The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Zerforax
Imo if we buy a striker in January, we'll just buy another player in isolation and it won't be a major success. We've got too many players who play individuals parts on the pitch but it's not cohesive in terms of an overall game plan and how they should all interact with each other.

I'd say only Reina, Agger, Gerrard and Johnson in our current team do that, whether it's distribution, passing, overlapping, movement etc

Even a player like Suarez is guilty of being a part player who's just been slotted into the side.

Not too sure what you mean there.

As long as a player's good enough and is our prime target, don't see a problem.
Original post by Pn94
Not too sure what you mean there.

As long as a player's good enough and is our prime target, don't see a problem.

Football isn't play in isolation compared to sports like cricket and baseball, it's 11 v 11 on the pitch and you need an intergrated team to perform together as the sum of its part to get the best results.

We've seen the likes of Chelsea throw money at good and great players and it fail in many respects, Mourinho and the core he instilled suceeded and still does because they are intergrated in the manner and style they play. Heck even Stoke have a cohesive style they play, the players know how to work together and execute their game plan.

I feel like now we're heading down that Chelsea, headless chicken route of trying to paper over cracks whether it be with cheap or expensive players.

Yes, if a player is good enough, and considered a prime target but imo we don't seem to have a plan going forwards and unless we fix this, we're not going to reach the summit.

For example, everyone is screaming about buying a new striker but ignoring the fact we've played 4-2-3-1 or some variation for about 4 years now. Are we going to play 2 up front? If so, how do our wingers then need to play and more importantly, what do we do with our central players? Does it give Gerrard enough freedom? Do we only play 2 of our million midfield players? Do we mix up the game and play more long balls for our 2 strikers to work in tandem together?
Playing as a team, which we have been [excluding Stoke] playing very well together, flowing passing football with a lot of chances.

This is why I think our January signing should be a goal poacher,someone who'll wait in the box for the ball and lash it in the back of the net.
Original post by lazy smurf
Playing as a team, which we have been [excluding Stoke] playing very well together, flowing passing football with a lot of chances.

This is why I think our January signing should be a goal poacher,someone who'll wait in the box for the ball and lash it in the back of the net.

Agree and disagree. We make numerical chances but not always many significant chances.

We don't often get in behind a team or move them out of place.

Likewise, if we move an extra man from midfield, don't you think it will effect our passing football? Means one less player to act as an option for a pass.

Imo we still haven't fully learnt how to pass into space. Still pass to a player far too often. You watch Utd or Barca play and they look to exploit space, even small areas in the midfield but imo only Gerrard does it in the attacking third.
Agree and disagree. We make numerical chances but not always many significant chances.

We don't often get in behind a team or move them out of place.

Likewise, if we move an extra man from midfield, don't you think it will effect our passing football? Means one less player to act as an option for a pass.

Imo we still haven't fully learnt how to pass into space. Still pass to a player far too often. You watch Utd or Barca play and they look to exploit space, even small areas in the midfield but imo only Gerrard does it in the attacking third.

Nah, the Stoke game highlighted it even further, we need a goal poacher, not 3 CM's. I would have given my right testicle to sacrifice Charlie Adam for a Defoe type player against them, I would put £1000 on him scoring against them. The problem was no one was in the box, ever. Kuyt was dropping too deep or too wide.

We need a goal hanger, who we can thread that ball to, play Carroll and goal hanger up front until Luis comes back, then Luis and goal hanger, or all 3.

Selfish goal scorer is essential in a top 4 side.
Nah, the Stoke game highlighted it even further, we need a goal poacher, not 3 CM's. I would have given my right testicle to sacrifice Charlie Adam for a Defoe type player against them, I would put £1000 on him scoring against them. The problem was no one was in the box, ever. Kuyt was dropping too deep or too wide.

We need a goal hanger, who we can thread that ball to, play Carroll and goal hanger up front until Luis comes back, then Luis and goal hanger, or all 3.

Selfish goal scorer is essential in a top 4 side.

I still think there is something fundamentally wrong or which needs to be addressed. Even if we get a goal poacher, we'll have one person in the box, perhaps two if we're lucky. Most of the time, they'll probably be marked out of the game too. Essentially you'll be playing with 10 men for most of the game.
Reply 126
Football isn't play in isolation compared to sports like cricket and baseball, it's 11 v 11 on the pitch and you need an intergrated team to perform together as the sum of its part to get the best results.

We've seen the likes of Chelsea throw money at good and great players and it fail in many respects, Mourinho and the core he instilled suceeded and still does because they are intergrated in the manner and style they play. Heck even Stoke have a cohesive style they play, the players know how to work together and execute their game plan.

I feel like now we're heading down that Chelsea, headless chicken route of trying to paper over cracks whether it be with cheap or expensive players.

Yes, if a player is good enough, and considered a prime target but imo we don't seem to have a plan going forwards and unless we fix this, we're not going to reach the summit.

For example, everyone is screaming about buying a new striker but ignoring the fact we've played 4-2-3-1 or some variation for about 4 years now. Are we going to play 2 up front? If so, how do our wingers then need to play and more importantly, what do we do with our central players? Does it give Gerrard enough freedom? Do we only play 2 of our million midfield players? Do we mix up the game and play more long balls for our 2 strikers to work in tandem together?

