The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Jan 31st 2012 Unit 4 Exam

Discussion thread for AQA Economics Jan 31st 2012 Unit 4 Exam
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i'm hoping a good old globalization or inflation question pops up, need 80% or higher to get my A Mark in my a-level otherwise Econ 2 resit in June...

my main revision now though is just making sure i structure the 25 mark questions right. Too easy just to waffle and throw marks down the pan when you actually know the stuff but simply cant portray it in the exam! good luck to all taking it!
Reply 2
In my college they do econ 4 in jan because you are fresh from learning macro. I guess its really uncommon for people to be sitting it. didnt think about that
Reply 3
hey,

will be sitting the exam too. Just been revising by writing out the textbook in a question format, doing model answers and attempting to learn them (also learning key facts that can be applied to the question from real life) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lilGem
hey,

will be sitting the exam too. Just been revising by writing out the textbook in a question format, doing model answers and attempting to learn them (also learning key facts that can be applied to the question from real life) :smile:

Thats fairly similar to what im planning to do.
Ive got from the 25th-31st just for Econ 4 and i haven't done any real revision yet so it will have to be pretty hard core in this 5/6days or so.

Not too worried need a B and im working at a D so only 20%+ increase needed and my exam technique is the main problem not my knowledge.
Reply 5
Original post by scottb3scott
Thats fairly similar to what im planning to do.
Ive got from the 25th-31st just for Econ 4 and i haven't done any real revision yet so it will have to be pretty hard core in this 5/6days or so.

Not too worried need a B and im working at a D so only 20%+ increase needed and my exam technique is the main problem not my knowledge.

I've got a slight bit longer than you as my only other one is the econ2 resit on wednesday so I'm trying to focus a bit more on that- just adding A2 evaluation if I can.
I'd ideally like an A, but I'd be more than happy with a B (after a complete failure of a mock) I need to go over a few things and work on the exam technique too.
Reply 6
I think fiscal policy and budget deficits will be a hot topic!
I am not looking forward to this exam, I am getting top levels in my mocks but the feeling of being in the exam hall and the pressure of meeting uni offers will kill me.

What king of calculation will come up for the 5 marker?
what section do you guys prefer the European union or the international economy?
Reply 7
International seems easier because you can include more examples but then again when restricted to just EU it stops you straying away from the question
Reply 8
The 5 marker calculation hasn't been revealed particularly by the guy that sets the paper (my econ teacher asked him outright) but it's likely to be something simple like percentages.

I think I will be more inclined to the question regarding the global economy rather than the euro zone simply because I prefer the free trade/protectionism argument :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jorgeyy
The 5 marker calculation hasn't been revealed particularly by the guy that sets the paper (my econ teacher asked him outright) but it's likely to be something simple like percentages.

I think I will be more inclined to the question regarding the global economy rather than the euro zone simply because I prefer the free trade/protectionism argument :smile:

I love the free-trade and protectionism arguments as well.
I couldn't even think of one benefit to protectionism but apparently it helps domestic gain economics of scale. I am fully for free-trade and fully against protectionism. But i guess if you have points for both sides your evaluation will improve
so is the 5 mark question defo a calculation? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by imsosuperman

What type of calculation would they ask you to do? Like elasticity or something, i guess thats more micro-ey though
Reply 12
How's preparation going for everyone, and what do you think is going to come up?
Reply 13
My teacher gave us a copy of the unit 3 paper so we could see what type of thing they asked there

for 5 marks they had to spot a significant feature of the data and work out an index number ie if year 1 was 500 and index 100, what would be the index in year 2 if the amount was 400? - answer 80

Basically the same Q on both scenarios for the 5 marker

it does say on the front of unit 3 to bring a calculator - so guess thats the same for us
Hey I have a unit 6 aqa revision book but not unit 4, does anyone know if this is okay or will bits be missing or unnecessary in it?? Thanks.
Hey I have a unit 6 aqa revision book but not unit 4, does anyone know if this is okay or will bits be missing or unnecessary in it?? Thanks.
Original post by robberbill
My teacher gave us a copy of the unit 3 paper so we could see what type of thing they asked there

for 5 marks they had to spot a significant feature of the data and work out an index number ie if year 1 was 500 and index 100, what would be the index in year 2 if the amount was 400? - answer 80

Basically the same Q on both scenarios for the 5 marker

it does say on the front of unit 3 to bring a calculator - so guess thats the same for us

why 80? :s
Original post by imsosuperman
why 80? :s

500 to 400 is a reduction of 100/500 = 1/5 = 0.2 so 20%

80 is the 20% reduction from the base of 100

How is everyone else preparing? I am going to start tomorrow, needed a break tonight from other exams :s-smilie:
Original post by Jorgeyy
500 to 400 is a reduction of 100/500 = 1/5 = 0.2 so 20%

80 is the 20% reduction from the base of 100

How is everyone else preparing? I am going to start tomorrow, needed a break tonight from other exams :s-smilie:

could they ask index numbers to calculate? :s
and haha i havent started economics yet, fml
Reply 19
someone PLEASE teach me how to evaluate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending