ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineBug)
    Harper Lee and Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Harper Lee? She only wrote one
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge.Potential)
    not potential anymore bro.

Proud student of oxford university. umad?

IMO, the andy mcnab series as been surprisingly good. I know that alot of the books mentionned tend to be more 'intellectual' but don't knock a bok till you tried it....

thumbs up andy mcnab
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matyoung125)
    Harper Lee? She only wrote one
    Correct, I believe To Kill a Mockingbird was a Pulitzer-prize winning novel. Although she only wrote one, she's still one of my favourites.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Barbara Nadel and Joshua Harris.

I tend not to read more than one book by any particular author (I've only read one or two books by Niffenegger, David Nicholls, Hosseini, Alice Sebold and have enjoyed them immensely but I can't judge until I read more).

Technically, Harris doesn't write novels but advice books. His writing style is so refreshing and interesting compared to most Christian authors, though, and I never thought such books could be page-turners. Admittedly, his first book I Kissed Dating Goodbye can be a bit tough to read in parts but he improves a lot.

Nadel is a great crime-thriller author and I love the scenes her books are set in although I might be biased as I quite like Istanbul generally.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading lots of Jonathan Franzen, Lionel Shriver and Haruki Murakami lately and all are excellent.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jane Austen!!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bret Easton Ellis, Ian McEwan and Irvine Welsh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Virginia Woolf, TS Eliot, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Charlotte Bronte.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    F.Scott Fitzgerald
    J.D. Salinger
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dame Agatha Christie. I havent read her romance novels but I love her mystery novels.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bret Easton Ellis was my go to novel when i was a teen ..

(Original post by T'archer)
    I really like Bret Easton Ellis. His literature is something 'different' and although it may not be the best writing style it works for me. Not so much in American Psycho, but in Less than Zero, Imperial Bedrooms and the Informers something just works for me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kafka, Joyce (though he's hard to enjoy at times, I still think of his as great), Chekhov, Swift, Douglas Adams, Dostoyevsky to name but a few.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Franz Kafka, just for the sake of writing. How someone can sit at a desk and actually come up with that difficult type of narrative and still make it engrossing is beyond my level of understanding.

Oh and contray to popular opinion, he is a very humourous writer! I still remember when K. got given the role of caretaker in 'The Castle', it was so ridiculously anti-climatic you kind of felt satisfied. Like I said, cannot compute how he managed to span 70 pages just to get to that point and still have me lapping it up.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oscar Wilde - The pircture of Dorian Gray ... :love::love::love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the writing style, I love Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Their styles are relatively simple, but they have really distinctive voices that make their work fun to read. I always feel with Adams that I'm listening to it rather than reading it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ernest Hemingway. His writing is beautiful. A Moveable Feast is one of the most interesting books I have read. I'm currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls (See sig!)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    English language - Shakespeare.

Obviously harder to judge with authors I've only read in translation, but I'd imagine the following would be candidates if I could read them in the original language: Homer, Virgil, Dante, Goethe, Flaubert, Chekhov, Tolstoy, Kafka.

Not worked up the courage to try Joyce beyond The Dubliners yet.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haruki Murakami ^^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Primo Levi is probably my all-time favourite writer.

As Siddhartha Mukherjee opined 'if chemists can write like that, god save the writers'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.