The Student Room Group

C2 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

I will create two types of thread a pre-exam and post exam thread.

Pre-exam threads understandably need to be locked, but it seem to take ages for them to be unlocked.

Here are my model answers, written on the paper. I thought it was a reasonable paper in comparison to previous ones.

Question analysis

Q1. GP, very easy (6m)

Q2. Circles, Joke (4m)

Q3. Binomial, pretty easy (7m)

Q4. Logs, I thought this was easy, but I can see it causing problems. (6m)

Q5. Factor theorem (6m)

Q6. Trap rule, calculus. Trap rule was very easy, integration was pretty easy too (11m)

Q7. Radians. I can see this causing problems (12m)

Q8. Calculus. Not too bad but it will cause problems. (13m)

Q9. a) was pretty easy but b) was very hard (8m)

Q1-Q6 should be bankers, so 45 marks should be nailed on.

Q7 and Q8, whilst not very hard they will cause probs and are worth a third of the paper.

It was 65 for an A last Jan, I would say this paper was easier on the whole!

I am going to go for

100UMS = 75
90UMS = 69.5
80UMS = 64
70UMS = 56
60UMS = 48
50UMS = 40
40UMS = 32
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i thought it was harder than last summer's, June 2011
any guesses on grade boundaries?
it was fine, easier than june imo, just made too many silly mistakes ;(
Original post by bogus
i thought it was harder than last summer's, June 2011
any guesses on grade boundaries?

yeahh i thought that too...probably 62 for an A
Arsey, what do you reckon 90 would equate to in raw marks?
Reply 5
Original post by Arsey

Pre-exam threads understandably need to be locked, but it seem to take ages for them to be unlocked.

Here are my model answers, written on the paper. I thought it was a reasonable paper in comparison to previous ones.

How did you find it?

Can you breifly explain why 9ii is pie/5 cause I got pie/10
Original post by Jammy4410

I got pi/10 too but then, I put it into the equation to find the x intercepts and found that it didn't give the ones given, but half their values. Then I tried pi/5 and it worked...
Original post by Arsey

How did you find it?

Please would you make some predictions of grade boundaries? :smile: We won't blame you if they're wrong... just a prediction after all...
Reply 8
Original post by Jasmine_777
I got pi/10 too but then, I put it into the equation to find the x intercepts and found that it didn't give the ones given, but half their values. Then I tried pi/5 and it worked...

Oh yh I see how now
Probably lost 3-5 max, hopefully got 90ums only question I couldn't answer was the first log question
Reply 9
I will plow throught the how many marks have I lost questions and have a think about possible boundaries tomorrow
Reply 10
Original post by Jammy4410

I did it 3 different ways....

It was a very hard question and I would be surprised if many people got it completely correct
Reply 11
q1-7 absolutly fine :biggrin: .. actually able to answer the log question.

q8.. bah messed it up. i think i got part c right I think I remember x=2. Got d completly wrong.

q9.. also messed it up. I thought it would be -45<3x-15<495.. still might have the x values right though.. part b i didnt have a clue, i just used the values from part a and mades some simultanious equations lol.

As I reckon I got 1-7 right and lost about 12 marks then I hope to get around 63/75.
Reply 12
Dang, that's one question down. I got pi/10 for 9.ii. Paper was quite okay for me I guess. Hope I did not make any silly mistakes.
Reply 13
Ugh crap. I did some really stupid things. So far I've probably got at least 49/75 :s-smilie:
i cant beleive i messed up the logs it was so easy in the mark scheme i got the first part but instead of cancelling logs i just carried on
Original post by Arsey
I did it 3 different ways....

It was a very hard question and I would be surprised if many people got it completely correct

Bit gutted purely cause i was zoo close and should have thought to put it in with angles.
Also, i had no idea you could separate the first log question you did , it makes sense cause of same base, but that was the only one i couldn't answer.

Literally i had a page of writing randomly spread out, hopefully will get 1 mark for log3 3x^2
for substation because i wrote it somewhere as long as it isn't conned.

Also for the area of triangle question, i got it right but i was wondering is there anyway to do things like: square root of (208/27), without calculator cause i got that before i realized two triangles was easier.?
Original post by Arsey
I will plow throught the how many marks have I lost questions and have a think about possible boundaries tomorrow

For when you receive this tomorrow.
For Q8 part c) where you have to work out minimum for P it is 5marks.

How many marks for:

P=8x^-1 + 2x

dp/dx = -8x^-2 + 2
0 = -8x^-2 + 2
2x^2 = 8 The next bit i don't know why I did it but s*** happens
x^2 = 4
x=4 (can't remember if i wrote x=4 or x=2 but i carried over x=4, so probably x=4)

p= 8/4 +2x4
=10cm

Then for part D i used 10cm, with all correct working apart from i got a negative answer cause x=4 was too big, also left it in m cause i didn't realize.

I put x=4 into the y equals equation and got:
= -1.07...
which i then wrote = 1cm (to nearest cm)

For part D) 0/2 or 1/2 marks? And how much for C?

That was the only question i was annoyed at cause i could so easily have got accuracy and method marks if it weren't for a stupid mistake, the only one i would of lost a mark was in part D) cause i didn't note units was Metres.

The others i got wrong was
Q3 - could not work out Logs for part a
Q9 - DO you think i will get 1 mark for Pie/10, without brilliant working i just minused x values from pie.

Overall I think I got 63-67, definitely an A but i want 90ums
Reply 17
Reckon it will be 63-65 for an A
Reply 18
Original post by kurdishboy94
i cant beleive i messed up the logs it was so easy in the mark scheme i got the first part but instead of cancelling logs i just carried on

Ahhh I did exactly the same thing .. It's different when you practice at home but when your in the exam and the pressures on you make a couple of errors but hopefully you'll get atleast one method mark :smile:
Reply 19
Yayyy 1-7 all goodd 3/4 of 8 is good and 9 i messed up part b)

Latest

Trending

Trending