Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Liverpool FC Thread VII

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    The Chelsea game will be different. Chelsea will be favourites, it's a big pitch and both sides will be cagey but also going for the win.

If anything, I think Chelsea will play on the front foot and we'll play on the counter for most of the game, which will suit us more (if Carroll doesn't start).

We're still pretty solid defensively, and while we can't buy a goal when against 10 men behind the ball, I have more hope for when we hit on the counter. Main issue is that we can't concede first, otherwise we'll lose.

Kenny has some tough choices to make. We finally saw Gerrard play behind Suarez and it was one of his better performances. However, all of the midfield options - Spearing, Henderson, Shelvey were pretty poor yesterday.

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel - should be the defence but imo Carragher will start over one of the CBs (wrongly imo).

Suarez will be upfront, Gerrard will play somewhere in the midfield.

That's 4 other positions up for grabs? Downing will play on one wing most likely. Not sure who the other 3 players should be.
    Watching Fabio last night made me miss his crosses so much.. as you said Cara will probably start, and wrongly imo too. Midfield is a tricky one.. Firstly to Bellamy or not to Bellamy. We could most likely get a full game out of him, but do we want to or would we rather have him as a game changing sub? If the latter is the case then Maxi on instead? Although he played mid-week...

And what about Kuyt? And do you go with Spearing or Shelvey? Or both in CM.. I'm honestly glad I'm not Kenny, as after last nights performance by a half 1st team squadies/rotationers and half reserves, and the season long performances.... argh I don't know
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fabio taken off early to play in the final? :awesome:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought Fabio was very very poor tbh.

He's too slow on the ball.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Watching Fabio last night made me miss his crosses so much.. as you said Cara will probably start, and wrongly imo too. Midfield is a tricky one.. Firstly to Bellamy or not to Bellamy. We could most likely get a full game out of him, but do we want to or would we rather have him as a game changing sub? If the latter is the case then Maxi on instead? Although he played mid-week...

And what about Kuyt? And do you go with Spearing or Shelvey? Or both in CM.. I'm honestly glad I'm not Kenny, as after last nights performance by a half 1st team squadies/rotationers and half reserves, and the season long performances.... argh I don't know
    Aurelio's footballing ability with Enrique's physical attributes would be perfect. Shame the latter is a dunce.

Completely forgot about Bellamy!

................Suarez.......... .
    Bellamy.....Gerrard.........Down ing
    .........?????....Henderson..... ....
    Enrique...Agger...Carragher..Joh nson
    ................Reina........... .......

[I only put Carragher there because I expect Kenny to start him, even though I believe it should be Skrtel).

Shame I can't work out who should play ????? in midfield. Spearing and Shelvey were both poor..

Maybe Carroll will start and we'll move to a 4-4-2 or the same as above with Suarez in Gerrard's role?

.................Carroll........ .....
    Bellamy........Suarez.........Do wning
    .........Gerrard...Henderson.... ....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    I thought Fabio was very very poor tbh.

He's too slow on the ball.
    A lot of his crossing was hopeful too. We should've bought back the ginger ninja that is Riise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought Shelvey was good last night. Yes he misplaced a few passes, but I thought he kept us ticking nicely. A lot of the misplced passes were due to him expecting somebody to be making a run/moving to another area but they didn't. I thought last night it was obvious to see if we had an intelligent, fluid front 3 then Shelvey will excel.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stirlo)
    I honestly thought Shelvey was good last night. Yes he misplaced a few passes, but I thought he kept us ticking nicely. A lot of the misplced passes were due to him expecting somebody to be making a run/moving to another area but they didn't. I thought last night it was obvious to see if we had an intelligent, fluid front 3 then Shelvey will excel.
    Shelvey was good in the first half, absolutely woeful in the second half!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite warming to Coates. He's a bit leggy & was caught out of position a couple of times but nothing not to be expected with someone so inexperienced. Looks comfortable with the ball at his feet (although prone to the occassional hoof) and generally his positioning was good as well as tackling + he has a good aerial presence. Will be interesting to see him develop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of his crossing was hopeful too. We should've bought back the ginger ninja that is Riise.

Don't know how to multi quote coz i'm a noob but this is also to L18.

