The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9020
I actually remember earlier this season we were like the 1st best defensive record in the league, then we went behind to 2nd, not too far from 1st. Now we are 3rd, tied with Everton. Its a bit like the players didn't care. Adam, Spearing etc seem to give the ball away a lot, and shoot from outside the area when its obvious that they weren't going to score.

Really wished Kenny would rotate those players, rather than keep starting them, and actually rotate the players that actually played well.

We asked the "what if kenny was in charge at the beginning of last season" I guess we know the answer. Albeit a worse owners, I think it could have been the same if not worse?
Original post by So Instinct
It's 'LOL' because I found it funny.

Also, so?

He was a former England captain that doesn't mean he would be a good coach. Same goes for pretty much all you said.
Alan Shearer should be an awesome coach by that standard, he tried his luck and it didn't really work out that well and he was better player and better tactical awareness.

:sigh:

Completely ignore the basic fact that they played in two completely different positions and are therefore not comparable. Shearer would be **** at right back, Neville **** up front.

Newcastle were a sinking ship when Shearer took over. It's not like he had a full season, and being a manager is very different to being a coach so I really don't know what you're getting at. Also, how on earth are you judging tactical awareness? No idea what makes you think Shearer's is better.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Don't see what's so 'LOL' about it tbh.

Once you get passed that horrible Manc accent of his, it's clear that he's got very good tactical awareness, and as a former England captain he's got plenty of knowledge he can pass on to what will be a pretty inexperienced England squad, as has been evidenced by his stint on Sky Sports.

I just think people seem to think he's amazing because the standard of punditry in this country is embarrassing, In places like Italy and Spain his analysis is bog standard.
Reply 9023
Original post by checkolad
I just think people seem to think he's amazing because the standard of punditry in this country is embarrassing, In places like Italy and Spain his analysis is bog standard.

Have you any proof of this?
Reply 9024
Original post by Mess.
All the arguments to keep him seem to be centred around 'because he is Dalglish' which to me is the worst reason to keep him at the club.

I don't even think we are playing league winning football like has been discussed on TAW. You watch United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal and when those teams won the league over the last 15 years they won by every player knowing their jobs and every player trusting the manager that their instructions were the correct ones. Every player was mercilessly drilled as to their role and function at specific points in the match and the season.
Tbph we have played like where we are, a mid table team. We have just 'had a go' in almost every match and it has resulted in some absolute nonsense like Glen Johnson playing DM/CB in a weird back 5 against City :dontknow:

Hmm. But then you look at Spurs currently and United throughout the last decade and the game plan is often quite basic, similar to how we've tried to play for the majority of this season. 4-4-2 with fast wingers and clinical strikers, and a midfield that can win and recycle the ball effectively. I think it's more a point about certain players understanding their own roles and not needing the same amount of tactical drilling that less intelligent players require. The problem is that the large majority of our players just aren't intelligent enough for that sort of style. As an example, I don't think Downing would be as **** as he has this season if he'd been given clear direction on the pitch. The majority of the time he looks lost - does he even know what he's meant to be doing? At times he tries to half heartedly take his man on, the rest of the time he just passes back into midfield/to his FB. His poor performances can't all be down to him crumbling under pressure. Then you look at Enrique. He makes all the wrong runs at the wrong times, has next to no understanding with Downing. The worst thing is that it's been happening all season; there's been no improvement, in fact we've become worse. Why haven't the problems (that were obvious from the first couple of months of the season) been ironed out? I just couldn't see that happening under another more scrutinous manager.

You can use Carroll as another example, he's a large number 9 who's good in the air, so why does he end up on the wing/in midfield/at the back? Why isn't he making runs into the box and getting on the end of crosses? Even recently - despite his improved performances, he still ends up looking like a headless chicken half of the time who just runs around attempting to head everything. It looks like Kenny sends them out and just tells them to play without really considering individual strengths/weaknesses or formulating a specific gameplan.

On the flipside, at the end of last season we saw some great football being played and we **** all over quite a few teams. But we had Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt, Lucas and Rodriguez on the pitch together throughout those games - intelligent players who I'd say suited the footballing style Dalglish wants to implement.

You could ultimately just say that we (our squad) don't suit the style of football that Dalglish wants; the natural thing to then do would be to sack him. Tbf it's a valid point from the TAW guys. Maybe could attribute it to the signings he's made. Carroll/Downing/Enrique/Adam are generally not intelligent football players, and maybe if we were to go out and sign such players this summer then it could click again next season like it did in the first few months. There's the argument for keeping him on I suppose.

My own opinion now probably is that we should probably get a new manager in (Rafa or someone similar) who can get the players to perform to a better level, because I can't see Dalglish doing it from what I've seen this season, which has just been the same thing over and over again. Imo, we've actually got a squad that (with the correct drilling) can get top 4 with a couple of well placed additions.
Original post by Mess.
Have you any proof of this?

Well I am Fluent in Spanish because I was born there and mover here aged five. When ever I stay at my dads I watch a bit of football and the analysis is much more detailed.
Reply 9026
Original post by Pn94

On the flipside, at the end of last season we saw some great football being played and we **** all over quite a few teams. But we had Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt, Lucas and Rodriguez on the pitch together throughout those games - intelligent players who I'd say suited the footballing style Dalglish wants to implement.

This is a really important point IMO. Some of the players in our squad right now are, for lack of a better phrase, football dumb. They have the talent to succeed but don't have the brains to do it. Henderson will get it as he matures, Downing is ****e all around, Adam always tries to do the best looking option and Carroll doesn't anticipate where the ball is going to go as well as he should.
Reply 9027
Original post by kuks
This is a really important point IMO. Some of the players in our squad right now are, for lack of a better phrase, football dumb. They have the talent to succeed but don't have the brains to do it. Henderson will get it as he matures, Downing is ****e all around, Adam always tries to do the best looking option and Carroll doesn't anticipate where the ball is going to go as well as he should.

Yep.

But I feel these are things which can be improved with the correct coaching. We can't sell all of Adam/Enrique/Carroll/Downing etc so we have to work with them and improve them. Dalglish doesn't seem to be the man to do that. Look at us under Rafa. Players like Crouch, Bellamy when he first came, Riera, Riise, Finnan etc weren't naturally fantastic footballers but Benitez ensured that they maximised their potential and they all proved to be very useful players for us. The same needs to be done with the current crop.
Reply 9028
Original post by Pn94
Yep.

But I feel these are things which can be improved with the correct coaching. We can't sell all of Adam/Enrique/Carroll/Downing etc so we have to work with them and improve them. Dalglish doesn't seem to be the man to do that. Look at us under Rafa. Players like Crouch, Bellamy when he first came, Riera, Riise, Finnan etc weren't naturally fantastic footballers but Benitez ensured that they maximised their potential and they all proved to be very useful players for us. The same needs to be done with the current crop.

I agree. All the players did well because Rafa gave them each a role to do and then drilled it into them. They knew exactly what they needed to do on the pitch and what their roles were. I don't see that in our team right now.
Original post by L18
Its no golden samba.

I have an exacty copy of that trophy sitting on my desk currently.

??

You work for SC?
Reply 9030
Original post by orionmoo
??

You work for SC?

Or a player of the month winner :iiam:
Original post by kuks
I agree. All the players did well because Rafa gave them each a role to do and then drilled it into them. They knew exactly what they needed to do on the pitch and what their roles were. I don't see that in our team right now.

You are exactly right. I wrote a piece showing how much we've gone backwards since last season: http://www.holdingmidfield.com/?p=519
Original post by L18
No.

What if we sack Dalglish, bring someone in and he has an awful year next year? Do we sack him as well? Football managers need continuity to be able to impose their style and belief on the team. Did Ferguson get it right at Manchester United straight away? No, he had an awful season where he was within a game of being sacked.

Everyone knows our league form has been pathetic. Dalglish knows it as well, but he's not going to hang his players out to dry in the media.

The loss of Lucas has been massively underplayed. Prior to that, we were well within touching distance of 4th place. Since then, our points per game average has dropped by nearly an entire point. Our biggest problem is not Dalglish, it was not bringing in a short term cover for Lucas in January.

This is not to say Dalglish hasn't got a lot of things wrong. He has. Most notably the continued insistence of playing Carragher over Coates.

At the end of the day, we need to get out of this habit we seem to have inherited from the rest of England where one bad season = out on your arse.

Fair enough. I don't believe that that's an unreasonable point of view. I just think that the tolerance for this season has been because his name is Kenny Dalglish, and were it another manager, there would have been far more calls for his head.

Out of interest, were you saying the same thing about time when Roy Hodgson was manager? :holmes:
The Anfield Wrap was a great listen and a must for any red out there.

In my opinion I didn't find that any of them gave a real valid reason for Kenny staying but I don't think this is because ''he is Kenny Dalglish, the soul of this football club, he deserves respect". It's because they don't know who can replace him. They don't know if we can get anybody better. They're not saying it but I know that's the one thing holding me back from being 100% for the ousting of Kenny. That, and he has got a good CV. One that had he been anybody else, we'd consider him out of our reach. An absolute legend of the game, a born winner. Appointing him made sense but this season has not made sense. I can't think of a reason to keep him other than we've played well consistently but honestly that's just because we've got good players. We like to think they all have less talent combined than Suarez has in one toe but generally, thinking objectively the likes of Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam are solid decent players capabale of good football. But we need more than that, that's why this 'but we've played well'' argument lacks substance. For me, Kenny is clearly a man who tells the players to go out and express themselves. This is obvious in the fact that we have no idea what our system is. They players are told just to do. I can't know this for sure but this is what I think. For a team that is largely assembled by above average players but not great players (considering all of our great players are either injury prone or unreliable like Suarez) it is nonsensical to assume that they are capable of doing anything more than they have done their whole lives. Be average. We are 8th because of that.

I don't know if Kenny is the man to take us forward. On the basis of this season alone, I don't think he is. On the basis of his CV he should have been, but he hasn't been. I'm of the opinion Niel Atkinson expressed, if Kenny were to be sacked I would have no qualms about that and I wouldn't be upset if he was kept either.

If you think about it in Gerard Houliers first season I think we finished seventh with 54 points and in Rafa Benetiz's first season we finished 5th on 58 points, won the CL and got the CC final. Winning the CL aside, imagine if we had sacked Rafa because of the poor league form and being a cup side? A year later we finished on 82 points and with an FA cup without any marquee signings. A few years later we were ranked number one in Europe. We put up our first real push for the league title in 19 years and almost did it. I'm just saying that a poor league record in your first season doesn't neccessarily mean the sack. This mentality is dangerous tbh. Do you see here, i've just talked myself out of sacking Kenny? Just like one of the lads said on TAW, one day I wake up and want him gone the next I wake up and want him to stay.

Also, sacking Kenny would set a precedent. From then on we have to sack every manager if they don't have a good first season. Do we really want to do that?

It's the way we spent so poorly in the summer that is the biggest worry but the sacking of DC is clearly a move to rectify that.
Original post by KingMessi
Fair enough. I don't believe that that's an unreasonable point of view. I just think that the tolerance for this season has been because his name is Kenny Dalglish, and were it another manager, there would have been far more calls for his head.

Out of interest, were you saying the same thing about time when Roy Hodgson was manager? :holmes:

People who compare Kenny with Roy are the sort of people that don't rate defenders because they don't score. Have a bit of logic about you and understand that Roy wasn't sacked because he wasn't Kenny and just because Kennys doing badly doesn't mean Roy didn't do badly or we should have kept him. It was because he was managing Liverpool Football Club but he wasn't a winner. It's ridiculous to be a football manager and not be bothered about winning which just oozed out of every pore in his body. He was a shambles. Nothing he said was right. We played passive submissive football. He said stuff like ''this isn't good enough for a team wanting to finish in the top half". There was just nothing positive. Nothing. It's not the same with Kenny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9035
Original post by lifeshard
The Anfield Wrap was a great listen and a must for any red out there.

In my opinion I didn't find that any of them gave a real valid reason for Kenny staying but I don't think this is because ''he is Kenny Dalglish, the soul of this football club, he deserves respect". It's because they don't know who can replace him. They don't know if we can get anybody better. They're not saying it but I know that's the one thing holding me back from being 100% for the ousting of Kenny. That, and he has got a good CV. One that had he been anybody else, we'd consider him out of our reach. An absolute legend of the game, a born winner. Appointing him made sense but this season has not made sense. I can't think of a reason to keep him other than we've played well consistently but honestly that's just because we've got good players. We like to think they all have less talent combined than Suarez has in one toe but generally, thinking objectively the likes of Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam are solid decent players capabale of good football. But we need more than that, that's why this 'but we've played well'' argument lacks substance. For me, Kenny is clearly a man who tells the players to go out and express themselves. This is obvious in the fact that we have no idea what our system is. They players are told just to do. I can't know this for sure but this is what I think. For a team that is largely assembled by above average players but not great players (considering all of our great players are either injury prone or unreliable like Suarez) it is nonsensical to assume that they are capable of doing anything more than they have done their whole lives. Be average. We are 8th because of that.

I don't know if Kenny is the man to take us forward. On the basis of this season alone, I don't think he is. On the basis of his CV he should have been, but he hasn't been. I'm of the opinion Niel Atkinson expressed, if Kenny were to be sacked I would have no qualms about that and I wouldn't be upset if he was kept either.

If you think about it in Gerard Houliers first season I think we finished seventh with 54 points and in Rafa Benetiz's first season we finished 5th on 58 points, won the CL and got the CC final. Winning the CL aside, imagine if we had sacked Rafa because of the poor league form and being a cup side? A year later we finished on 82 points and with an FA cup without any marquee signings. A few years later we were ranked number one in Europe. We put up our first real push for the league title in 19 years and almost did it. I'm just saying that a poor league record in your first season doesn't neccessarily mean the sack. This mentality is dangerous tbh. Do you see here, i've just talked myself out of sacking Kenny? Just like one of the lads said on TAW, one day I wake up and want him gone the next I wake up and want him to stay.

Also, sacking Kenny would set a precedent. From then on we have to sack every manager if they don't have a good first season. Do we really want to do that?

It's the way we spent so poorly in the summer that is the biggest worry but the sacking of DC is clearly a move to rectify that.

5th is a bit different to 8th, especially bearing in mind this season has broken/equalled records for being terrible, and the champions league trophy is a bit different to the carling cup though isn't it?
Original post by kuks

See, Downing isn't ****e all around.

I remember in the first game of the season he made a nice run and then hit the bar. I just think his confidence is shot to pieces and the football seems to have been coached out of him. He was voted as Villa player of the season in his last season there and i seem to remember hearing he put a class performance in against Liverpool at the end of the season scoring and assisting another, or something like that?

Also Liverpool's demise has coincided with Adam's injury hasn't it? :colone:
Original post by Stirlo
5th is a bit different to 8th, especially bearing in mind this season has broken/equalled records for being terrible, and the champions league trophy is a bit different to the carling cup though isn't it?

58 points is hardly any better than 52 and would have had us seventh in this season anyway which is barely any different to 8th. There's just a lot more competition around now then there was then. The Champions League trophy is definitely better than the Carling Cup, i'm not a moron and that's not what I was even saying. I was pointing out that maybe when a new manager comes him, it takes him a while to get to grips with the league. Getting his team to where he wants it to be. Hence why they both seemed to excel in the cups but really, really struggled in the league.

Not to mention the way we won that CL final is probably one of the biggest 'what just happened?' in football and might not happen ever again. Had the miracle of Istanbul not happened, we'd remember the disastrous league form of that season a bit more. But alas lifiting big ears and the heros welcome that came with it meant the league became utterly redundant!

I'm sure we broke records for being terrible in the league then too. We've just surpassed them or broke different ones haha

And on Mess's point that Kenny wouldn't step down unless he was pushed. You do know that that man loves this club as much as we do. I'm sure he wouldn't want to stay when he hasn't an iota how to fix it or there were better men out there and run us down into the ground even further. You do know he's left the club willingly before? And that was when nobody wanted him too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by River85
:sigh:

Completely ignore the basic fact that they played in two completely different positions and are therefore not comparable. Shearer would be **** at right back, Neville **** up front.

So what your saying is the fact that Neville was a defender gives him an advantage?
I don't see your point.
Reply 9039
Original post by lifeshard
58 points is hardly any better than 52 and would have had us seventh in this season anyway which is barely any different to 8th. There's just a lot more competition around now then there was then. The Champions League trophy is definitely better than the Carling Cup, i'm not a moron and that's not what I was even saying. I was pointing out that maybe when a new manager comes him, it takes him a while to get to grips with the league. Getting his team to where he wants it to be. Hence why they both seemed to excel in the cups but really, really struggled in the league.

I'm sure we broke records for being terrible in the league then too. We've just surpassed them haha

And on Mess's point that Kenny wouldn't step down unless he was pushed. You do know that that man loves this club as much as we do. I'm sure he wouldn't want to stay when he hasn't an iota how to fix it or there were better men out there and run us down into the ground even further. You do know he's left the club willingly before? And that was when nobody wanted him too.

He left the club willingly because of the immense mental and physical toll that Hillsbrough had took on him. With regards to Dalglish in his current guise I 100% do not believe he would step down himself due to how much he loves the club. He genuinely believes he is the best man for the job, he has said it repeatedly and it has been reported more often.
I don't think he would see it as running the club in to the ground, just that it is the best that anyone could possibly do.

Latest