The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Another disappointing performance today. Although, I still think quite a few people are jumping the gun a bit over saying Kenny isn't good enough.

The premier league cannot be bought and spending some money over summer won't make us an instant success. How many millions have Manchester City spent and how long has it took them to get them where they are now? Yet still it looks like they won't win the league. Even Sir Alex himself took a couple of years to start the ball rolling.

Contrary to Manchester City, it looks as though Kenny is building a team to prime in the next 2-3 years without spending the masses that they did (Our net spends aren't actually that much due to Torres). Ok I agree I think Carroll is a shocking signing, but he may come good you never know. Yet in respect to the others we've definitely seen flashes of ability, e.g. Adam's passing can be immaculate which is helpful when he doesn't insist on committing silly fouls.

I know you could just say look at the table and recent results and we're doing worse under Kenny than many predecessors. But if you look at our style of play under Kenny, it's been a huge improvement in my opinion (admittedly it wasn't great against Wigan and Newcastle). The amount of chances we create and the amount of times we hit the woodwork is probably superior to any other team in the premiership. We've just not had the luck we need converting these chances. To be fair, I believe there's not much any manager can do about about that aspect bar some good ol' shooting practice.

Tl;dr: In my humble opinion, Kenny ought to be given at least another season to push on and improve. Perhaps need a signing or two in the summer, but we don't need more providing we get quality players. Fair enough if we're still in the same position next season then it's fair play to you critics, but on the basis of our performances and style of play this reason, I think (&hope) there would be a huge improvement.
Original post by Zerforax
Still can't work out what he was trying to do. Even if he was trying to dive to win a penalty, wouldn't it have been easier to tap it into an open net?

I think he just fell over his own feet. Makes no sense at all to dive in that situation.
Just saw this on a site;

" Kenny must be knighted , for services to comedy "
Original post by Chriswuk
Get krul sent off i guess?

No guarantee that you'd score from the penalty :s-smilie:

Original post by DaveSmith99
I think he just fell over his own feet. Makes no sense at all to dive in that situation.

Yea I think he might generally just be that clumsy tbh. Probably got overexcited about scoring and proving a point.
Reply 5464
Original post by Dorito
Don't think Kenny did anoy scouting when he signed these players. He just jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else that (for some unexplainable reason) thought Adam, Carroll, Downing and Henderson were good players... I slated his signings when he bought them but I was torn to pieces on this thread and was told they would all be brilliant.

:rolleyes:

You mention people on this thread 'tearing you to pieces' often but I can't remember anyone, especially not the regulars, defending the signings any further than 'give them a chance' or 'trust in Dalglish'. I must admit I wasn't on either of those sides and thought the whole thing was a mess; transfers and manager.
Haven't been on here for a while cos we've been **** and there's too much negativity.

But my god, what the **** is going on at our club?

Shambles.
Original post by Daniiel
Another disappointing performance today. Although, I still think quite a few people are jumping the gun a bit over saying Kenny isn't good enough.

The premier league cannot be bought and spending some money over summer won't make us an instant success. How many millions have Manchester City spent and how long has it took them to get them where they are now? Yet still it looks like they won't win the league. Even Sir Alex himself took a couple of years to start the ball rolling.

Contrary to Manchester City, it looks as though Kenny is building a team to prime in the next 2-3 years without spending the masses that they did (Our net spends aren't actually that much due to Torres). Ok I agree I think Carroll is a shocking signing, but he may come good you never know. Yet in respect to the others we've definitely seen flashes of ability, e.g. Adam's passing can be immaculate which is helpful when he doesn't insist on committing silly fouls.

I know you could just say look at the table and recent results and we're doing worse under Kenny than many predecessors. But if you look at our style of play under Kenny, it's been a huge improvement in my opinion (admittedly it wasn't great against Wigan and Newcastle). The amount of chances we create and the amount of times we hit the woodwork is probably superior to any other team in the premiership. We've just not had the luck we need converting these chances. To be fair, I believe there's not much any manager can do about about that aspect bar some good ol' shooting practice.

Tl;dr: In my humble opinion, Kenny ought to be given at least another season to push on and improve. Perhaps need a signing or two in the summer, but we don't need more providing we get quality players. Fair enough if we're still in the same position next season then it's fair play to you critics, but on the basis of our performances and style of play this reason, I think (&hope) there would be a huge improvement.

I think a lot here would have agreed with you a few months ago but since the turn of the year, we've been terrible.
Reply 5467
Original post by Daniiel

managers get the blame these days and especially if kenny don't show any sign of improvement, I think he should just resign/get the sack - no matter what he did in the past. Something like this will not be called improvement next season tbh. Don't think Kenny is the right man now to drive us forward. I think he'll use the same tactics next season.
I think a lot here would have agreed with you a few months ago but since the turn of the year, we've been terrible.

Mehh, just me or does this coincide with the Suarez ban?

Doubt it's the cause but coincidence nonetheless.
Reply 5469
Original post by Daniiel

It coincides with Lucas getting injured.
Original post by mr tim
managers get the blame these days and especially if kenny don't show any sign of improvement, I think he should just resign/get the sack - no matter what he did in the past. Something like this will not be called improvement next season tbh. Don't think Kenny is the right man now to drive us forward. I think he'll use the same tactics next season.

Ok managers get the blame these days, but it's extremely rare to find one who an immediately turn a teams fortunes around, Jose Mourinho being the only one which springs to mind in England. I'm just suggesting Kenny's tactics have shown promise and perhaps another season is all is needed to turn things around.
Reply 5471
If we finish in the bottom half of the table :facepalm2: We have absolutely wasted £100m+ and kept up our regression that began in the 09/10 season. This season has absolutely spunked all the goodwill and optimism we had started to build from October 2010. Spunked all over the wall.
Reply 5472
Original post by Daniiel

Doubt it, IIRC 4 of the games were cup games. It was around that time media was saying Liverpool were in great form - this epic slump started at United game, when Suarez in fact came back into the team.
Reply 5473
Original post by Daniiel
Ok managers get the blame these days, but it's extremely rare to find one who an immediately turn a teams fortunes around, Jose Mourinho being the only one which springs to mind in England. I'm just suggesting Kenny's tactics have shown promise and perhaps another season is all is needed to turn things around.

What tactics :confused: One of the biggest problems this season has been the lack of a coherent plan and absolutely baffling tactical choices.
Original post by Mess.
What tactics :confused: One of the biggest problems this season has been the lack of a coherent plan and absolutely baffling tactical choices.

Yea the 4-3-3 really didn't work today. Gerrard was completely wasted.
Reply 5475
Original post by lazy smurf
Haven't been on here for a while cos we've been **** and there's too much negativity.

But my god, what the **** is going on at our club?

Shambles.

The rot has set really, really deep.

**** knows how to fix it.
Reply 5476
Still can't work out what he was trying to do. Even if he was trying to dive to win a penalty, wouldn't it have been easier to tap it into an open net?

Lack of confidence in his finishing ability imo. He may have noticed the Newcastle defender closing in on him so he thought he would "play it safe" by claiming a penalty.
Guys don't forget Doni has played for us before.... he played 57 mins against Rangers before dislocating a finger and we had to bring Hansen on :facepalm:

I personally say good luck to the lad, this could be a big break for him if he plays well. It's what happened to Reina back in Spain, giving him his big break (although it didn't go as well as he would've hoped...)

Who will be our reserve? Brad Jones? Gulacsi's on loan and we shipped Hansen back off to Denmark in Jan..
Reply 5478
Original post by Daniiel

Tbf Kenny did for us last season when he took over, but then he's used completely different tactics this season and that's evident to see.
Reply 5479
We miss Lucas big style.

Latest