I thought he was pretty solid considering it was his first game in so long. Don't know why you thought his crossing was hopeful, I remember him putting plenty of balls onto carroll's head. The first one he tried was overcooked but after that they were quite good? Or am I living in an "I love Fabio dreamworld"? :confused:

(Just found the multi quite button...right next to the quote button )

Cole, Essien, Lampard, Mata, Drogba on the bench tonight for Chelsea, guess we will be facing the Drog instead of Fernando. Losing 1-0 already, Cisse
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    THAT was some goal from Papiss Cisse. Definitely my goal of the season.
    Hint of doubt for Chelsea heading into the FA cup final at least

Di Matteo tried out Drogba with Torres and it looked quite dangerous. I don't think he'll go that way though. I think we'll be facing Drogba with Torres coming on late on if they're chasing a goal.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeshard)
    THAT was some goal from Papiss Cisse. Definitely my goal of the season.
    Hint of doubt for Chelsea heading into the FA cup final at least

Di Matteo tried out Drogba with Torres and it looked quite dangerous. I don't think he'll go that way though. I think we'll be facing Drogba with Torres coming on late on if they're chasing a goal.
    4-5-1 for cup games, unless you're confident of scoring at least 2 goals seems to be the standard now. At least our loss to Fulham doesn't look as bad now.

I didn't watch their match, but with Torres playing the whole match and Drogba only part, I'd agree with you.

Cisse's goal was just outrageous, he was missing to the left and it ended up in the right corner XD
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Amazed that Chelsea tried to rotate. They won't get 4th place now. Would need to make up a 4 point game in 2 games, and overtake 2 other teams.

Guess RDM is aiming for 2 cups instead. Would love it if we smashed them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Amazed that Chelsea tried to rotate. They won't get 4th place now. Would need to make up a 4 point game in 2 games, and overtake 2 other teams.

Guess RDM is aiming for 2 cups instead. Would love it if we smashed them
    Let's hope this is the first of many defeats in May for them.

The problem I have is we've beaten them on the last four occasions that we've met, it feels like fate will have everything swing their way come Saturday to balance it all out.

That is totally going to be my exscuse if we lose come Saturday ^^^
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope this is the first of many defeats in May for them.

The problem I have is we've beaten them on the last four occasions that we've met, it feels like fate will have everything swing their way come Saturday to balance it all out.

That is totally going to be my exscuse if we lose come Saturday ^^^
    I'm not sleepy, I might go watch our double November win over them. I seriously hope it isn't their turn for a double May win over us in revenge... especially with Torres finding some form recently...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it's gonna be a different proposition this time around in comparison to November. Di Matteo's got them playing well & this is one of the last two chances that their 'old guard' will have to win a trophy. I'm not massively confident tbh because we have a very poor midfield and it seems Carragher will be starting.

Let's just hope we pull through somehow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well that made me happy for half an hour, watching 15 minute highlights of each.

Ahhhh Lucas, what a babe he is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Ahhhh Lucas, what a babe he is.
    I've watched his compilation vs Man City so many times, where he completely dominates their midfield all game long. Absolute tank.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn94)
    I'm not massively confident tbh because we have a very poor midfield and it seems Carragher will be starting.

Let's just hope we pull through somehow.
    If Kenny starts Carragher over Agger or Skrtel or tries to shift one of those two to accomodate Carragher like he did in the semi final, he has to be losing his mind surely? I mean we might not have even had a cup final to look forward to because of Carragher!

I'm not totally unconfident but I am uncomfortable.

I really hope we do edge it. I fear the reaction if we don't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Kenny starts Carragher over Agger or Skrtel or tries to shift one of those two to accomodate Carragher like he did in the semi final, he has to be losing his mind surely? I mean we might not have even had a cup final to look forward to because of Carragher!

I'm not totally unconfident but I am uncomfortable.

I really hope we do edge it. I fear the reaction if we don't.
    Seems to be some sort of nostalgia or desire to give him a send off on a high for some reason. Probably to convince him to stay on, either as a coach or a player but on lesser wages, in turn he gets to try and win something, as a reward for his long service too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fiortentina sack their coach due to him striking his own subbed player during the game (because the player sarcastically applauded the coach for subbing him).

15th in the league with 2 to play. Mathmatically I think they are more or less safe. Unless the coach firing makes them implode.

Should really aim to get a couple of their players imo
Updated: May 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.