The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5580
Original post by johnharris19944
I like kenny but he seems really out of touch, something needs to give at Liverpool, the owners cant keep throwing money away.
Reserve your loyalty for the manager and not the owners' balance sheet. The club has recouped over 70% of its expenditure from player sales. The problem has been the opportunity cost of our transfer dealings.
Original post by JoeK
Dalglish said when he took the job that he would step aside if it was better for the club. We'll see whether he stands by that.

I'd be happy to see Rafa come back, but I think the owners will be wary of bringing in a manager that has only recently left and is one that a number of fans are calling for. Pretty sure Henry took a swipe at him as well for the way money was spent, but I could be well of the mark there.

Still, there's plenty of top managers around. It just depends on whether we will be willing to pay the money to get them. Klopp, Emery, Bielsa would be on my short-list. Emery would be the most likely, seeing as Biesla seems to be building quite a force at Bilbao and will probably be one of the top choices to go to Barcelona. Klopp has performed wonders at Dortmund too.

This video sums up my feelings of the recent games as well, just replace play-offs with FA Cup.

Klopp won't move anywhere soon, he's building a young and promising Dortmund side, the club are backing him (see fee for Reus) and most youngsters are signing long term contracts.

Bielsa won't leave Bilbao, the whole club/area are about pure loyalty. Again is doing well with young players. Probably the best set of Basque youngsters for decades.

Emery isn't doing a great job at Valencia lately, results have dipped and they're now closer to 4th than to the top2.
Original post by Rainy
Reserve your loyalty for the manager and not the owners' balance sheet. The club has recouped over 70% of its expenditure from player sales. The problem has been the opportunity cost of our transfer dealings.

This is part of the problem, Kenny is bigger than the club and is seemingly beyond reproach or serious reproach - 'give him more time', because he's a club legend from the past. What did he do in football for the decade before taking over? Heck he was on holiday somewhere when offered the job in the first place.
Reply 5583
Original post by Kevmeister
This is part of the problem, Kenny is bigger than the club and is seemingly beyond reproach or serious reproach - 'give him more time', because he's a club legend from the past. What did he do in football for the decade before taking over? Heck he was on holiday somewhere when offered the job in the first place.
Read through the previous page.
Reply 5584
Original post by Zerforax
Klopp won't move anywhere soon, he's building a young and promising Dortmund side, the club are backing him (see fee for Reus) and most youngsters are signing long term contracts.

Bielsa won't leave Bilbao, the whole club/area are about pure loyalty. Again is doing well with young players. Probably the best set of Basque youngsters for decades.

Emery isn't doing a great job at Valencia lately, results have dipped and they're now closer to 4th than to the top2.

Yeah, absolutely agree regarding Klopp and Bielsa. They would just be two that I'd be interested to see what they could do. Klopp particuarly, as we are in a similar position to Dortmund's at the time he took over. The job he has done is absolutely incredible.

Valencia are struggling this season, yes, but that has got to be expected. He's taken Valencia from 10th to 6th and then never finished outside of the top 3. He's done all of this with a net spend of -66.5 million. He's lost Villa, Silva and Mata - without being allowed to reinvest the money.

I think he'll be available in the summer. He's similar to Benitez in many ways, an absolute workaholic football addict. He fits the young profile as well.
Original post by Rainy
Read through the previous page.

Don't see much on there pertaining to what I actually asked, but whatever.
Reply 5586
Don't see much on there pertaining to what I actually asked, but whatever.
You'd have asked him to clear out his desk by now?
Original post by JoeK
Yeah, absolutely agree regarding Klopp and Bielsa. They would just be two that I'd be interested to see what they could do. Klopp particuarly, as we are in a similar position to Dortmund's at the time he took over. The job he has done is absolutely incredible.

Valencia are struggling this season, yes, but that has got to be expected. He's taken Valencia from 10th to 6th and then never finished outside of the top 3. He's done all of this with a net spend of -66.5 million. He's lost Villa, Silva and Mata - without being allowed to reinvest the money.

I think he'll be available in the summer. He's similar to Benitez in many ways, an absolute workaholic football addict. He fits the young profile as well.

Don't understand this new obsession with appointing someone young. So long as they are healthy and would be able to potentially manage for the next decade, I'm fine with that.
Original post by orionmoo
You got the £60 ones then? I was SO tempted but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra tenner :mad:

Haha yeah, all thanks to my student loan though! Can't wait.
Reply 5589
Original post by Zerforax
Don't understand this new obsession with appointing someone young. So long as they are healthy and would be able to potentially manage for the next decade, I'm fine with that.

Only put it there as the owners have highlighted it. I'd agree with you though. Anyone that can sort this out would be welcome! :biggrin:
Original post by Rainy
You'd have asked him to clear out his desk by now?

No, unless you get demolished by Everton in a few weeks, he should get more time. But he can be criticized by the press - have you seen his interviews? He walked away before several have finished. Kenny needs a PR/media handling course or something, if he is to continue - for his own good more than anything. I don't believe any manager is beyond reproach, and if one that has garnered 8 points from the last 36 available cannot be critiqued/questioned without one labeling people cretinous then there's hope for Mancini if City fail to win the league.

Any manager can only do so much, what can Dalglish do before a game to know that Carroll was gonna dive instead of shooting at goal? Not much, but he can do a lot afterwards and its at this point that himself and Clarke are failing - six defeats in seven, but its not getting any better. There's something amiss in the team's preparation/mindset. Perhaps another coach or two to help take some strain off Kenny's load? The game has move on a great deal since he was in the firing line last, even Ferguson has said this - would Kenny have dealt with an agent before this season? I doubt it, and perhaps its the likes of this that he needs a hand with - give Comolli more responsibility? Tell him to deal with players' agents? I dunno.

Off out for a bit, so a reply to any reply will be this evening, but it's rambling anyway. :colondollar:
Original post by Gob Bluth
Tbh on a different day Liverpool would have won that. That Newcastle guy should have been sent off and a penalty given. Completely different game. Also, one of Cisse's goals clearly offside. Also don't understand why basically everyone is saying Carroll dived. Looks like he just fell over to me. Ultimately a lot of knee jerk reactions. Newcastle are a good club. Obviously the recent form of the club is awful though.

Should Kenny go now? No, if he goes he has to go in the summer. Simple as that! What's the point in sacking him now exactly? He has a good cup record and that is what Liverpool have to play for now... The club are in crisis mode at the moment though and i can't see what Kenny's done to get another season. Get Benitez back when they can. Someone who loves the club, has a great track record with the club. No brainer. But seriously it looks like most of the players have lost faith in the manager. They're all playing awfully. A big reason to me which is why Kenny will probably walk at the end of the season. A complete contrast to last season though. Beggars belief tbh after how good they were end of last season. Don't understand what's happened really.

Why did this get negged? I completely agree except I think it's clear Carroll did dive.
In 2011 we had strong performances is pretty much every match and didn't get the results we ultimately deserved due to a mixture of bad luck and a lack of decent finishing
Recently we've had some terrible performances because of a mixture of tiredness and low confidence, but yesterday we'd had a week break and looked strong until we conceded
My point is I think results have made it look like we're in a much worse situation than we actually are
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
Why did this get negged? I completely agree except I think it's clear Carroll did dive.
In 2011 we had strong performances is pretty much every match and didn't get the results we ultimately deserved due to a mixture of bad luck and a lack of decent finishing
Recently we've had some terrible performances because of a mixture of tiredness and low confidence, but yesterday we'd had a week break and looked strong until we conceded
My point is I think results have made it look like we're in a much worse situation than we actually are

Agree to a degree but it's not a small blip anymore, we're talking some 3 months worth.
Reply 5593
No, unless you get demolished by Everton in a few weeks, he should get more time. But he can be criticized by the press - have you seen his interviews? He walked away before several have finished. Kenny needs a PR/media handling course or something, if he is to continue - for his own good more than anything. I don't believe any manager is beyond reproach, and if one that has garnered 8 points from the last 36 available cannot be critiqued/questioned without one labeling people cretinous then there's hope for Mancini if City fail to win the league.

Any manager can only do so much, what can Dalglish do before a game to know that Carroll was gonna dive instead of shooting at goal? Not much, but he can do a lot afterwards and its at this point that himself and Clarke are failing - six defeats in seven, but its not getting any better. There's something amiss in the team's preparation/mindset. Perhaps another coach or two to help take some strain off Kenny's load? The game has move on a great deal since he was in the firing line last, even Ferguson has said this - would Kenny have dealt with an agent before this season? I doubt it, and perhaps its the likes of this that he needs a hand with - give Comolli more responsibility? Tell him to deal with players' agents? I dunno.

