The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry UNIT 1: ISA Revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
how hard was the biology one? and your allowed to know that its a titration but nothing more, thats all i know anyway hehe :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Dunclr
how hard was the biology one? and your allowed to know that its a titration but nothing more, thats all i know anyway hehe :smile:

I'm on OCR for Biology, found the stuff before now okay, don't think I've dropped many marks. Been told to revise plant transport for Monday which is one of my stronger topics so I should be good :tongue: Should being the key word!

Ahh okay :smile:
Reply 22
jesus why can't i do this question, someone please give it a shot hahaha i think its really easy just had a head fail

7 The table below shows some information about three sulfamic acid based de-scalers.
De-scaler
Sulfamic acid content

Dip-to-Clean
3.5 % by mass

0.7 £Price/100 cm3

Clean It
1.5 % by mass
0.40 £Price/100 cm3

Lose that Scale
9.8 % by mass
2.20 Price/100 cm3

Use the data in the table to determine which de-scaler offers the best value for money, based on sulfamic acid content.

im assuming its just a basic percentage question its from the 2007 specimen chem3t paper if you can't understand what I'm asking Q7

Also if anyone looks at question 5 could someone tell me how to do it? i know its hard to without actual values :smile:
Original post by Dunclr
jesus why can't i do this question, someone please give it a shot hahaha i think its really easy just had a head fail

7 The table below shows some information about three sulfamic acid based de-scalers.
De-scaler
Sulfamic acid content

Dip-to-Clean
3.5 % by mass

0.7 £Price/100 cm3

Clean It
1.5 % by mass
0.40 £Price/100 cm3

Lose that Scale
9.8 % by mass
2.20 Price/100 cm3

Use the data in the table to determine which de-scaler offers the best value for money, based on sulfamic acid content.

im assuming its just a basic percentage question its from the 2007 specimen chem3t paper if you can't understand what I'm asking Q7

Also if anyone looks at question 5 could someone tell me how to do it? i know its hard to without actual values :smile:

Dip-to-Clean, as 3.5% for £0.70.

For Clean It, it costs £0.93 (2dp) for the same percentage.

For Lose that Scale, it costs £0.79 (2dp) for the same percentage.

Edit: I can't find my mock ISA, but you have a value for your average titre. You then use this value and divide by 250 to get moles of diluted acid. You then multiply by 10 to get moles of diluted acid in the 25 cm^3 aliquot. You're given 100g dm^-3, and so you divide this 100g mass by your moles of diluted acid in 25 cm^3. This should give you an answer for the molar mass in the region of 97.10g/mol.
(edited 12 years ago)
do we need to know anything on unit 2?
Original post by cheesecake11
do we need to know anything on unit 2?

Not for the CHEM1 ISA. :smile:
Reply 26
Gah was bare hard! 26/30 (plus full marks in your practicals) only equals 48/60 UMS! I fear i've only got about 26 :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s
Reply 27
Original post by Mr Tough
Gah was bare hard! 26/30 (plus full marks in your practicals) only equals 48/60 UMS! I fear i've only got about 26 :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s

I lost 1 mark on the practical as my results were (1% + 0.05 mol/dm^3) off what my teacher got, just a pisstake. This is not divulnging any infromation at all, towards the ISA paper.

Probably lost about 6 marks in the paper itself, so I'd be grateful to get 43/50 overall, scrapping B (if they don't increase the already ridiculously high grade boundaries).
Reply 28
Original post by Dunclr
R88ney please do you have any past electricity physics and biology ISA papers, or the 2011 chem ones for titration? If you have anything for AS at all ill be grateful!!

The entire 3T (P) series for Biology I have (2007-2011)
Physics I have 3T (Q) 2010, 3T (P) 2011, 2010, 2007 (specimen) - 2009 missing, don't have.
As far as I am aware there are no 2008 for the P and Q series.

I would rather not post the biology/ physics ISA's untill next year, as the grade boundaries are not bad right now, if I post them the grade boundaries might sore, leaving me with less chance to get a good grade (and others) just search google really well, sorry that I can't be off any more help. Chemistry it's already near it's peak grade boundaries, if they get any higher my school will switch exam boards just for chemistry, just because chemistry grade boundaries are too high.
Reply 29
please help!!!
Reply 30
Original post by Mr Tough
Original post? Mine too :biggrin:

My ISA test is next week :/ What stuff are we supposed to revise / know about? my teacher has barely mentioned anything?

Calculations obviously, what about the written part...is it just knowing about safety/how to improve accuracy??

how did your ISA go ? ive got it next week :confused: any tips?
Reply 31
Original post by jojo7866
how did your ISA go ? ive got it next week :confused: any tips?

Sorry mate, we can't divulnge any information regarding the REAL ISA PAPER. However, we can only help you with your revision/ any help required answering a PAST ISA question, or a ISA question in general.
Reply 32
Original post by r88ney
Sorry mate, we can't divulnge any information regarding the REAL ISA PAPER. However, we can only help you with your revision/ any help required answering a PAST ISA question, or a ISA question in general.

darn
I got 40/50 on the ISA...

could I still get an A overall in chem AS??

(I reckon for unit one exam I've got a B and an A for unit 2)

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question... just didn't want to lose 10 whole marks :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I got 40/50 on the ISA...

could I still get an A overall in chem AS??

(I reckon for unit one exam I've got a B and an A for unit 2)

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question... just didn't want to lose 10 whole marks :frown:

That's not a stupid question AT ALL.
You would need to know the exact UMS score to be 100% sure.
Nonetheless, we can still get a good approximate:
Unit 1: 80/100 UMS = A
Unit 2: 112/140 UMS= A
Unit 3: 36/60 UMS= C - 40/50 RAW Marks. (Basing it on last year's Raw marks to UMS conversion)
Total (80+110+36)= 226/300 = B -> You would need to get a superb UMS score in Unit 2 (about 124-134), taking that into consideration, you most likely have gotten a B)
= 240/300 UMS= A
Many students from my school have who gotten an A/B in unit 1 seem to have done worser in unit 2 with B/C's (last year's students anyway), so If your dead certain that you smacked the unit 2 test then you might have gotten an A, but B is a good approximate to make.

ISA's always lower people's grades, stupid grade boundaries!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by r88ney
That's not a stupid question AT ALL.
You would need to know the exact UMS score to be 100% sure.
Nonetheless, we can still get a good approximate:
Unit 1: 80/100 UMS = A
Unit 2: 110/140 UMS= A
Unit 3: 36/60 UMS= C - 40/50 RAW Marks. (Basing it on last year's Raw marks to UMS conversion)
Total (80+110+36)= 226/300 = B -> You would need to get a superb UMS score in Unit 2 (about 124-134), taking that into consideration, you most likely have gotten a B)
= 240/300 UMS= A
Many students from my school have who gotten an A/B in unit 1 seem to have done worser in unit 2 with B/C's (last year's students anyway), so If your dead certain that you smacked the unit 2 test then you might have gotten an A, but B is a good approximate to make.

ISA's always lower people's grades, stupid grade boundaries!

Thank you for taking the time to work all that out ! :smile:

You do 2 ISAs in AS and only one of them is put through right... so if I got a B in the unit 2 ISA then that could be put forward and I'd be more likely to get an A overall...

Do you reckon that would be enough to give me a high enough mark at AS so that in A2 I can try to get an A*?
Reply 36
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Thank you for taking the time to work all that out ! :smile:

You do 2 ISAs in AS and only one of them is put through right?
Yes
so if I got a B in the unit 2 ISA then that could be put forward and I'd be more likely to get an A overall...
Yes

Do you reckon that would be enough to give me a high enough mark at AS so that in A2 I can try to get an A*?
As long as you get an A overall in AS, then you have the same chance as everybody else to get an A* in A2.
You have to get 270/300 (90UMS Unit 3: A*, 130 UMS Unit 4: A*, 50 UMS ISA: A-> or anything equivalent), and at minimum 240/300 in AS- Grade: A. Which means, you get an A* as an A-level overall grade (same rule applies for biology, physics, maths and pretty much all A-level subjects).

Usually People who get like 290/300 UMS in AS, are almost guaranteed to get an A as a A-Level overall grade (only need 190/300= High C in A2 to get A Overall), but don't stand any advantage with there AS grade in having a higher chance of getting an A* (as you still have to get 270/300).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by r88ney
You do 2 ISAs in AS and only one of them is put through right?
Yes
so if I got a B in the unit 2 ISA then that could be put forward and I'd be more likely to get an A overall...
Yes

As long as you get an A overall in AS, then you have the same chance as everybody else to get an A* in A2.
You have to get 270/300 (90UMS Unit 3: A*, 130 UMS Unit 4: A*, 50 UMS ISA: A-> or anything equivalent), and at minimum 240/300 in AS- Grade: A. Which means, you get an A* as an A-level overall grade (same rule applies for biology, physics, maths and pretty much all A-level subjects).

Usually People who get like 290/300 UMS in AS, are almost guaranteed to get an A as a A-Level overall grade (only need 190/300= High C in A2 to get A Overall), but don't stand any advantage with there AS grade in having a higher chance of getting an A* (as you still have to get 270/300).

Oooh I see

Thank youuu :smile: :smile:
Reply 38
hi :smile:
what do we need to know on reactivity?
and do we need to know any tests / what products are made?
thanks
Reply 39
Got the Chem 1 ISA tomorrow and these posts are really scaring me!
Don't think the Unit 1 exam went too well and I fear the ISA will just drag my grade down. -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending