The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArcticRed
I dont know what you see when you watch our team but:

CARROLL, DESPITE HIS AGE, PRICE TAG, OR LACK OF BASIC TECHNICAL SKILLS. SIMPLY. DOES. NOT. CUT IT. FOR WHATEVER REASON.

When i signed him this is what i thought was going to happen and was praying that i was wrong, turns sadly out i wasnt. If you watch him play his technique resembles a drunkern heskey crossed with the positional awareness of titus bramble. He cannot header, evidence of this painstakingly obvious, although this isnt helped by the fact that no-one apart from gerrard can cross. His positioning is woefully amateurish at best, leading to him blocking 2 on target shots from teammates. he does have good games but for every one good game he has, he will have 10 bad games....

Youve interested me now, explain your logic, What tangible evidence do you have that he will improve? and please do not say age because there are many strikers in and around his age group who are performing better than him. You seem to forget one thing:

WE DONT HAVE TIME!

our owners want champions league football, and have shelled out over 85M on players who none of, look near international level. The football we play, in contrast to last season is a HUGE step back, our football is just a ****ing farce.

with the incredibly low calibre of players kenny's signed we are NEVER EVER going to get it (TOP 4) and you can try and sweeten it and iron it out as much as you want but that is the cold hard truth. We need champions league or we stand NO CHANCE of attracting top players...

Attacking players must be signed this january, there's no other alternative, 2 Very good attacking players (including one striker) is absolutely imperative. Our lack of firepower is near embarrasing.

Interesting statistics time:
1Yakubu, in one match has scored more goals than our leading striker (suarez) has all season
2 Blackburn, norwich, sunderland and bolton. All teams who have scored more goals than us.

So go on, Give me ****e for calling a spade a spade....

1. Lucas is an example of someone previously **** who turned good

2. What are you seriously going to do, are you gonna sell him back to newcastle for 10 million, then buy another striker, wait, what striker could you honestly attract that's a goalscorer? Unless you find a hernandez from south america/africa, would europes best strikers come to liverpool? inter, juventus, milan, barcelona, munich, dortmund and others would have snapped them up before you even say you had interest. So then you're gonna be forced into buying a darren bent. Do you seriously want darren bent?

3. yes you're right, should have kept the team you had last season and only buy henderson and coates as the rest are ****e, you would have then kept the form, downing and kuyt should not be playing over maxi rodriguez.
4. You're right about the transfers, had he just looked over in france, he would have better players for cheaper rather than trying to buy people who wouldn't make englands sub bench and aim for top 4 in the process, his transfers really did baffle me.
5. Looks like rafa was a better manager than we thought.
Reply 141
Original post by orionmoo
Jesus! YP railcard? My train up from Guildford is £30 and back down at 9:50 the next morning is £46 first class! (Strangely first class was actually cheaper than Standard for the return-leg!) I probably should've just booked the whole of Thursday, and Friday too off work so I don't need to come back up again on Friday night for the FA Cup game... but I guess it's better in the long run to save some annual leave for the rest of the placement year!

I dont have a railcard, but even with one it'd still be extortionate
Original post by kuks
The main question I have about Sow is can he bring home the bacon?

Top scorer in the french leage last season, he has potential, depends if he can come in all guns blazing.
Reply 143
Original post by So Instinct
Top scorer in the french leage last season, he has potential, depends if he can come in all guns blazing.

Totally missed the joke there :wink:
Original post by kuks
Totally missed the joke there :wink:

The sad thing is I still don't see it :redface: lol
Sow....Cow
Reply 146
Original post by lazy smurf
Sow....Cow

You mean sow= female pig and he said bring home the bacon :tongue:
Reply 147
Original post by lazy smurf
Sow....Cow

Nope sorry :colondollar:

Original post by So Instinct
The sad thing is I still don't see it :redface: lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sow
Mmmmm.... bacon...
Reply 149
Original post by Zerforax
No that's very true but if it was for a couple of games, I think yep it's just an minor issue and it will click but we've now moved onto halfway through the season and it's no longer a minor issue but a fundamental flaw it seems.

Despite all our nice player, dominating games, chances, corners etc, we don't have many games where we create clear cut chances, we've had a few where you despair and wonder why the player hasn't scored but a lot of the time, it was numerous half chances and the odd ridiculous goal scored by Suarez.

When was the last time we carved a team open 5 or 6 times in a game? Do we do that on a regular enough basis? A poacher is the end product, the last to put in the place the clinical touch but do we create that final ball enough? Will we give that poacher the chance on a plate, assuming he's in the right place?

