Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any Warhammer players on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright all.

Haven't seen a forum about this yet, though there must surely be some players knocking around here.

Warhammer 40,000, Fantasy, Lord of the Rings, Epic or Gothic. I suppose you could say Necromunda, too.

I just play Warhammer 40,000 and Gothic. I couldn't get into Fantasy, though I've got a few sets, and Lord of the Rings was fantastic until Trays were involved. Epic... Meh.

But yeah, any Warhammer players around? Be interesting to see what y'all play. :yep:

Seemed like the best forum to put it in, but Mods please move it if its incorrect.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have Gothic 4 bought it in the steam sale over xmas but haven't got round to playing it yet lol Tbh I play Starcraft 2 the most and I would highly reccomend it ot anyone :P And when you say Epic? Do you mean the company? If so yeahhh I have played the Gears franchise and have Unreal tournament 3 aswell :P
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2995)
    I have Gothic 4 bought it in the steam sale over xmas but haven't got round to playing it yet lol Tbh I play Starcraft 2 the most and I would highly reccomend it ot anyone :P And when you say Epic? Do you mean the company? If so yeahhh I have played the Gears franchise and have Unreal tournament 3 aswell :P
    Ahh, no my friend, you've caught the wrong end of the stick.

Its a model-based game, not a computer one. Gothic is based around space-combat. Huge ships, etc.

Epic is Warhammer 40,000, but in smaller form.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh right :P makes sense now lol yeahhh I have seen Warhammer model stuff etc but it's not really my thing tbh :P
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spent a shameful amount on Citadel in my early teens, I've played all three of the "main ones" at some point but ironically found my favourite game to be the last one I tried, Mordheim! How typical that the most enjoyable game type was the one that could be played with less that two-dozen miniatures, compared to spending hundreds on a single force in another game =P I'd previously had a Dark Elves army, Black Templars force and a ridiculous amount of "bad guys" in LOTR.

I haven't played in about 4 years now though, although I did try my hand at painting models last summer which I enjoyed.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I spent a shameful amount on Citadel in my early teens, I've played all three of the "main ones" at some point but ironically found my favourite game to be the last one I tried, Mordheim! How typical that the most enjoyable game type was the one that could be played with less that two-dozen miniatures, compared to spending hundreds on a single force in another game =P I'd previously had a Dark Elves army, Black Templars force and a ridiculous amount of "bad guys" in LOTR.

I haven't played in about 4 years now though, although I did try my hand at painting models last summer which I enjoyed.
    Games Workshop's critical flaw is the money you need to spend on it.

I've never tried Mordheim. Is it a lot better then the staple Warhammer Styles, then?

LOTR use to be great, and it was classed as the beginners game. But now its become so damn tough...

Black Templars are awesome, Dark Elves better. Not a bad go though, Gofre.

Painting and modelling was always what I preferred more, to be honest.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a player myself, but on a side note,
    a friend was recovering from an operation and thus bed bound, in an attempt to keep her occupied her boyfriend brought her his space marines for her to paint. She was not impressed haha.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Not a player myself, but on a side note,
    a friend was recovering from an operation and thus bed bound, in an attempt to keep her occupied her boyfriend brought her his space marines for her to paint. She was not impressed haha.
    I can imagine that in such a situation, the idea of even attempting something so focus-based would be... In a word... Uncomfortable.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Games Workshop's critical flaw is the money you need to spend on it.
    Precisely. I've just checked the website tonight after this thread sparked my interest (Loving the new Vampire Counts), the prices are completely insane. £16+ for two-model blisters? Even as an excitable 14 year old I'd have turned my nose up at the hobby!

I've never tried Mordheim. Is it a lot better then the staple Warhammer Styles, then?
    I personally found it a lot more engaging and involving, and in a strange way playing with a handful of models seemed even more strategic than manoeuvring entire forces. Wrong moves with a couple of men/daemons (I played Possessed) could not only cost you the game, but it could screw over your entire "season" (We used to play 6 week campaigns before starting again because parties could become unmanageable and the disparity between successful and unsuccessful players could leave people entirely unable to win or lose). You had to put a lot of thought into everything and nothing could really be wasted as fodder!

LOTR use to be great, and it was classed as the beginners game. But now its become so damn tough...
    I was always a nerd for Tolkien's books so that was my primary appeal, but I also enjoyed the system more until I put together my own 40k force, until then I had to use a predetermined list of my friend's Orcs while he used his Guard. I stopped playing by the time it got too clogged up with mechanics luckily, so my memories are nothing but fond. I hate the look of it now though, from what I can tell the whole unit-based style is standard which really doesn't appeal to me, especially with the gimped status of Heroes, which were always the most enjoyable pieces to field! Well, second to the Mumak that it XD

Black Templars are awesome, Dark Elves better. Not a bad go though, Gofre.
    Hehe thanks, I always loved Dark Elves the most. Although my decision to go Templars was semi-determined by my desire to annoy my mates who played, two of whom were determined to convert me to Christianity. I enjoyed the irony of picking the most fanatical or marines so that I could shout at them for being heretics :ahee:

Painting and modelling was always what I preferred more, to be honest.
    I really enjoyed putting together conversions, especially in Mordheim where the more individual your models were, the better. I suck at painting really XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I play lotr and starting to play Dwarves in fantasy, I've played some 40k but still deciding which army to go for. Also play Hordes and Warmachine which aren't GW.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to have **** load of Orks. Man I loved them. They're in my attic now and I don't think I'll ever bring myself to getting rid of them.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (I'm quoting in everybody who's said they've played =P)

Does anybody have any experience with Game Workshop's cutting mat? I'm doing some "restoration work" on an old iPod and need a non-slip surface. Any idea if this would suffice?

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    what is war hammer about exactly? I know it involves painstakingly painting little model things, but that's it
    • 83 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    what is war hammer about exactly? I know it involves painstakingly painting little model things, but that's it
    That is one aspect, the other is employing them in "battle" which is essentially a strategy based game where you build an army based on "points" and some other restrictions and decide battle with dice rolls (which favour the better unit).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    (I'm quoting in everybody who's said they've played =P)

Does anybody have any experience with Game Workshop's cutting mat? I'm doing some "restoration work" on an old iPod and need a non-slip surface. Any idea if this would suffice?
    Dude so off topic but HIGH 5 im looking to buy a messed up ipod classic silver and fix it and make it my black classics wife

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69335...8039391&sr=8-5

this is my operating table ^
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    Dude so off topic but HIGH 5 im looking to buy a messed up ipod classic silver and fix it and make it my black classics wife

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69335...391&sr=8-5

this is my operating table ^
    Haha great minds think alike =P what's it like in terms of stopping whatever's on it from slipping? I need to apply moderate back-and-forth pressure (that's what she said :ahee:) to get the brushed aluminium look;

(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    The best way I could think of describing the game itself would be a mix between a board game and an RTS video game. The mechanics are based predominantly off of movement and dice rolling and being strategic with your "pieces".
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Haha great minds think alike =P what's it like in terms of stopping whatever's on it from slipping? I need to apply moderate back-and-forth pressure (that's what she said :ahee:) to get the brushed aluminium look;

The best way I could think of describing the game itself would be a mix between a board game and an RTS video game. The mechanics are based predominantly off of movement and dice rolling and being strategic with your "pieces".
    it does the job reasonably well are you taking the rear casing off to do the brushing because then it will be super gripped on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I played WH40k for years as a teenager - it's too expensive though and I don't have the time any more. I played Chaos Space Marines and Orks mostly, but also had Dark Eldar and Space Wolves armies.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    it does the job reasonably well are you taking the rear casing off to do the brushing because then it will be super gripped on
    I might try disassembling it, but I'll most likely sand it down while it's intact if there's enough grip. The front panel needs replacing anyway so I don't mind that getting scratched in the process (:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    have been playing 40k on and off since I was around 11, been playing Necrons since then too
    Only took them over a decade to release an update for us

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.