I see what you mean, but until very recently (Blackburn) I felt we were performing well as a team unit, dominating every game.

It's just the goals really weren't flowing.
Original post by TaylorGang_4
Anyone got any info on 224?

I think that's in the Adult/Child section, so might be a bit quieter (although the whole of Anfield is quiet now for 3/4s of the game. Stoke was deadly silent..)

You'll have a good view of everything though, except any messy tangles in the Kop-end box.

Your view will be a bit like this:

But from this sort of height instead (end on but not side on though :p: and maybe a bit lower I think...):

You get the gist of it anyway :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
CW has a fancard, for which the sale opened at 8am today. Goes to general sale at 2pm with some tickets left.

Original post by Stirlo
Goes to general sale at 2

Ah yes sorry I did know this he said in the last thread, silly me! >.<
Original post by Pn94
I see what you mean, but until very recently (Blackburn) I felt we were performing well as a team unit, dominating every game.

It's just the goals really weren't flowing.

No that's very true but if it was for a couple of games, I think yep it's just an minor issue and it will click but we've now moved onto halfway through the season and it's no longer a minor issue but a fundamental flaw it seems.

Despite all our nice player, dominating games, chances, corners etc, we don't have many games where we create clear cut chances, we've had a few where you despair and wonder why the player hasn't scored but a lot of the time, it was numerous half chances and the odd ridiculous goal scored by Suarez.

When was the last time we carved a team open 5 or 6 times in a game? Do we do that on a regular enough basis? A poacher is the end product, the last to put in the place the clinical touch but do we create that final ball enough? Will we give that poacher the chance on a plate, assuming he's in the right place?

I'm not convinced of that yet and I think that should be addressed before we throw £20mil at a striker.
I'm wondering... would anyone here be able to get tickets for the Carling Cup final and sell them to me? D:
Sigh I really should actually read through the thread before answering other people's questions! Oh well just trying to be helpful aha, but seems like about 3 other people beat me to it!

I was in MA on Sat which I guess is like ME but at the other end lol. Good view though so you've done well getting there :smile:

I'm in KK for Man City on the opposite side of the stadium to you guys... but yes I'll be the short guy in red :p:

Original post by MartinKellyisagod
I'm wondering... would anyone here be able to get tickets for the Carling Cup final and sell them to me? D:

I think it'll be tight enough getting a final ticket for ourselves! Check out twitter nearer the time, there's always loads of swaps/sales going on there in the week up to games. Don't get ripped off though; there's some on there which are honest and will just re-sell for face value as they genuinely can't make games but as always there'll be dodgy touts looking to make a quid buck, taking tickets away from genuine fans.. sigh.

Anyone got any educated guesses what the priority will be for the final (if we make it!)? I'm gonna say CC away 3 rounds, 2 rounds, 1 round (considering those fans to the later rounds needed to have gone to the earlier rounds it should only be about 3000 people at most), then CC home v City (the other 35,000+).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 132
The main question I have about Sow is can he bring home the bacon?
Reply 133
Man srsly kenny has got to start Bellamy
Reply 134
Very jealous at almost everyone having a ticket. Cursed £170 train ticket prices :frown:

Swap deal with J.Cole plx

Weren't people originally saying the Cole loan was to assist in a potential future transfer of Hazard to LFC? At least that's the rumour I remember seeing flying around early last summer. I've not seen the Sow guy in action so I'll have to check out some clips methinks...
Lille's owner came out instantly dismissed that Cole was a favour to get Hazard.

Moussa Sow is boss....YouTube video's aren't to be trusted, but anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJt7hBfUlMo
Is it any coincidence that Kenny's best signings have been non-English?
Reply 138
Original post by orionmoo
Weren't people originally saying the Cole loan was to assist in a potential future transfer of Hazard to LFC? At least that's the rumour I remember seeing flying around early last summer. I've not seen the Sow guy in action so I'll have to check out some clips methinks...

Can't really see Edin Hazard coming to LFC tbh. More like Chelsea...

Hoping Sow would be a good player, if true about him wanting to play in LFC then we should get him now if possible.
Original post by Stirlo
Very jealous at almost everyone having a ticket. Cursed £170 train ticket prices :frown:

Jesus! YP railcard? My train up from Guildford is £30 and back down at 9:50 the next morning is £46 first class! (Strangely first class was actually cheaper than Standard for the return-leg!) I probably should've just booked the whole of Thursday, and Friday too off work so I don't need to come back up again on Friday night for the FA Cup game... but I guess it's better in the long run to save some annual leave for the rest of the placement year!

Lille's owner came out instantly dismissed that Cole was a favour to get Hazard.

Moussa Sow is boss....YouTube video's aren't to be trusted, but anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJt7hBfUlMo

Original post by mr tim
Can't really see Edin Hazard coming to LFC tbh. More like Chelsea...

Hoping Sow would be a good player, if true about him wanting to play in LFC then we should get him now if possible.

Yeah I couldn't see it either, personally, but just saying that was the rumour I heard last summer and never heard anything since - but this explains it! :p: Thanks for clearing it up :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest