The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9140
Original post by Deshi
Carroll in the England squad apparently. Surprised by that.

Where are people getting all this info from on the squad?
Original post by Kaz310
Where are people getting all this info from on the squad?

Being rumoured in papers and gossip columns.
Reply 9142
Original post by Zerforax
Being rumoured in papers and gossip columns.

I've just seen it on BBC sports. What happened to naming a 32 man provisional squad first before cutting it down? Hes set to name the 23 man squad at 1pm. And Carrol is set to feature in it. For gods sake. Rio, Parker and Walker all set to miss out. I have a bad feeling the squad will pretty much be unchanged from the 2002 world cup squad. :rolleyes:
Original post by Kaz310
I've just seen it on BBC sports. What happened to naming a 32 man provisional squad first before cutting it down? Hes set to name the 23 man squad at 1pm. And Carrol is set to feature in it. For gods sake. Rio, Parker and Walker all set to miss out. I have a bad feeling the squad will pretty much be unchanged from the 2002 world cup squad. :rolleyes:

Probably due to the latestness of the appointment and the limited time before the Euros.

I'd imagine some players will be told that they are reserves.

Parker is over-rated
Ferdinand has injury issues and won't have a future at the next tournament, with plenty of replacements currently available
Plenty of right back options and isn't Walker injured?
Reply 9144
Probably due to the latestness of the appointment and the limited time before the Euros.

Parker is over-rated
Ferdinand has injury issues and won't have a future at the next tournament, with plenty of replacements currently available

Parker is NOT overrated. If anyone is overrated, its that plonker Gareth Barry where he has other good players next to him that make him look good.

I don't mind Ferdinand not playing, theres plenty of other options now.

Yes Walker is injured. Broken toe and all. The next choice would be sticking Micah Richards there, but we all know that Johnson will play there anyway( whos rubbish at times when defending) Like I said, Roy Hodgson will probably already have his favourites. He won't look much into whos on form or not. Which is why Holt won't be in the squad nor will Defoe.
Reply 9145

Parker is over-rated

I genuinely thought that I was the only person that thought this. You'd think he was one of the best midfielders in the world the way people go on about him.
Anyone think we should be going for Adam Johnson in the summer? He's English so perhaps we should avoid..

He'll be 25 in the summer so he's not a spring chicken. I'd imagine he will be on serious wages since he's at City and signed a contract extension after the new owners came in.

However, his games have been limited at Man City, he'd be willing to leave if he got game time. He looks like a good attacking winger, although I'm not sure about his work rate or tracking back..

Probably cost like 10mil and 60k in wages?
Reply 9147
Original post by Deshi
I genuinely thought that I was the only person that thought this. You'd think he was one of the best midfielders in the world the way people go on about him.

You take that back! He's brave lion hearted Scott Parker. He single handedly beat Germany in World War 2 and made it back for the start of the next season.
Original post by Deshi

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he obviously puts in his tackles and generally does a job in the middle for Spurs. He's added a sense of steel to their usually soft middle.

However I don't think his form has been amazing for the second half of the season, Spurs have been poor too.

He might win the ball in the middle but I don't think he does enough going forward with it.

Rather have Barry or Carrick in the middle, both are good at positioning to make up for the lack of pace and can screen for the defence but also are able to pass the ball in an attacking manner.
Reply 9149
I'm not saying he's a bad player, he obviously puts in his tackles and generally does a job in the middle for Spurs. He's added a sense of steel to their usually soft middle.

However I don't think his form has been amazing for the second half of the season, Spurs have been poor too.

He might win the ball in the middle but I don't think he does enough going forward with it.

Rather have Barry or Carrick in the middle, both are good at positioning to make up for the lack of pace and can screen for the defence but also are able to pass the ball in an attacking manner.

Yeah I still rate him and I am convinced that a midfield of Parker, Wilshere (or Carrick, but prefer Wilshere) and Gerrard would be perfect for England.
Original post by Deshi
Yeah I still rate him and I am convinced that a midfield of Parker, Wilshere (or Carrick, but prefer Wilshere) and Gerrard would be perfect for England.

Well Whilshere is out of the Euros and I don't know if Parker and Gerrard will make it to the World Cup in 2 years time.
Reply 9151
Original post by Deshi

Phew, at first I thought you lot didn't rate him AT ALL. Obviously hes not a world beater. But hes does a job with his work rate. Although when he was at West Ham, he was good going forward and scored some unbelievable goals( the year before he joined Spurs.) I'd just wished he bought that at the Lane but he hasn't. But defensively, hes sound and all he would need are players like Lampard, Gerrard, Wilshere next to him to the attacking job.
Reply 9152
Anyone think we should be going for Adam Johnson in the summer? He's English so perhaps we should avoid..

He'll be 25 in the summer so he's not a spring chicken. I'd imagine he will be on serious wages since he's at City and signed a contract extension after the new owners came in.

However, his games have been limited at Man City, he'd be willing to leave if he got game time. He looks like a good attacking winger, although I'm not sure about his work rate or tracking back..

Probably cost like 10mil and 60k in wages?

No way will City sell him for £10m to us.

Swerve the english market. Hopefully we've learnt our lesson.
Reply 9153
Well Whilshere is out of the Euros and I don't know if Parker and Gerrard will make it to the World Cup in 2 years time.

I know, it's just a trio who I think would compliment each other very well.

Original post by Kaz310
Phew, at first I thought you lot didn't rate him AT ALL. Obviously hes not a world beater. But hes does a job with his work rate. Although when he was at West Ham, he was good going forward and scored some unbelievable goals( the year before he joined Spurs.) I'd just wished he bought that at the Lane but he hasn't. But defensively, hes sound and all he would need are players like Lampard, Gerrard, Wilshere next to him to the attacking job.

He does score some good goals, when West Ham beat us (?) last year he scored that goal with the outside of his boot.
Reply 9154
Original post by L18

True but if they get Eden Hazard then he just falls further behind the pecking order...but I do agree with you, we shouldn't buy British.
Reply 9155
You guys need some serious investment and more importantly a new manager.
Many times this season you were clearly the better team but employed tactics that would make a fifa manager fanatic cringe.
Original post by L18

I don't think City will view us as a threat or a rival anymore. We've fallen so far.

I'd imagine if he leaves, he'll stay in England and be touted to the likes of Villa, Sunderland, Fulham etc for circa 10mil. Can't see him being valued any higher.

We just need a scouting team and a manager who knows about foreign players first..

It's been 4 or 5 weeks since Comolli was sacked, I'm amazed we haven't filled his role yet.
Reply 9157
Original post by facdroit

Many times this season you were clearly the better team but employed tactics that would make a fifa manager fanatic cringe.

Only a moron would be unable to see the serious irony with this statement.
Original post by Deshi
True but if they get Eden Hazard then he just falls further behind the pecking order...but I do agree with you, we shouldn't buy British.

Buying/having English players isn't a problem - Man Utd have had an English core for a number of years and have been successful.

It's just if we do get English players, we need to ensure they are the best and comparative to any other nationality of players.
Reply 9159
Buying/having English players isn't a problem - Man Utd have had an English core for a number of years and have been successful.

It's just if we do get English players, we need to ensure they are the best and comparative to any other nationality of players.

The problem isn't buying English players, it's buying the 'best of the rest' which Man City tried and then hastily abandoned because it doesn't work.

Latest