The Student Room Group

KPOP what's your opinion?

Hello, I created this thread to gather thoughts and opinions of kpop. For people who don't know KPOP= Korean pop. 10 years ago basically noone would've heard about it, however, now... still a lot of people don't know... To be fair it has globalized slightly. Big name singers such as Will.I.Am, Snoop dog, Diplo have been working with kpop artist which amazes me. This year a few groups are trying to crack the American market in order of making it big... Anyway, this year a United cube concert is coming to London which is quite impressive. In conclusion i would like to know how you feel about kpop and what's going to happen to t :P Thanks ^^

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't stomach it at all.

Give me Skrillex over k-pop, I'm serious.
Reply 2
Many of the groups are good, but I suppose it depends on your taste!

The style can be obnoxious to some, and a lot of it is really manufactured, but there's a lot of real talent and passion in the singers&dancers themselves, I think :smile:.

I like DBSK myself!

And I have a soft spot for some of the groups like A Pink :smile:
What I've heard of Brown Eyed Girls, their music is actually good and has feeling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Er.. United Cube already came to London last year. I went for that concert - which was just great. This year they're doing an even larger global tour, moving from 5 cities to 21, if I'm remembering my numbers correctly :yep:

Some of them are great. I'm a big fan of Beast, for instance. But it's pretty clear that there's a factory-like aspect to the whole industry, which doesn't sit very well with a lot of westerners... and it's quite sad seeing groups that are clearly only following the initial concept allocated to them by their company, and having such limited artistic licence, but not being successful anyway. This is especially clear with all the rookies now - there's so many debuts that they really try some odd and extreme things to stand out from the competition..

I'm hoping for some big American breakthroughs (no one but Cube Entertainment seems to care about Europe at the moment, and I don't think any of their artists are ready for a serious debut here yet), but so far the attempts are disappointing.. SNSD and Wondergirls' newest English songs, for example. I've got higher hopes for 2NE1, though.

Kpop is a nice interest to have, I think. It's expressing appreciation for other cultures, which is a great thing. At the same time, I can see why others wouldn't like it, and language and culture barriers are always present. But there will always be global fans.
Reply 4
Absolute, unmitigated crap.
Krap!
Reply 6
tis awesome!
I think kpop is one step ahead of western music!

If you think, people who speak English as their first language is around 400million,
yet English language music is listened to all over the world and is the most popular, even though way under a 10th of the world can speak it.

English speaking people are too naive and narrow minded to be accepting of foreign language music whereas kpop is charting everywhere in the world, e.g. Germany, France, Brazil etc etc where English isnt the national language.

That being said, I think kpop will not go global (well it will not overrun English language music) as girl & boy groups are a thing of the past as far as western music is concerned. And aesthetics wise, most western country have a different conception of what beauty is and so will certainly not be accepting of this such as guys wearing makeup.

It is a shame, those people who cant get past the language barrier are stupid :angry:

music is a universal language
Reply 7
They're coming to London?? So I'm guessing BEAST is coming too !!
Yeeeeesss

Yeah I'm a Kpop addict :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by vabbian

It is a shame, those people who cant get past the language barrier are stupid :angry:

It's not the language barrier that makes me hate it, it's the fact that it sounds incredibly cheesy.

I listen to loads of music from other countries as do loads of other people, it's very ignorant of you to just believe that's the reason people don't like K-Pop.
I like how the groups usually consist of like 10 or more hot girls dressed as sailors
Reply 10
Original post by Betacra
It's not the language barrier that makes me hate it, it's the fact that it sounds incredibly cheesy.

I listen to loads of music from other countries as do loads of other people, it's very ignorant of you to just believe that's the reason people don't like K-Pop.

sure it is generic pop no doubt about that, but atleast the themes are lighter than that of sex, drugs and money which western music is full of. :mad:

and from my experience, although people compliment kpop for being catchy and memorable like it should be, time and time again are people citing "not being able to understand it" as the to why the dont consistently listen to it.
Usually people who listen to foreign music are listening to obscure, arty stuff.

Why you would listen to crappy pop music that's even cheesier and manufactured than what we have is beyond me.
Original post by vabbian
tis awesome!
I think kpop is one step ahead of western music!

If you think, people who speak English as their first language is around 400million,
yet English language music is listened to all over the world and is the most popular, even though way under a 10th of the world can speak it.

