The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7680
Original post by gunit123
Whenever I have watched LFC play, you always seem to dominate games - on this occasion you dominated whilst taking your chances against a lesser opposition. Do u think u can contend for top 4 next season with a few quality signings?

If so, in what position(s)?

Well we've not had a top quality finisher and with Lucas getting injured, no defensive mid (Spearing for all his dedication is still ****) our season started to unravel. This coupled with our signings not pulling their weight and an unclear system of football means we've not done too well.

I think we can have a shot at top 4 next season as long as we buy a striker, a partner to Lucas and a wide attacking player and actually stick to a system of football.
Whenever I have watched LFC play, you always seem to dominate games - on this occasion you dominated whilst taking your chances against a lesser opposition. Do u think u can contend for top 4 next season with a few quality signings?

We do. That's the thing people aren't taking into account with our performances. We're dominating games, creating chances but we're not scoring and because of that we create pressure for ourselves and then make silly little individual errors that cost us the game. It's been the story of our season.

I think we can contend for top 4 next season and I don't think there's too much work to do. We need a central midfielder who's able to burst through, or sit deep allow Gerrard to get forward and burst through, a winger who actually assists the strikers and, this might surprise people considering how prolific we've been hitting the post this season, someone who can put the ball inbetween the two without giving the keeper a chance to pull off a worldy! We've hit the woodwork 31 times this season in the league, if we scored half of those we'd be contending for top 4 this season and could possibly be in it.

Wasn't a lesser opposition though, we were separated by just 3 points today.
Reply 7683
Original post by ChrisWilliams
We do. That's the thing people aren't taking into account with our performances. We're dominating games, creating chances but we're not scoring and because of that we create pressure for ourselves and then make silly little individual errors that cost us the game. It's been the story of our season.

I think we can contend for top 4 next season and I don't think there's too much work to do. We need a central midfielder who's able to burst through, or sit deep allow Gerrard to get forward and burst through, a winger who actually assists the strikers and, this might surprise people considering how prolific we've been hitting the post this season, someone who can put the ball inbetween the two without giving the keeper a chance to pull off a worldy! We've hit the woodwork 31 times this season in the league, if we scored half of those we'd be contending for top 4 this season and could possibly be in it.

Could this guy be your answer??? He's rated very highly by your club captain:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/10/joe-cole-messi-gerrard-liverpool
Could this guy be your answer??? He's rated very highly by your club captain:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/10/joe-cole-messi-gerrard-liverpool

No. He needs to be shipped out. Not as good as people make him out to be, is lazy and is on a fortune.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I still don't understand how a chant not about Hillsborough is offensive to Hillsborough?

"Always the victim, it's never your fault". Implies more than one event/incident - how does that not include Hillsborough?

Edit: I know the convo had moved on but was just reading through the thread and responding as and when I see posts. Cba multi-quoting as I go through. But yeah this had actually really booked me this song and I was surprised I had never heard others comment on the chant before hand as it's been sung for months now, but glad it's finally been mentioned and I'm not the only one who took it as including Hillsborough..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7686
Tbh I don't even know why the **** Norwich fans were singing it.
Original post by orionmoo
"Always the victim, it's never your fault". Implies more than one event/incident - how does that not include Hillsborough?

Heysel/Suarezgate. Two right there. You choose to believe its about Hillsborough, to play the victim card. Shock, horror.

Original post by Pn94
Tbh I don't even know why the **** Norwich fans were singing it.

Because the whole of English football was exposed to the Suarez case and how it was handled, perhaps?
I hope we'll provide some class when you come to us end of season. Suarez's last goal looked sick today
Original post by Kevmeister
Heysel/Suarezgate. Two right there. You choose to believe its about Hillsborough, to play the victim card. Shock, horror.

Always the victim, it's never your fault doesn't apply to Heysel though. Far more people than not accept that we were to blame and even the club accepted that we were to blame as well, offering to withdraw Liverpool from any European competition forever. UEFA and the FA talked them out of it though, and we took the extra years ban that we had over the rest of England with no complaints. If there's anything that song refers to, it is most definitely not Heysel.
Always the victim, it's never your fault doesn't apply to Heysel though. Far more people than not accept that we were to blame and even the club accepted that we were to blame as well, offering to withdraw Liverpool from any European competition forever. UEFA and the FA talked them out of it though, and we took the extra years ban that we had over the rest of England with no complaints. If there's anything that song refers to, it is most definitely not Heysel.

Only picked out two incidents to show that it's not necessarily about Hillsborough, tbh - you also have to remember that a song can be about a minority and not just a majority of a club's support.

Benitez's facts presser could be considered, too. The simple fact is that some people just look for negatives/bad stories, and choose to believe something when it may not be the case.
Original post by Kevmeister

I didn't say it was only about Hillsborough - I said the chant is plural, and includes Hillsborough, but rather obv it's about Suarez/Evra first... With regards to Heysel, I'm pretty sure LFC said sorry for it and several fans were imprisoned for manslaughter? :confused: So how is that playing the victim?

Yet many liverpool fans, including people on here, fail to accept that liverpool fans have to take a significant amount of blame for Heysel.
Yet many liverpool fans, including people on here, fail to accept that liverpool fans have to take a significant amount of blame for Heysel.

No they don't. Very few I know do, the vast majority that I know of do. The club accepts it and only a small minority of Liverpool fans don't so I don't know where that comes from. Chants like "Justice for the 39" that are sung are just ridiculous, as justice was served.
how amazing was suarez's 3rd goal, reminds me of the good ol' days when we had alonso who would score goals from the halfway line for jokes
Reply 7695

I don't know of a Liverpool fan who doesn't accept that Liverpool fans played a 'significant' part in Heysel. That's not to say there weren't other factors involved.
Suarez was wonderful today, really hope he stays and doesn't leave in the summer. He is our new Torres! Dare I say it, even better!

Wonderful performance and Bellamy was class!
For me, I don't even give the time of day to people who sing or even THINK 'Always the victim, it's never your fault'. For gods sakes, PEOPLE DIED. I feel bad for them just like I do for Hillsborough or how I would for ANY TRADEGY. Do you think the Liverpool fans that were present WANTED 39 italians to end up dead? Do you think they went to Italy armed with machine guns with the sole intention to cause mass destruction and obliterate as many Juve fans as they could? It is most often portrayed that way and if you really think that i'm not talking to you. You clearly don't have a close relationship with LOGIC. That situation got to a point it never should have and it's unfortunate. I have the deepest remorse for the people affected and I say rest in peace and that's all there is to it. Anyone who makes any other issue out of it is a child and needs to take a step away from football if it gets to the point where you cannot even seperate death and football fandom. Yes the disaster was caused mostly by aggressive and disorderly Liverpool fans. Liverpool Football Club served their ban from Europe. 39 people died and we can never bring them back. Does that mean I, as a Liverpool fan should be ashamed of myself? No Heysel happened 20 odd years before I was born. Why should I feel some sort of responsibility for it? Yes the Liverpool fans that were there acted disgustingly, I abhor them as I would had they been fans of any other football club. IN FACT, I will go further and say who they supported has no baring or relevance to the topic at hand anyway. It means nothing. It's like a mass murderer in China turns out to be a Spurs fan and then people start singing about it at Spurs games. This is how flawed and stupid the logic behind singing about disaster is. It makes no sense and the fact that a great number of people do it is sickening to me really.

I feel the same way about Heysel as I do Hillsborough, events I was not directly affected by but I feel endless remorse for the people that were. I will never understand people that think it's appropriate to sing about these issues as a stick to beat Liverpool fans with. Just like I am sickened by Liverpool fans, or any fans, that sing about Munich. It's juvenile, it's pathetic and it's hypocritical.

The club brings more attention to Hillsborough because there is an on going justice campaign.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DrFantastic
Suarez was wonderful today, really hope he stays and doesn't leave in the summer. He is our new Torres! Dare I say it, even better!

Wonderful performance and Bellamy was class!

Thought Bellers had a quiet game actually. How good does it feel to win a game? I'd forgotten how it feels.
Reply 7699
Many players played well today, nothing too much of an error from our defence that could have led to a goal tbh. The playing surface on the pitch with it raining wasn't good too. But why did we back pass it all the way to Reina from their half in the 2nd?

Anyway, Reina only made 1 save, so it seems he didn't do much.

So good to see a stat of us having low shots on target - these stats mean we win/score a good amount of goals right?

Latest