I'm not convinced of that yet and I think that should be addressed before we throw £20mil at a striker.

I think we've created enough chances to win games, that's enough tbh. United for example, don't play the best football but they churn out results game after game.

SkySports just showed a stat, we've got the joint most created chances this season, but the lowest conversion rate. Don't forget we've also hit the post the most times this season. I think that in itself shows that our biggest problem is being clinical. Signing a striker who can consistently finish would go a long way to solving that imo.
Reply 150
Who do you all think we will most probably sign for this January transfer window?

And last but not least, do you think we will sell Carroll this month?
(edited 12 years ago)
There was an interview given by Rafa Benitez which was posted recently about structure of the club and how to plan ahead and one of the key points he raised was having to comply with the rules of the league you're playing in. So obviously for us it's premier league rules + EL/CL potential rules to consider.

I still believe that Kenny/Comoli realised that 8 players is a significant number to have as homegrown in the squad. We've struggled with this in the past and recently we've tried hard to correct it. However the squad is fluid and we've seen the likes of B.Jones come in, who for personal reasons hasn't been able to play, then others like Gerrard and Johnson who've had serious injury/fitness questions, then others like Bellamy and Carragher, where age will catch up with them and finally the potentials like Shelvey, Spearing, Kelly etc who may or may not make the grade. I remember thinking Warnock was a good player, with potential but Rafa got rid and his career hasn't particularly shot up since then. Likewise no guarantees with our current crop, even if we all have high hopes and expectations.

The further problem with the rule is the lack of world class or top quality homegrown/English players and the number of clubs in the league who are competing for those players. We struggle to pick up 30 top quality players for England, how then are we meant to have 20 clubs, 10 of those who are regulars and can afford to keep top/good quality players, meaning we'd need 80+ great english players.

Genuinely believe that had a huge bearing and the plan is thereafter to fill in the squad gaps with foreign players when we have more choice and options. But it's key to fill in the English slot first because if you then find the right English player, you can't let him go. So for example picking up the best CB in Jones but making the mistake of buying Coates first, so there we tried to buy and then got the alternative.

How many top quality English wingers are there in the game currently? Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Milner, Young, Downing and then potentially the likes of Hoilett, AOC, Jarvis, Pennent, Etherington, A.Johnson.

Seems like a lot but how many are world class? How many would you want at Liverpool? How many would come to Liverpool? 12 there still isn't enough for the 20 clubs who'd want 2 wingers, meaning 40.

You'd hope we make the right decisions in the next window and really it should be the final window where we need to invest heavily for today, and thereafter we should only be buying for tomorrow and developing players and blooding them in or buying that star quality if reasonable.
Original post by Pn94
I think we've created enough chances to win games, that's enough tbh. United for example, don't play the best football but they churn out results game after game.

SkySports just showed a stat, we've got the joint most created chances this season, but the lowest conversion rate. Don't forget we've also hit the post the most times this season. I think that in itself shows that our biggest problem is being clinical. Signing a striker who can consistently finish would go a long way to solving that imo.

You should watch the chances that Utd create, a number of clear chances and many times they put them away, which is why they have a rate of circa 25%.

A clinical striker would go some way but I still don't think we'd fix the root of the problem, which is how we create or struggle to create the clear cut chances in the first place.

I'd rather create a chance which the striker will score 7/10 times, than create 3 chances where he'll score 2/10 times.
Reply 154
If we can have Sow, Cole, a winger and possibly a creative MF next season, we should do a lot better.
Reply 155
If we have Cole in our squad next season, possibly close to the first team, then I wouldn't expect us to finish any higher than 8th.
Why would you want Cole back, do you not watch football?
Reply 157
Cole :biggrin:
Original post by Zerforax
How many top quality English wingers are there in the game currently? Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Milner, Young, Downing and then potentially the likes of Hoilett, AOC, Jarvis, Pennent, Etherington, A.Johnson.

Zerf, SWP isn't top quality. Milner plays in central midfield now. Young has been abysmal since November. Downing has been abysmal all season. Walcott has little end product but to be fair to him, he creates so many chances for himself, so he's top quality. Same for Lennon. 2/6.
Original post by medhopeful696969
Zerf, SWP isn't top quality. Milner plays in central midfield now. Young has been abysmal since November. Downing has been abysmal all season. Walcott has little end product but to be fair to him, he creates so many chances for himself, so he's top quality. Same for Lennon. 2/6.

Which further illustrates my point about the lack of top quality English/homegrown players in the game and the impact of having 8 HG players in the squad.

Latest