English speaking people are too naive and narrow minded to be accepting of foreign language music whereas kpop is charting everywhere in the world, e.g. Germany, France, Brazil etc etc where English isnt the national language.

That being said, I think kpop will not go global (well it will not overrun English language music) as girl & boy groups are a thing of the past as far as western music is concerned. And aesthetics wise, most western country have a different conception of what beauty is and so will certainly not be accepting of this such as guys wearing makeup.

So they are a step ahead of the western music yet boy and girl groups are a thing of the past for music in the west. So are they a step ahead or a step behind?

It's stupid to say that people that can't get passe the language barrier are stupid. A big part of listening to music is singing a long or being able to connect with the lyrics. That being said though, it really doesn't matter to me because manufactured pop acts don't strike a chord with me whether they be singing English or any other language. And Kpop is about as manufactured as it gets.

The thread asked for peoples opinions, not only positive opinions so don't get all butt hurt when someone has one different to you.
Reply 13
Original post by original_username
So they are a step ahead of the western music yet boy and girl groups are a thing of the past for music in the west. So are they a step ahead or a step behind?

It's stupid to say that people that can't get passe the language barrier are stupid. A big part of listening to music is singing a long or being able to connect with the lyrics. That being said though, it really doesn't matter to me because manufactured pop acts don't strike a chord with me whether they be singing English or any other language. And Kpop is about as manufactured as it gets.

The thread asked for peoples opinions, not only positive opinions so don't get all butt hurt when someone has one different to you.

in terms of the actual music, yes I think kpop is a step ahead. There is something distinct about the kpop sound that cant be encapsulated in words. Why do you think millions of people worldwide are turning to kpop when there is perfectly acceptable english music out there?

and yes, boy/girl groups are a thing of the past, in western society.

who says you cant sing along in another language? :confused:
Original post by vabbian
in terms of the actual music, yes I think kpop is a step ahead. There is something distinct about the kpop sound that cant be encapsulated in words. Why do you think millions of people worldwide are turning to kpop when there is perfectly acceptable english music out there?

and yes, boy/girl groups are a thing of the past, in western society.

who says you cant sing along in another language? :confused:

Well if only you could put why it is a step ahead of the western world into words I might be able to see what you were going on about. They aren't a thing of the passed in Western society at all to be honest, One direction, Little Mix, The Saturdays, Take That, The Wanted etc etc. Very much a present thing.

A lack of knowledge of Korean would stop me singing a long to it. You have to have an interest in the culture, I would guess a lot of these people also like watching anime too, which again isn't for me but I wouldn't call people that do have an interest in it stupid just because I don't see what the fuss is about. Millions of people all over the world like it, thats why they are turning to it, but for every million of them there are a few million that are indifferent to it and don't see the need to bother with it.
Reply 15
Original post by vabbian

This is an example of western music that I can't comprehend with words, it's brilliant.

This is k-pop...

You can't tell me that k-pop is a step ahead of bands like Godspeed.
Original post by Betacra

This is k-pop...

You can't tell me that k-pop is a step ahead of bands like Godspeed.

Nothing at all like the Pussy Cat dolls, Nothing at all. Light years ahead of the West.

Mr Taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi:rofl:
Reply 17
Nothing at all like the Pussy Cat dolls, Nothing at all. Light years ahead of the West.

Mr Taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi taxi:rofl:

FYI
That song is in Japanese... Awkward.

I have no problem with peoples taste in music, I don't like metal music for example but I don't claim it to be **** or bash it etc.
Im butthurt over the people who bash kpop because of the language that is all.
Original post by vabbian
FYI
That song is in Japanese... Awkward.

I have no problem with peoples taste in music, I don't like metal music for example but I don't claim it to be **** or bash it etc.
Im butthurt over the people who bash kpop because of the language that is all.

They are Girls Generation though, Kpop genre nonetheless. My point still stands.
Reply 19
They are Girls Generation though, Kpop genre nonetheless. My point still stands.

The pcd were for the most part, talentless.
They sold sex, not music.

Like American music, yes kpop is manufactured, but the artists end up singing and dancing perfectly, and can speak many languages.
Who even knows anyone in the pcd except Nicole?
Most people who are fans of Girls Generation can name all 9 members, I doubt anyone could do the same for the pcd, or should I say Nicole et al.

Quick Reply

Latest