The Student Room Group

The Ugly Duckling

I feel so low at the moment, I have been single for nearly a year which I don't have a problem with but I get rejected when I like someone. I have been interested in 3 guys throughout this time at different periods. The one kept talking about his ex and he even told me he finds it hard to trust women (our mutual friends know he was being truthful). We only met up as mates and he said he wasn't ready for a relationship, 2 months later then he got a girlfriend off the internet.

The next guy was an old friend from years ago, again we were just hanging out as mates and he kept talking about his ex and said he wasn't over her (he has told our friends this too), has depression and bad debt. I admitted I liked him but he told me to walk away as he needs to sort himself out and that I can do better than him, again he got with someone else 2 months later.

Then another guy who has been out a few times at the pub tried to get to know me but I stupidly didn't tell him I liked him and this guy was definately a keeper :frown:. The other night he told me he recently got with someone else but his words and actions were telling me he knew he missed his chance with me. I just feel awful because I am not an ugly girl and my friends have said men feel threatened and think they don't have a chance so go with the safer option.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel so low at the moment, I have been single for nearly a year which I don't have a problem with but I get rejected when I like someone. I have been interested in 3 guys throughout this time at different periods. The one kept talking about his ex and he even told me he finds it hard to trust women (our mutual friends know he was being truthful). We only met up as mates and he said he wasn't ready for a relationship, 2 months later then he got a girlfriend off the internet.

The next guy was an old friend from years ago, again we were just hanging out as mates and he kept talking about his ex and said he wasn't over her (he has told our friends this too), has depression and bad debt. I admitted I liked him but he told me to walk away as he needs to sort himself out and that I can do better than him, again he got with someone else 2 months later.

Then another guy who has been out a few times at the pub tried to get to know me but I stupidly didn't tell him I liked him and this guy was definately a keeper :frown:. The other night he told me he recently got with someone else but his words and actions were telling me he knew he missed his chance with me. I just feel awful because I am not an ugly girl and my friends have said men feel threatened and think they don't have a chance so go with the safer option.

can i ask how old you are?
Reply 2
I feel so low at the moment, I have been single for nearly a year which I don't have a problem with but I get rejected when I like someone.

Sweetie, that might not have anything to do with you at all. :smile: We get rejected far more often than not and that's why relationships are so sought after (sorry if it sounds like I'm being vague or obvious).

It's just sexual economics. If there are more women than men around then women will have to compete more and as a result, they are more likely to end up with the bad guys because the good guys will have snapped up the best girls. (Actually that might have nothing to do with your case, but sometimes it's a numbers game and my example is just one instance)

The one kept talking about his ex and he even told me he finds it hard to trust women (our mutual friends know he was being truthful). We only met up as mates and he said he wasn't ready for a relationship, 2 months later then he got a girlfriend off the internet.

If he finds it hard to trust women (probably due to past relationship experiences) then he doesn't sound the type of guy you'd want to date anyway. Even if he in a relationship now, it doesn't mean he's a good bf anyway. It's better anyway for someone to want you from the get go, rather than have you as a safety net.

He was probably being honest. You don't want to get involved with someone who's not ready mentally to be involved with someone. I don't think relationships between long-term friends are very likely. I tend to think that if friends are going to end up dating then it happens fairly quickly into the friendship. If he shared all that information about himself with you, he was probably waiting for someone he could start afresh with. Relationships are primarily a process of getting to know the person intimately anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

Aw that's a shame that you weren't able to show your interest. You don't necessarily have to be explicit either because you can show it in your actions/behaviour/body language. If they aren't thinking they have a chance with you and are going for the safe bet then that says more about them than it does about you.

I think it's simply a case of you not meeting the right guys. Don't think you're not enough or anything like that. You deserve to find a good guy. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by britishgoose01
can i ask how old you are?

I am 27, I know I am old to be asking for advice - have been out of the dating game for a while.
Reply 4
Original post by Lucia.
Aw that's a shame that you weren't able to show your interest. You don't necessarily have to be explicit either because you can show it in your actions/behaviour/body language. If they aren't thinking they have a chance with you and are going for the safe bet then that says more about them than it does about you.

I think it's simply a case of you not meeting the right guys. Don't think you're not enough or anything like that. You deserve to find a good guy. :smile:

Thanks Lucia, I know you are right. It's just the last guy was really interested and asked questions about me but I suppose if he didn't think I was interested then he isn't going to hang around. I don't know if it will work with his new girlfriend, she is 18 and goes to uni and he is 26 and told me the other night he is ready to settle down.
can pm me get a guys opinion, am same age could help, am not an arse

27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! common, I honestly thought you were 17 or 18.. common...get some confidence lady!!!especially since you claim to be pretty.... common!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets see your picture.:wink:
Reply 7
Original post by int_applicant
27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! common, I honestly thought you were 17 or 18.. common...get some confidence lady!!!especially since you claim to be pretty.... common!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets see your picture.:wink:

How can I get confidence when I keep getting rejected?
Reply 8
Everyone is pretty in their own right.
i really wanna see a pic
None of this makes you the ugly duckling! None of this is your fault you just haven't found the right guy :smile: keep looking! You'll find it, and in the meantime, enjoy the journey!
Reply 11
I am 27, I know I am old to be asking for advice - have been out of the dating game for a while.

aye your never to old to ask for advice =]
it sound like the first 2 lads were lets just say not the nicest lads in the world
but thats not your fault
we all get rejected its part of the dating scene sadly but
i wouldnt let it get you down if they reject you then they werent the guy for you were they?
a few set backs is normal, you seem to have the right idea with telling them you like them just have to keep trying =]
and relax and have some fun focus on yourself :biggrin:
How can I get confidence when I keep getting rejected?

PM me your picture. Same age. IF you want an opinion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending