The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by TaylorGang_4
Anyone got any info on 224?

There is a link on the lfc website which shows you the view from each block.

Dunno were to find it tbh
Original post by Tom_Hagen
We need a striker now I think.

I'm not one for panic buying, but we definitely need another striker.

Waiting till summer is too much of a risk, even if we can scrape 4th this year after 7 home draws would be a good achievement. It definitely isn't impossible though.

What happens if we spunk 20mil and we still don't get 4th? Then we'd be stuck with another striker who can't hit the back of the net.
Original post by Zerforax

What happens if we spunk 20mil and we still don't get 4th? Then we'd be stuck with another striker who can't hit the back of the net.

Yeah, I think carroll should be given time. He shouldn't be put on in the 75th min for the only person who can cross the ball for him.
Original post by L18
Why haven't you got a memebrship out of interest?

You seem to be causing yourself a lot of unnecessary agro getting tickets

My student loan is **** and doesn't cover my rent and my NHS bursary only covers my bills so I can barely afford to live at the moment let alone spend the money needed on a ticket to go the match :frown: The extra £30 membership on top of that is just an expense I can't afford so this looks like it'll be my one and only match this season!

Hopefully we'll have Europe again next season for me to go to more games.
Original post by orionmoo
So they went to general sale? Where did you get?

Fancard members mate. I'm Main Stand, block ME.
Anyone got any info on 224?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tickets/anfield-seating-plan

You can see it here :smile:

cheers mate, seems like a good view!
Reply 107
cheers mate, seems like a good view!

Think 224 is quite near the away fans
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Fancard members mate. I'm Main Stand, block ME.

I'll be in MF! :biggrin:
I'll be in MF! :biggrin:

Look out for me, I'll be in red :wink:
Reply 110
Would've loved to have gone to the match, but train tickets from newc to liverpool would swallow 1/4 of my budget for this semester :frown:
Change of tack from Liverpool and Stoke leads to disjointed stalemate

Stoke City present a unique challenge within the Premier League. They have the lowest average possession, attempt the fewest shots per game and have scored the fewest goals in open play, but win more aerial duels than any other side. Even if you have not seen them play, you would be able to deduce their style merely from assessing the numbers.

Since Tony Pulis's side were promoted in 2008, Liverpool have struggled against them, winning just two of the eight league matches between the sides. In 2008-09 under Rafael Benítez, for example, Liverpool recorded two 0-0 draws. Arsenal were the only other side in the league not to be defeated by Benítez's side that season and, although it is a simplistic point, had Liverpool won those two games against Stoke 1-0 rather than drawn 0-0, they would have won the league on goal difference from Manchester United.

Shortly after taking over a year ago, Kenny Dalglish decided to play a 3-4-2-1 at home against Stoke. The main reason was to get more height in the side it worked well, as Liverpool won the majority of aerial battles, 57%. They also managed to dominate possession to such an extent that Stoke did not force a single corner, and with Rory Delap on the bench they had less threat from throw-ins too. Stoke offered little in open play, and Liverpool won 2-0.

Inspired by that victory, Dalglish did the same at the weekend. Although in his post-match interview he said the shape was partly due to the personnel available, it was clearly an attempt to replicate the success of last year it is the first time this season Liverpool have played a back three, and they did have the options to go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, the two regular systems.

On seeing Liverpool's team sheet, Pulis changed his own formation. "When we got the Liverpool team, it seemed as though they were going to play with three centre-halves and push the wing-backs on," he said. "So we made a couple of adjustments to what we wanted to do.

"We had thought they would play either 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, so when they came with three centre-halves, it was important that we changed it. We had certain areas of the pitch we wanted to make sure we were strong in." Liverpool had adapted to Stoke by changing their shape, then Stoke had counter-adapted. The result was that neither side were playing their first-choice system, and both looked disjointed throughout the match.

With their 3-4-2-1, Liverpool again dominated possession, and restricted Stoke to one corner. Again, Delap was on the bench, so throw-ins were not a problem until his late substitute appearance, and height in defensive situations was not a huge issue. Unlike last year, though, Liverpool did not dominate in the air they won only 36% of aerial challenges.

Dalglish clearly did not want to play into Stoke's hands by playing Andy Carroll, a centre-forward dependent on his aerial threat. Carroll has not started home or away in the league against Stoke this season (although he did start in the Carling Cup) and Dirk Kuyt was instead chosen as the lone forward, as in the 2-0 win a year ago.

Kuyt has rarely been prolific in a Liverpool shirt, but his current goalscoring form is particularly bad he has not scored all season, a fact that seems to have slipped under the radar because of the focus on Carroll. Regardless, Kuyt is capable of doing a good job upfront by holding the ball up, dropping deep and moving to the flanks, but he needs midfield runners to make this a worthwhile approach. Last year he had Steven Gerrard and Raul Meireles behind him in the 3-4-2-1 formation the latter opened the scoring with a rebound from the former's shot. Both were powerful, energetic figures who enjoyed playing in the centre of the pitch and driving at the opposition defence.

With Meireles no longer at the club and Gerrard playing deeper, Liverpool had Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson behind Kuyt on Saturday. They offered little support, with a situation after 11 minutes summing up their plight Kuyt found himself on the ball near the byline, twice looked up for assistance, only to find that there was no one else inside the box.

Downing and Henderson moved wider and played sideways balls rather than trying the killer pass themselves. Stoke defended very narrow, and Liverpool were too keen to take the invitation to cross. They attempted 42 crosses, a staggering number, but only five found a team-mate in the box. Stoke, of course, were more than happy for Liverpool to attempt balls from the flanks, and Liverpool putting such effort into this form of attack rather negated the point of leaving out Carroll.

Despite 69% possession, 205 passes in the attacking third, 42 crosses and 15 attempts, Liverpool had only one shot on target, the fewest they have managed since Benítez's final home game in charge of Liverpool, a 2-0 defeat to Chelsea in May 2010. Liverpool had plenty of set pieces, but the deliveries were poor and besides, Stoke would have been delighted with the game becoming a succession of dead-ball situations.

Dalglish's "trick" of a back three only worked once, and Pulis was wise to the situation this time around. The main effect of the tactical switch was that Liverpool simply fielded one fewer attacking player than usual, which did not prove helpful considering their struggle for goals this season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jan/16/liverpool-stoke-premier-league-tactics

Swap deal with J.Cole plx
Original post by jam277
Yeah, I think carroll should be given time. He shouldn't be put on in the 75th min for the only person who can cross the ball for him.

I dont know what you see when you watch our team but:

CARROLL, DESPITE HIS AGE, PRICE TAG, OR LACK OF BASIC TECHNICAL SKILLS. SIMPLY. DOES. NOT. CUT IT. FOR WHATEVER REASON.

When i signed him this is what i thought was going to happen and was praying that i was wrong, turns sadly out i wasnt. If you watch him play his technique resembles a drunkern heskey crossed with the positional awareness of titus bramble. He cannot header, evidence of this painstakingly obvious, although this isnt helped by the fact that no-one apart from gerrard can cross. His positioning is woefully amateurish at best, leading to him blocking 2 on target shots from teammates. he does have good games but for every one good game he has, he will have 10 bad games....

Youve interested me now, explain your logic, What tangible evidence do you have that he will improve? and please do not say age because there are many strikers in and around his age group who are performing better than him. You seem to forget one thing:

WE DONT HAVE TIME!

our owners want champions league football, and have shelled out over 85M on players who none of, look near international level. The football we play, in contrast to last season is a HUGE step back, our football is just a ****ing farce.

with the incredibly low calibre of players kenny's signed we are NEVER EVER going to get it (TOP 4) and you can try and sweeten it and iron it out as much as you want but that is the cold hard truth. We need champions league or we stand NO CHANCE of attracting top players...

Attacking players must be signed this january, there's no other alternative, 2 Very good attacking players (including one striker) is absolutely imperative. Our lack of firepower is near embarrasing.

Interesting statistics time:
1Yakubu, in one match has scored more goals than our leading striker (suarez) has all season
2 Blackburn, norwich, sunderland and bolton. All teams who have scored more goals than us.

So go on, Give me ****e for calling a spade a spade....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
The football we play in comparison to last season is crap you say?

If you're talking about March-April-May, I agree.

If you're talking about the Hodgson era, just get out. Defensive football, man for man marking, hoofing the ball up the pitch, that's not Liverpool's way.
I said in my 1st (and probably last) blog yesterday that we should sign a list of players, then I wake up and we're heavily linked with Jermain Defoe and Moussa Sow has come out and said he wants to play for us.

Not bad.

http://lfcunderkenny.wordpress.com/
Reply 117
Original post by lazy smurf
I said in my 1st (and probably last) blog yesterday that we should sign a list of players, then I wake up and we're heavily linked with Jermain Defoe and Moussa Sow has come out and said he wants to play for us.

Not bad.

http://lfcunderkenny.wordpress.com/

Good post that.

I'd be happy with Bent or Defoe or Cavani (:biggrin:).
Imo if we buy a striker in January, we'll just buy another player in isolation and it won't be a major success. We've got too many players who play individuals parts on the pitch but it's not cohesive in terms of an overall game plan and how they should all interact with each other.

I'd say only Reina, Agger, Gerrard and Johnson in our current team do that, whether it's distribution, passing, overlapping, movement etc

Even a player like Suarez is guilty of being a part player who's just been slotted into the side.
Reply 119
Seems most of this thread are going to the City game then.

I'll be screaming my balls in off in 306 :biggrin:

Latest