, Enid Blyton has to be one of the best writers ever and her books are so good...wouldn't've become a bookworm without her
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be impossible to name any particular favourite since I think each book has it's own merit for different reasons. I the works of Virginia Woolf, particularly 'The Waves'. Not only does the stream of consciousness interest me, but her original and concise descriptions which make each scene so atmospheric, and yet encourages you to see each object in a different way. However, I also love the individuality in other works such as those of: Evelyn Waugh, Ivan Turgenev, Sylvia Plath, E.M. Forster, Christopher Isherwood and Stephen Fry. I am sure there are many other great authors out there still waiting for me to try- so I am not going to leave my opinions at that. I have just started delving into 'Black Cat Bone' by John Burnside and I have a feeling that might soon find its way onto my favourites list...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleigh.jean)
    I don't think I could ever say "who is the best writer" because there are so many that are amazing and the type of book and who it's aimed at can affect that...
    however, Enid Blyton has to be one of the best writers ever and her books are so good...wouldn't've become a bookworm without her
    I remember 'The Enchanted Wood.' It was actually the first book which weaned me onto reading things for myself- before my Mum would read it to me at bedtime but I became so impatient to know what happened next that I just started sneakily reading ahead to the next few chapters when she went out of the room... the start of my bad habit of reading until past midnight...:rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    James Herbert
    Jodi Picoult
    Jean Plaidy
    Alison Weir (for a good non-fiction read. I have a signed copy of her newest one, about Mary Boleyn)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeBookworm)
    I remember 'The Enchanted Wood.' It was actually the first book which weaned me onto reading things for myself- before my Mum would read it to me at bedtime but I became so impatient to know what happened next that I just started sneakily reading ahead to the next few chapters when she went out of the room... the start of my bad habit of reading until past midnight...:rolleyes:
    I LOVE that book! I got so annoyed when I watched the animation and it didn't match the books I would only read Enid Blyton until my teacher lent me a load of her books to try to get me onto other authors when I ran out of stuff to read! :lol:
    awww that's cute :')

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.