The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusmerehay
Benitez brought in a large number of Spanish (or Spanish-speaking) players, yes, but they were mostly younger players (Pacheco, San Jose, Insua etc).

He didn't have many flops to be honest. Nuñez in the Owen deal was one of the worst though.

It was either the £8m and no player for Owen or £8m and a player in a position that we needed to cover and was sold a year later. He was always used as a squad player, was nothing more and was never going to be at the club for a long time. Nuñez served a purpose for a season and was then moved on when Gerrard was moved out to wide right.
Reply 6221
The reserves are playing right now and the club has given no indication of the game at all nor are they showing it. Any reason why?
Original post by kuks
The reserves are playing right now and the club has given no indication of the game at all nor are they showing it. Any reason why?

Probably because it'll give a clue and indication of what Kenny is planning for the first team tonight. If Sterling starts for the reserves Blackburn will know that they probably won't have to face anyone with any pace or skill against us tonight.
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Name us his flops then and I'll tell you exactly what purpose they had at the time and how quickly they were moved on.

Morientes, Josemi, Nunez, Kromkamp, Voronin, Pennant, Nemeth, Babel, Dossena, Ngog, Robbie Keane, Riera, krygaikos, aqualiani and a whole host of free transfers who he bought and shipped out every season.
Original post by lifeshard
Not trying to add fuel to the fire but this video legit made me tear up a bit

Rafael Benetiz - He Made Us Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X12Tz9z0fN8

Goosebumps.
I hope blackburn win, i want them to stay up.

were going nowhere in the league so i dont care about our PL fixtures. as long as we win fa cup then ill give kenny a second chance next season.

if we can keep suarez and sign someone who can play on the rw then i think we have a chance of getting top4 next season at the very least
LMAO. That is all.
i think we have a good squad but we just havent performed good enough at times, kennys signings have been questionable and poor (for the amount of money he spent on them) at times.

benitez knows how to sign quality players for afordable prices, so if benitez was to come back at the end of this season i would be chuffed, but i would also on the other hand like kenny to get more time

i dont think kenny will be sacked at the end of this season. but i would like benitez to come back at some point in the future, i was sad when he left
Original post by word2yamother
Morientes, Josemi, Nunez, Kromkamp, Voronin, Pennant, Nemeth, Babel, Dossena, Ngog, Robbie Keane, Riera, krygaikos, aqualiani and a whole host of free transfers who he bought and shipped out every season.

Josemi did a decent job until we improved on him and brought in Arbeloa when he was sold. Step by step progression there.

Nunez I've already explained.

Kromkamp was decent, but was far too attacking for the way we were playing at the time.

Voronin was a calculated gamble at a free transfer, he didn't work out but nothing major was expected of him anyway.

Pennant was brought in to provide the crosses for Crouch, he was decent for us and was forced out of the team by Kuyt who was playing better at right wing than him. Again, we improved in the position and Pennant left.

Nemeth was brought in as a promising youngster, can hardly be labelled a flop because not all youngsters come through and make it.

Babel was one of the most wanted young players in Europe when we brought him in, it was his application and lack of footballing brain that stunted his development and not the way Rafa brought him on.

Dossena was the Italian left back who earned rave reviews in Italy and didn't adapt to the league. He's not doing too badly with Napoli now is he?

Ngog. Another promising youngster who looked decent at first but just didn't progress.

Robbie Keane. Signed by Rick Parry, not wanted by Rafa. ****ed off as soon as he could.

Riera was brilliant for us, he wasn't the most skillful winger in the world but he provided much needed balance to the side and was a key part of our title challenging team in 09. No way was he a flop!

Kyrgiakos. You want to go and find top quality cover for centre back for £2m? It just doesn't happen. Circumstance dictated the quality of player we could go or.

Aquilani actually played quite well for us...when he wasn't injured. Even then we were screwed over by the medical team who told Rafa that he'd be available by the end of August. Guess what Rafa did to the medical team after that? Yep, he ****ed them off!!
I think if you had any other manager OTHER than Kenny right now, he would have been sacked a while ago. The rational thing to do would be get Benitez back.
Sterling isn't playing for the reserves this afternoon.
Reply 6231
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Sterling isn't playing for the reserves this afternoon.

Probably be on the bench again then. Hope he gets a few more minutes this time.
Reserves team:

Ward, Mendy, Robinson, Sama, Wisdom, Coady, Suso, Roberts, Ngoo, Adorjan, Eccleston

Subs:

McGiveron, Belford, Roddan, Smith, Morgan
Reply 6233
Someone has tried to join this society btw and I have no idea how to accept him in.
we need rafa back, ASAP. but the only problem is i feel like king kenny deserves a second chance since he got us a cup after 6 years.. and he is very successful compared to hodgson :tongue: but i jst hope that if dalglish was ever sacked or he quit, then rafa shud be our first option
Could be a chance Sterlings involved tonight?

Edit; just realised its been mentioned already! Hope he does get longer on the pitch tonight.
Reply 6236
What Newcastle did was a risky manoeuvre, these players had no experience in the league and could they could easily have turned out to be major flops. Also, didn't Benitez use to do the same thing and he had a ratio of like 1 good player for every 4 flops.

I'd say its more risky to spend 60m on british crap, than 20m on proven talent abroad.
Reply 6237
Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
I think if you had any other manager OTHER than Kenny right now, he would have been sacked a while ago. The rational thing to do would be get Benitez back.

The rational thing to do would of been not to sack him in the first place.
Reply 6238

He bought and sold frequently because he had to. LFC actually made a loss on only a few players Rafa brought in, and those are easily covered by the sales of Mascherano, Torres and Alonso.
The key to stopping Jelavic?

Everton finally signed a prolific striker then scored four goals for the first time this season when he was not even in the matchday squad. But Everton's 4-0 win over Sunderland should not detract from Nikica Jelavic's fine start, and he fits into Everton's style of play well.

His five goals since his winter move from Rangers have been scored in a similar fashion. They all involved him making a dart towards the near post zone, then meeting a cut-back or cross and steering it into the far corner. Defenders (and opposition scouts) should now be aware of his movement and alert to the danger, and it will be interesting to see if Jelavic continues to be prolific once this has been worked out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/premier-league-possession-battle-tactics

Someone get on the phone to Kenny!

Latest