The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/cheney_shooting_scientific_proof.htm

The Cheney shooting is the most recent example of a cover up operation.

In outline; Whittington was not shot at 90 yards, but at 15-20.
I bet Cheney was eating pretzels at the time too. They make people do stupid things.
Reply 22
^^ Lol :biggrin: I couldn't believe it when I received my daily washington post in my inbox and the first article was 'Cheney shoots 78 year old man' I thought they'd gone bonkers for a second!

If only we could swap 'Cheney' for 'Bush' then it'll be the perfect story! :rolleyes:
Reply 23
MR_JR
Only in America...

Do any of the three people to have made that comment care to justify it?
Hunting accident... American stereotype... I'm not following.
King Leigh
Do any of the three people to have made that comment care to justify it?
Hunting accident... American stereotype... I'm not following.

My Justification has to do with the American Declaration of Independence, specifically with relation to guns. There are 6 paragraphs, if I recall correctly, to do with the right to carry and/or possess guns. (in comparison, there is a single line abolishing slavery), which, to me, leads way to all sorts of trigger happy stereotypes, in that it could be argued that, by devoting such an amount of the declaration to the right to possess arms, that gun-related issues are rather important.

Linked in here...its a gun related incident........Dick Cheney has been ever so slightly trigger happy....go figure.
Reply 25
Well, do you really think you'd hear about (will not insert John Prescott here) Gordon Brown shooting someone or Michael Heseltine (previous deputy PM me thinks)?
Reply 26
He was hunting. You can hunt with guns here, so the America + Gun thing doesn't really add up.

It's not like this happens often either, so I don't think arguing that it wouldn't happen here holds too much water either; this time last week, it was just as unbelievable you'd hear about it happening there.

I'm saying no more on the matter, I don't want an American-bashing debate, this isn't the time and place, I just get a bit bored of the stereotyping (especially when it doesn't make sense)
King Leigh

I just get a bit bored of the stereotyping (especially when it doesn't make sense)

If I haven't convinced you then I haven't convinced you. It still was the basis of my generalisation
MR_JR
My Justification has to do with the American Declaration of Independence, specifically with relation to guns. There are 6 paragraphs, if I recall correctly, to do with the right to carry and/or possess guns. (in comparison, there is a single line abolishing slavery), which, to me, leads way to all sorts of trigger happy stereotypes, in that it could be argued that, by devoting such an amount of the declaration to the right to possess arms, that gun-related issues are rather important.

Linked in here...its a gun related incident........Dick Cheney has been ever so slightly trigger happy....go figure.

I'm perplexed. Considering that the Declaration of Independence was one massive paragraph... and I don't remember guns in it. You're thinking of the Bill of Rights methinks - and even then, it's just the one paragraph on guns. And the line abolishing slavery wasn't added until after the Civil War.

Gun issues are important in America, yup. I think, however, that the reason the joke's on Cheney is that he's the vice-president, and has embodied the USA's agressive foreign policy by shooting someone (accidentally). And it's not every day that the deputy leader of a country shoots someone (regardless of how accidental it was). Remember when Prescott punched that journalist? That was funneh. :smile:

@King Leigh - "only in America" refers to perhaps the bigger picture of Americans being portrayed as far more eccentric and politicised when compared to the UK or Europe... it's simply a British way of commenting on the exaggerated way America operates.
Reply 29
Wow - Why do you care about arguing about why somone is stereotyping. Screw it. It's a saying.

Only in America. Too bloody right.
Reply 30
Wow - Why do you care about arguing about why somone is stereotyping. Screw it. It's a saying.

Only in America. Too bloody right.

Latest