The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by MustyQ
owkay genius, type in sin(2(11pi/10)-(pi/5) into your calculator, you dont get 0 so ha.

Put you calculator in radians, then try again.
Reply 201
my bad calculator was in degrees...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wizzar
So you're saying one can end up with a B and miss an A*?!?!, and wouldn't you also need high marks in your other modules, i.e last year I did C1 C2 and Stats, this year it's C3,C4 and Mechanics 1

You need 180 UMS from C3 & C4 for A* and a total UMS of 480 meaning 300 UMS from the 4 other units is enough for an A*. 300/4 = 75 UMS per unit, so yes you still need high marks from other units. The more you achieve in C3/C4 the less that is required for the other 4.
Reply 203
Original post by wizzar
So you're saying one can end up with a B and miss an A*?!?!, and wouldn't you also need high marks in your other modules, i.e last year I did C1 C2 and Stats, this year it's C3,C4 and Mechanics 1

Yes what i said is possible because to get an A* your overall average must be 80+ UMS and your C3/C4 average has to be 90+ if you were to get a 70 average at AS and then ur A2 average was only 89.. your A2 would have been so close for you to be getting the 90% to get an A*, but your overall would still be in the 70s so u'd get a B
Reply 204
Original post by Machoo
AS has no effect on getting A*? Are you not in school or something? To get an A* overall, you need to have a high enough UMS average. As C1 & C2 are components of the whole A-level, obviously they have an effect.

I meant in terms of actually scoring highly in C1/C2 making as much of a significance as C3/C4, getting a B or A in AS has no difference if you're trying to get an A*, its all about C3/C4, thats what i meant
Reply 205
If you do well in C1/C2 it means you have less to get to achieve an A and therefore instead of having to average about 97 on C3/C4 for an A* you only need to average 90 :smile:

Plus if you only get 75s your predicted grades wont be A*
For Question 8b), where it says ''show the Perimeter is given by the following equation''..

what if you showed what they wanted but you had an extra term at the end of it? How many marks would you lose out of 3?
Reply 207
Counted up the marks and I reckon I would of got 56/75 what grade would that be?
Reply 208
Original post by nicsxox
Counted up the marks and I reckon I would of got 56/75 what grade would that be?

B grade
Original post by nicsxox

I'm very sure that would be a B.
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
For Question 8b), where it says ''show the Perimeter is given by the following equation''..

what if you showed what they wanted but you had an extra term at the end of it? How many marks would you lose out of 3?

Since the answer is given to a "show that" question all of the marks are for method. Clearly your method was faulty since you had an extra term in your answer. It's impossible to say how many marks your method would earn without seeing it. Could be anything between 0 and 2
Reply 211
Original post by gdunne42
Since the answer is given to a "show that" question all of the marks are for method. Clearly your method was faulty since you had an extra term in your answer. It's impossible to say how many marks your method would earn without seeing it. Could be anything between 0 and 2

how does one put something extra on when its not meant to be there lol!:biggrin:
Reply 212
Original post by chill543
how does one put something extra on when its not meant to be there lol!:biggrin:

I presume he didn't calculate it correctly, or got his signs mixed up, so had something left over. For example, when I first did it, I calculated that the arc length was 1/2(pi) and not 1/2(pi)x so I had something left over, but cos it was a show question, I found my silly mistake and corrected it. :smile:
Reply 213
i think i got around 60 - 63 out 75.....wt grade could that be?
Reply 214
[QUOTE="arnab;35871101"]i think i got around 60 - 63 out 75.....wt grade could that be?[/QUOTE

Probably an A - about 80 UMS

why was i neged 4 this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42

THanks

Original post by chill543

Original post by Machoo
I presume he didn't calculate it correctly, or got his signs mixed up, so had something left over. For example, when I first did it, I calculated that the arc length was 1/2(pi) and not 1/2(pi)x so I had something left over, but cos it was a show question, I found my silly mistake and corrected it. :smile:

I went wrong somewhere and I didn't have enough time to go over it..

Original post by arnab
i think i got around 60 - 63 out 75.....wt grade could that be?

if you got 63, it would almost certainly be an A, if you got 60, it would almost certainly be a B
As useful as this thread was, I was able to work out my marks in the actual exam. I got towards the end and just realised that even attempting the last few questions was futile. I might have scraped a mark here or there for putting down an equation, but I found it really hard. I was able to go through the first few pages and tot-up my score because it was too easy to be wrong.

I don't see how that sort of exam is meant to be a part of AS level maths. To me, it doesn't fit in line with what all the other exams were like. I would've expected that sort of exam at A2 or A3 (just to extrapolate) level. I found the revision to be easy, but the types of application they asked us to do was just mind boggling. The first few questions were too easy to be called A-level at all (it was substuting numbers into a basic equation that was given to us!) and then the rest was horrendous.

I shall be having words with my head of year. He knows how I feel about AQA being better for the student than Edexcel. I would've done the AQA exam, but it required coursework that the teachers wouldn't have been able to do.

Time will tell, but I feel this will be the 7th exam I sit in the summer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by intellectual1
Not exactly the first few questions were relatively straightforward...however it did require more 'thinking' compared to past papers. The final two questions were nice in part a and b, but towards the end were very different...although if one was well prepared then they'd have no difficulty achieving a high score. Though alot of people I spoke to found it rather challenging in some parts...but with a thorough understanding of C3 and C4, C1 and C2 becomes much easier.:wink:

mixed responses all over.... i agree first couple were easy and the last 2-3 were different
Reply 218
I reckon 62/63 would be an A already.
It was harder than the 2011 June's.
Made some really stupid mistakes, so I guess my marks would be around 63-67.
Reply 219
I thought the June 2011 paper was harder tbh... Although I was a lot more prepared for this one, so I guess that'd be why I feel this way.

Latest

Trending

Trending