Off out for a bit, so a reply to any reply will be this evening, but it's rambling anyway. :colondollar:

Points we agree on:

Dalglish shouldn't be sacked

Dalglish is fallible

8/36 pts is unacceptable

our preparation/mindset and general strategy are a shambles

Does that sound fair?

I can't comment on his interviews because I actively avoid reading, watching or listening to the media circus. We could send out Jay Spearing to take over his interview duties for all it's worth to me. I actually believe that the media has a lot to answer for; it's right to keep them firmly at bay.

On your latter para, I would say that Comolli - as 'Director of Football' - largely controls transfers, contracts and agents. Contract signatories tend to be photographed with Comolli and not Dalglish. Similarly, we have continued to draft in English coaches even since Steve Clarke; Kevin Keen was brought in from West Ham over the summer, for instance.

I'll go for the tl;dr version of what I would say: We've gone from playing nicely to cluelessly ever since, well, Lucas doing his ACL early doors. We're now scraping the barrel. Dalglish ought to take much of the responsibility for our alarming lack of form and the main reason he's not out to pasture is that we as a support base and the club are a collection of 'delusional' 'racists' with 'superiority complexes' / try to have more respect for our traditions [delete as appropriate] than most other clubs. An appraisal should be scheduled for the end of the season and not a moment before.
Original post by lifeshard
I don't think it should be his role to lead the line anyway. He's a great player with an insane amount of talent who is an absolute gem, no doubt about that and we are very fortunate to have him. I am confident he can become a 20 goal a season striker. The attacking options he has playing with him are just not good enough at the moment. Woeful movement. Our big number 9 frequently engages in ball watching rather than thinking about how to get in the best positions to score. I almost feel worry for Suarez. He's expected to go past 5 players, round the keeper and then have it in him to finish it all off but most of the time he's ran out of space, time and breath and runs the ball out of play or blasts it's way wide or over the bar. Confidence is having a major impact as well, he struggles to finish off even the simplest of chances nowadays. The fact that Liverpools biggest problem this season has been scoring goals while at the same time have a 35m stirker on the bench is a huge testament to how bad of a signing Carroll is. Spending 35m we should have had a 30 goal striker which in turn would have made Suarez a 20 goal a season striker. What is Carroll on now? 3?

Agreed on pretty much everything. Carroll has to be possibly the worst Premier League signing ever. For thirty-five-million you could have bought a good striker with change left over for a top winger or defensive midfielder. Liverpool's transfer policy and scouting system appears to be a joke - when Newcastle are able to get Cabaye for 4.3 million, Cisse for 9 million, Ba for nothing...Tottenham get van der Vaart for 8 million, United get Hernandez for seven million...the list goes on. Big problems in the club that go deeper than Dalglish/the first team.
Original post by KingMessi
Agreed on pretty much everything. Carroll has to be possibly the worst Premier League signing ever. For thirty-five-million you could have bought a good striker with change left over for a top winger or defensive midfielder. Liverpool's transfer policy and scouting system appears to be a joke - when Newcastle are able to get Cabaye for 4.3 million, Cisse for 9 million, Ba for nothing...Tottenham get van der Vaart for 8 million, United get Hernandez for seven million...the list goes on. Big problems in the club that go deeper than Dalglish/the first team.

How many premier league strikers could you buy?

Berbatov - 30mil
Rooney - 26mil
Torres - 50mil
Bent - 24mil

Sure there are other examples but can't think of any off the top off my head.
I suggest you guys download The Anfield Wraps latest podcast. Very good listen. Almost therapeutic.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/theanfieldwrap/The_Anfield_Wrap_-_Ep.36.m4a
Reply 5597
Original post by DaveSmith99

Only have to laugh at the numerous Liverpool fans I've heard on the radio, seen on the forums and have texted me that Carroll didn't dive.

The useless idiot could've just scored too!
Original post by TomDixie
Only have to laugh at the numerous Liverpool fans I've heard on the radio, seen on the forums and have texted me that Carroll didn't dive.

I still can't believe he did that. To think he did great to get himself into that position, why throw it away? Stinks of someone with zero confidence. He actually thought he had a better chance at winning a penalty than scoring.
Original post by TomDixie

I genuinely believe that he's just so clumsy that he tripped over himself/the ball. Diving doesn't make any sense.

Latest