The Student Room Group

AS Level retake-Cannot apply straight to medicine?

Hi,

I am retaking my A-levels and I know that i cannot apply to med schools because im retaking.
I have only one medical choice right now and thats the extended medical degree at Kings (im very excited about this).
However, i wanted to know if i apply after my june exams for kings i have nothing else to apply to, i dont want to do a science course and apply as a graduate that would take 3 years of studying something i dont want to do.

I want to know what else i could apply for i mean i cant apply to any of the other 6 year courses they dont accept retakes. what about access courses how do they work out ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you mean you're resitting your modules or actually retaking year 12?

They don't mind modular resits provided your A-levels were done under 2 years, if it took you over 2 years (i.e. resat a year) then I think quite a few of the medical schools expect extenuating circumstances, give a few of the med schools an email to the admissions offices and they should give you a clear answer. Any particular reason you didn't do well at AS?

I think the problem starts if you retake A2, have a look at this page for the resit policies:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

The 6 year foundation courses tend to be for people who lack science a-levels. Also note the graduate entry medicine is only 4 years, however it's far more competitive. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by bboy420

They don't mind modular resits provided your A-levels were done under 2 years, if it took you over 2 years (i.e. resat a year) then I think quite a few of the medical schools expect extenuating circumstances, give a few of the med schools an email to the admissions offices and they should give you a clear answer. Any particular reason you didn't do well at AS?

I think the problem starts if you retake A2, have a look at this page for the resit policies:

The 6 year foundation courses tend to be for people who lack science a-levels. Also note the graduate entry medicine is only 4 years, however it's far more competitive. Good luck.

Soo people who're retaking Year 12 should just give up on medicine??
Reply 3
Original post by Varsh05
Soo people who're retaking Year 12 should just give up on medicine??

If you take longer than 2 years to complete your A-levels without extenuating circumstances then you'll have to consider alternative routes than the standard A100 route.
Reply 4
Original post by Elwyn
If you take longer than 2 years to complete your A-levels without extenuating circumstances then you'll have to consider alternative routes than the standard A100 route.

Ohh okay!
Reply 5
Not at all, if you see on that link in my post there are a couple of medical schools that accept resits with conditions attached, however without extenuating circumstances it's going to be difficult, but bear in mind there will be applicants with high grades on first sitting so you can possibly make up for it by lots of work experience, volunteering, a solid PS, solid UKCAT score and of course your choice of university provided you meet the conditions of the respective university.

Bear in mind when considering GEM, medicine is long enough as it is, the junior doctor years are stressful from what i've heard, let alone the a100 course itself, so make sure you know what you're in for if you're taking another route into Medicine, such as a 3 year course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by bboy420

No, im actually retaking a whole year so im going to end up doing 3 years rather than 2.

I have contacted all and only Kings (EMDP) is ok with it. So your saying no other choice than doing a different undergraduate course?
Reply 7
Original post by Elwyn

Yep, what other routes can i take? the 6 year courses except kings do not accept re takes? and i also do not want to study for a course like biomed when i want to study medicine? any other routes possible?

any access courses?
Reply 8
Original post by bboy420
Not at all, if you see on that link in my post there are a couple of medical schools that accept resits with conditions attached, however without extenuating circumstances it's going to be difficult, but bear in mind there will be applicants with high grades on first sitting so you can possibly make up for it by lots of work experience, volunteering, a solid PS, solid UKCAT score and of course your choice of university provided you meet the conditions of the respective university.

Bear in mind when considering GEM, medicine is long enough as it is, the junior doctor years are stressful from what i've heard, let alone the a100 course itself, so make sure you know what you're in for if you're taking another route into Medicine, such as a 3 year course.

I don't have good enough reasons for re-siting so i cannot apply to 5 year course or 6 year.

Medicine what i want to do, is there anything else i could do before considering GEM? Thats my last option if i cannot find any other way
Reply 9
Original post by rukan
I don't have good enough reasons for re-siting so i cannot apply to 5 year course or 6 year.

Medicine what i want to do, is there anything else i could do before considering GEM? Thats my last option if i cannot find any other way

You can apply to certain universities which accept resit applicants after you achieved your grades, it may require you to take a gap year though.
Reply 10
Original post by myyrh
You can apply to certain universities which accept resit applicants after you achieved your grades, it may require you to take a gap year though.

thank you. which universities?
Reply 11
Original post by rukan
thank you. which universities?

You are in an unusual situation because most who resit do so after A2. So some of the circumstances may be different. The following Universities accept resitters. They each have certain criteria which needs to be met.

UEA- BBB in first sitting and then A*AA in resat subjects

Liverpool- CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Lancaster - CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Soton - Only allowed to resit one A level subject

BSMS- Required to have achieved AAB first sitting then A*AA

Keele- AAA/A*AB must apply with achieved grades.

Manchester - AAB in first sitting and then A*AA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on need to resit in personal statement .

Peninsula - AAB first sitting then AAA/A*AA

As you can see there are a fair few who consider resitters but on the basis of resitting after A2. So you would have to ask each university if they would consider you. Out of the unis I have mentioned, Keele would consider you, but that would be after your 3 years of A levels. Hope this helps.
Peninsula -
Well Keele accept resitters but you are required to achieve your grades first and then apply.
Reply 12
Original post by myyrh
You are in an unusual situation because most who resit do so after A2. So some of the circumstances may be different. The following Universities accept resitters. They each have certain criteria which needs to be met.

UEA- BBB in first sitting and then A*AA in resat subjects

Liverpool- CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Lancaster - CCC in first sitting and then AAA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to resit in personal statement.

Soton - Only allowed to resit one A level subject

BSMS- Required to have achieved AAB first sitting then A*AA

Keele- AAA/A*AB must apply with achieved grades.

Manchester - AAB in first sitting and then A*AA. Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on need to resit in personal statement .

Peninsula - AAB first sitting then AAA/A*AA

As you can see there are a fair few who consider resitters but on the basis of resitting after A2. So you would have to ask each university if they would consider you. Out of the unis I have mentioned, Keele would consider you, but that would be after your 3 years of A levels. Hope this helps.
Peninsula -
Well Keele accept resitters but you are required to achieve your grades first and then apply.

thanks! i didnt even get CCC so thats out of discussion :frown:

keele and kings is my only option i see.

Im a Turkish citizen as well as an English citizen so i sent e-mails to Turkish universities hopefully i would get a positive reply or i would have to do Bradford clinical sciences foundation or a different undergraduate course. Thanks.
Reply 13
Original post by bboy420

They don't mind modular resits provided your A-levels were done under 2 years,.

Hi, I've recently fluffed up 2 of my AS level exams that I did last week :frown:
So if I resit in June, does this mean I still have a good chance to get into medicine providing I get good re-sit grades and do lots of voluntary work ect?

Thanks- I'm really stressing over this :P
Reply 14
Original post by Chloeeeeee
Hi, I've recently fluffed up 2 of my AS level exams that I did last week :frown:
So if I resit in June, does this mean I still have a good chance to get into medicine providing I get good re-sit grades and do lots of voluntary work ect?

Thanks- I'm really stressing over this :P

Yes of course you still have a chance of getting into medicine. Getting good AS grades will help an application massively. AAAB looks better than AABC. However a lot of universities don't even pay much attention to your AS grades apart from the fourth one you plan to drop. Remember your grades only make up a part of your application, personal statement and ukcat also needs to be factored in. Your AS grades are important in terms of getting the right predicted grades. You will find it harder to get your teachers to predict you 3As if you haven't achieved that at AS. Resit any mark you aren't comfortable with, it will help you out in the long run.
Reply 15
And they really won't penalize me for resitting an AS module?

Thank you so much :biggrin:

You have just made me incredibly happy :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies < I read this and started to panic, but does it mean they don't accept resits if they resat a whole year, or if they resat a module or two? Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Chloeeeeee
And they really won't penalize me for resitting an AS module?

Thank you so much :biggrin:

You have just made me incredibly happy :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies < I read this and started to panic, but does it mean they don't accept resits if they resat a whole year, or if they resat a module or two? Thanks :smile:

That resit criteria is specific to people who are resitting modules after year 13 i.e. over 2 years to get required grades of AAA. So you're fine to resit :biggrin:
Reply 17
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

:biggrin:

Honestly thank you :smile:
Im kind of in awkward situation; im in my last year at school (grade 12) but to my regret I didn't do too well in my AS exams. so I changed examination boards and I'm starting from square one (redoing my AS), and hopefully ill be done with my A-levels by may/june 2013.
does that mean im finishing in the two year time frame?
like in the sense ive changed exam boards, so universities will see it as my first attempt... right?
ive got tones of extracurriculars and work experience ( student co, treasury, debate club, class rep, prefect, toastmasters, MUN, newsletter, shadoweds doctors in Africa (2weeks), camp counselor(6weeks), Basic Life support, and something like a HCA(a month)) and i REALLY want to do med. do you think med schools will consider my aplication even though im repeating? (i did have family circumstances, but i dont want to blame my poor performance on that)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by MarshmallowBob
Im kind of in awkward situation; im in my last year at school (grade 12) but to my regret I didn't do too well in my AS exams. so I changed examination boards and I'm starting from square one (redoing my AS), and hopefully ill be done with my A-levels by may/june 2013.
does that mean im finishing in the two year time frame?
like in the sense ive changed exam boards, so universities will see it as my first attempt... right?
ive got tones of extracurriculars and work experience ( student co, treasury, debate club, class rep, prefect, toastmasters, MUN, newsletter, shadoweds doctors in Africa (2weeks), camp counselor(6weeks), Basic Life support, and something like a HCA(a month)) and i REALLY want to do med. do you think med schools will consider my aplication even though im repeating? (i did have family circumstances, but i dont want to blame my poor performance on that)

I think it would still count as completing A levels over 3 years. Even though you have switched exam boards it is kind of irrelevant. A level content is similar with a lot of overlapping between boards so its not really an excuse which will hold any water. Unfortunately applicants who take more than 2 years are at a severe disadvantage because medical schools want to see that you are able to cope with the academic rigor of doing 4As's then 3 a2s achieving As in the span of two years. My advice would be to email the universities explaining your circumstances and ask if they would accept an application from you. I would advise you to count the family issues as a reason for your poor performance because its better to have a seriously good reason for under achieving than just not doing well because you didn't study hard enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending