The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5520
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Which is the whole point I'm making. There's not a chance in the world the assistant would have been able to pick up on that though.

Er what? I said it was offside, he disagreed, so why quote me if you agree?
Original post by Deshi

To add a bit of balance. What's the point in arguing amongst ourselves when we've got everyone outside of the club sniping at us anyway?
Tbh on a different day Liverpool would have won that. That Newcastle guy should have been sent off and a penalty given. Completely different game. Also, one of Cisse's goals clearly offside. Also don't understand why basically everyone is saying Carroll dived. Looks like he just fell over to me. Ultimately a lot of knee jerk reactions. Newcastle are a good club. Obviously the recent form of the club is awful though.

Should Kenny go now? No, if he goes he has to go in the summer. Simple as that! What's the point in sacking him now exactly? He has a good cup record and that is what Liverpool have to play for now... The club are in crisis mode at the moment though and i can't see what Kenny's done to get another season. Get Benitez back when they can. Someone who loves the club, has a great track record with the club. No brainer. But seriously it looks like most of the players have lost faith in the manager. They're all playing awfully. A big reason to me which is why Kenny will probably walk at the end of the season. A complete contrast to last season though. Beggars belief tbh after how good they were end of last season. Don't understand what's happened really.
The hardest thing at the moment is trying to work out what platform to start from?

The management as a whole are doing something wrong.

The players aren't performing.

Ideally you start building around a core set of players but at the moment I can't think of who you'd want to rely on.
Reply 5524
Terrible, just terrible. Some of the excuses I'm hearing are just as bad.
I'd like Rafa back, but FSG have already listened to the fans once by appointing Kenny (you can see how thats turned out), not sure if they'll want to do that again - even with Rafa's track record.
Original post by Zerforax
The hardest thing at the moment is trying to work out what platform to start from?

Ideally you start building around a core set of players but at the moment I can't think of who you'd want to rely on.

Lucas, Skrtel and Agger.
Original post by Mr.Messy
I'd like Rafa back, but FSG have already listened to the fans once by appointing Kenny (you can see how thats turned out), not sure if they'll want to do that again - even with Rafa's track record.

Mmm sounds like a fair number here would like him back but I think the general Liverpool fans probably wouldn't? Many seemed happy for him to go at the time.

Original post by Gob Bluth
Lucas, Skrtel and Agger.

Agger is pretty injury prone to rely on imo. This might be his first season where he plays a significant number of games. Hope Lucas comes back as strong or stronger than before his injury. It was a serious one and it might take him a long time to get back to the same form..
Reply 5528
Agger's top class but he can't really be relied on with his injury record.

Original post by knoxuk
Terrible, just terrible. Some of the excuses I'm hearing are just as bad.

I don't see any excuses.
London is about 10 times bigger than Liverpool though.

Exactly, hence why I was bewildered by that point. You can't categorically say that a one club city will have more supporters than a 2 club city etc.
Reply 5530

3 of the 4 "core" players are out for the near future. In a matter of 10 weeks, we've practically imploded.

There is a problem in our formation and our tactics. I don't think we're pressing enough. This invites pressure on and inevitably leads to conceding when we don't have a proper defence. Normally it would be fine because we'll outscore the other team but that's not happening because we're lacking a striker. I feel we have to press much higher up the pitch but our team seems to lack the fitness to do so. Probably because of less intense training?

We desperately need a partner/backup to Lucas and a striker next season...not to mention a Silva/ pseudo winger player.
Reply 5531
Louis Van Gaal anyone? Always a safe bet in stabilizing a faltering club - Bayern were a bit up and down before he took over. Also has a great footballing philosophy and isn't a complete ****.
Reply 5532
To add a bit of balance. What's the point in arguing amongst ourselves when we've got everyone outside of the club sniping at us anyway?

He was a Newcastle fan :smile:
Reply 5533

Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard (yes I'd still have him in this bracket, form is temporary class is permanent), Lucas, Suarez. Johnson/Kelly and Enrique are good enough as well imo.
Mmm sounds like a fair number here would like him back but I think the general Liverpool fans probably wouldn't? Many seemed happy for him to go at the time.

Minus his last season with the club, he was always on the money (except a few questionable transfers and tactical decisions). I think he can lead us to better days, and at least CL football.

We played better football, we looked more hungry and we had fighting spirit. How I miss those days when he would conduct a post match interview and talk about our character after going 2 goals down but winning. :daydreaming:

He got quite a lot of stick from the media and fans after his Ferguson 'its a fact' press conference tbh but he was good for the most part.

I'm also putting his name forward because I cant see another top class manager that is available, or someone of a high calibre that we can attract.
Original post by Deshi
Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Gerrard (yes I'd still have him in this bracket, form is temporary class is permanent), Lucas, Suarez. Johnson/Kelly and Enrique are good enough as well imo.

Gerrard is obviously awesome but we can't build a team around him now. Realistically we have 7 or 8 players who are good enough to play for Liverpool FC out of a squad of 25.

Henry might give a new manager a bit of a war chest to play with but look at City - £450m or whatever it is spent and they still can't walk the league.

It looks like United, Chelsea and Arsenal will all spend big this transfer window, as well as City as per usual, and no one knows what Spurs will do - if they hold on to Bale and Modric they'll certainly be sniffing around next season too. It's a pretty depressing state of affairs all told, and I'm not sure anyone has an answer at the moment. :frown:
Original post by Mess.
A one club city will always have better support than one spread between two premier league clubs.

Newcastle may be a one club city but the nearest Premier League team after that is what, 10 miles away? Where's the nearest Premier League team outside Liverpool, Wigan? Quite a bit further.

Point is while Newcastle might be 99% Newcastle fans, outside the city you get a split. So if we take a 10 mile radius around Newcastle and Liverpool there's two big clubs in each, so I think it evens out.

Although I'm not sure I'd call Sunderland a big club...
Thank god John Henry won't tolerate Fking Kenny for any longer.

Bring on Capello.
We've won more than you in the last 2 months than you have in the last 50 years. The End.

40 years. Newcastle have won a European trophy in the last 50 years (two if you count the Inter-Toto cup).... :p:

London is about 10 times bigger than Liverpool though.

Yes, and Liverpool is larger than Newcastle (though the populations of Tyneside and Merseyside are broadly comparable).

Original post by Deshi

I didn't categorically say "it wasn't offside". My interpretation at the time, when distracted by work and not fully watching it, was that it received a touch this, along with the fact that there didn't appear to be many protests from Liverpool, led me to think it was possibly onside. This has been backed up by BBC, Eurosport and the Guardian. I will be back once I've seen it properly.

Ultimately I'm not a Newcastle fan and don't particularly care.

You can't blame the officials for not seeing it, especially considering the conditions. It's also not like Liverpool are the only team who have decisions go against them (this isn't aimed at you, it's a more general point in reply to a couple of earlier posts).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5539
Original post by James A
speaking of these players, enrique said he wanted to play top 6 football. LOL aint gonna happen for scouserpool this season. even everton are above you and i hope they annihilate you in the FA cup.

To be fair we actually need the Liverpool to do Everton in the semi's otherwise we might get screwed out of a European spot. I'm not too confident of them doing it mind but they must be the luckiest side in the league so hopefully they can scrape through.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest