The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it so easy to steal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stratos
And why should humans try to be human? More importantly there is no evidence for that statement.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the first part, but the evidence you seek is abundant everywhere. Even the simplest act of random altruism, a smile to a stranger, is evidence to me that empathy is a human quality.
Original post by Stratos
And why should humans try to be human? More importantly there is no evidence for that statement.

Troll playing dumb looking for an argument.
Reply 62
Original post by Glow in the dark
Troll playing dumb looking for an argument.

If you cannot comprehend my statements I feel sorry for you my friend.

Original post by gemnomnom
I'm not really sure what you mean by the first part, but the evidence you seek is abundant everywhere. Even the simplest act of random altruism, a smile to a stranger, is evidence to me that empathy is a human quality.

What I meant is that even if empathy is human nature why should we act as in a human nature sense, e.g. why should I be empathic even if it's a quality inherent to me e.g. in the same way why should a vegetarian eat meat just because he has teeth capable of tearing such.

And is there ever such a thing as altruism, isn't it possible that we act in such a way because it conforms with society's norms and therefore our acting within the norm gives us this euphoria out of being the ideal citizen, and if we act for stimulus then it's no longer a categorical imperative(objective) but a hypothetical one(acting in a way to get a desired outcome).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
It does appear easy to steal things doesn't it.

My local sportsworld has umbrellas outside the store that seem could easily be swiped by a passer-by in a split second.

Many restaurants allow customers, by default, to pay for their meal after eating it. This would seem to make it rather easy to make a swift exit before paying, perhaps pop out for a fag and never be seen again.

However, plenty of people who thought crime was easy and costless now languish in jail.
Original post by Stratos
If you cannot comprehend my statements I feel sorry for you my friend.

What I meant is that even if empathy is human nature why should we act as in a human nature sense, e.g. why should I be empathic even if it's a quality inherent to me e.g. in the same way why should a vegetarian eat meat just because he has teeth capable of tearing such.

And is there ever such a thing as altruism, isn't it possible that we act in such a way because it conforms with society's norms and therefore our acting within the norm gives us this euphoria out of being the ideal citizen, and if we act for stimulus then it's no longer a categorical imperative(objective) but a hypothetical one(acting in a way to get a desired outcome).

I find it funny that you seem to feel superior to the extent that I don't understand what image you are trying to portray. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree. You're basically trying to justify bull****. The only way it would make sense would be if there was no money or possessions in this world and we had to hunt for our own food etc. Every man for himself. But that clearly isn't the case. You may think your view is correct, obviously society doesn't and you would probably end up in jail. I don't agree with society and I hate it. But to think that it's not the wrong thing to do to steal from friend and murder your own mother.. You sound young
Reply 65
Original post by Glow in the dark
I find it funny that you seem to feel superior to the extent that I don't understand what image you are trying to portray. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree. You're basically trying to justify bull****. The only way it would make sense would be if there was no money or possessions in this world and we had to hunt for our own food etc. Every man for himself. But that clearly isn't the case. You may think your view is correct, obviously society doesn't and you would probably end up in jail. I don't agree with society and I hate it. But to think that it's not the wrong thing to do to steal from friend and murder your own mother.. You sound young

I can see what you're thinking but you don't explain why it's wrong to take someone else's property? I would love to hear your opinion.
Original post by Stratos
yes I wouldn't find it morally wrong. Whether I would do it, probably not, why not? Because if I did so it would be very likely that I would be a suspect and secondly because if my friend is sad he will probably be annoying.

Yes I do not see murder as being morally wrong regardless of it being the murder of my mother or the murder of a sun flower.

I only see it as a question. Why is it wrong to steal? To kill? The best answer you're probably going to get is a religous one, or a typical "it's just wrong" response. There is no rational reason why these things are wrong, we're just brought up to believe certain things. But as I said, I only view as an interesting question, not my actual beliefs, which it seems to be for you. Just like everybody else I was brought up a certain way and nothing is going to change it, I view killing and stealing wrong because I wouldn't want someone to do the same to me. Also my guilt would prevent me from even carrying out these acts. I know that isn't even a proper reason, but that's just the way I am, nothing will change that.

Anyway my question to you is this;

Do you share these views your sprouting here to the people you know in real life? I.e. friends, family, colleagues etc. And if you do how do they react?

Despite asking that, I seriously doubt you share these views to people outside TSR. :redface:
I used to shoplift loads when I was about 14. Never got caught and quit while I was ahead but must have got over £1000 worth of stuff in a month or so. Did it because it was fun and a bit of a thrill.
Once, me and 4 others got a £99 set of hair extensions EACH from Selfridges all at the same time, you've just got to know the tricks. I'm 19 now and haven't done it since, but if I ever fell on really hard times, I'd probably get back into it.
it is really easy in supermarkets, I'm a cashier myself and there have been many times where a parent has taken a packet of sweets from a child and given them to me once they have passed my screen, which the baby could have stolen unknowingly; so anyone knowingly could steal lots of things to be honest!
Original post by kingme
This.

If you've ever downloaded anything (which 99.9% of people reading this will have), the only thing different from stealing out of shops is it's more likely you'll get caught.

No it's not. When you steal something, you take something away from a shelf, when you download something online, you make a copy of the original and leave the original where it is.

If I had a copying machine, I'd use it
Reply 70
Original post by Ice Constricter
I only see it as a question. Why is it wrong to steal? To kill? The best answer you're probably going to get is a religous one, or a typical "it's just wrong" response. There is no rational reason why these things are wrong, we're just brought up to believe certain things. But as I said, I only view as an interesting question, not my actual beliefs, which it seems to be for you. Just like everybody else I was brought up a certain way and nothing is going to change it, I view killing and stealing wrong because I wouldn't want someone to do the same to me. Also my guilt would prevent me from even carrying out these acts. I know that isn't even a proper reason, but that's just the way I am, nothing will change that.

Anyway my question to you is this;

Do you share these views your sprouting here to the people you know in real life? I.e. friends, family, colleagues etc. And if you do how do they react?

Despite asking that, I seriously doubt you share these views to people outside TSR. :redface:

Of course I don't I only share them here because there are no repercussions, sadly my views are a bit too controversial out there, but it does depend if I'm set in a heated debate I will show a sliver of my views.

Perhaps one day I can be my true self, but until that day comes I prefer to live my life in peace.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
It is really easy, but don't bother with things like clothes etc. Thats just asking for trouble - and pretty pointless if you ask me. Charity shops are cheap enough for clothes etc if you're a student.

Food shopping is another matter. Keep in mind that supermarkets waste tonnes and tonnes of food so I feel that as a poor, starving student, I'm entitled to freebies.

Take a shopping bag in with you, not one from the shop you're going in. Put something in it, like a book or something so it looks like you've just been to another shop. Go an get your shopping. Slip everything into the bag, do it quickly, don't hang about in one area for to long.

If you see a security guard or a member of staff looking at you, just put the bag on the floor and head for the door. They have to just let you leave. If not, you have you bag full of lovely food (and a bottle of wine if you fancy it), and now you just have to get out of the door.

The best way of doing this is to get past the tills, as they're usually the last point of exit before the doors themselves. It takes some guys to just walk past a till at the top end of the row of tills and just carry on walking down towards the exit. It is easy once you've done it a couple of times though. You can always have a chat with the person on the till......ask them where the lost and found is or something........just a question, any question, and when they answer, smile, say thankyou and keep on walking.

Security is usually located by the doors, so if you're walking out with other shoppers with bags then you're fine. Don't look guilty though. Pretending to have a converstation on your phone helps with this. Pretend to be having a funny chat with a mate.

Of course, you can always buy something really cheap as an excuse for going through the till........looks a bit dodgy though, if you have a bag full of stuff from another shop and you only buy a loaf of bread or a pint of milk.....

if you're headed out and security block your path, keep walking but not towards the door. Ignore them (being on your phone helps with this) but divert back into the shop. Put the bag down anywhere (preferably on a shelf) and then head out. They have to show you had an intent not to purchase. You could just say you realised you had forggoten your wallet or something. They can't eep you in the store.

If you've made it out and then they come up behind you and ask to look in your bag, say "Yeah, sure". Let them look. Say, "I've just been to...... (where ever the bag you've got is from) and I was just having a look at your reduced section"........

They'll say "Give the things back to me"........you say "oh piss off mate." and leave. They can't do anything. Just take care to get on the road towards home quickly. Chances are they won't call the police, this happens all the time and they really don't bother, but make tracks just in case.
Echo everything #72 said. Be brazen and if the worst comes to the worst be prepared to run or get in a tustle with security.
This post is ancient. But I think I should bring it back to life ^^
Shoplifting has reached a hole different level. People are living really good life's out of shop lifting. I was introduced to a man who had been living of it for a two years without ever getting arrested. He always eats out, visits museums, goes clubbing occasionally he even volunteers for charity! He claims he will never get caught because he changes address on a regular basis and moves all around the world. I don't think he feels bad about it at all as I had first suspected because of the volunteering. He loves his life, claimes that his crime is non violent and doesn't affect anybody, and volunteers because he enjoys it.
But all this to say that shoplifting for products that are worth less than 30 pound is childish. The penalty can be the same for products worth 1000 of pounds, which are professional shoplifters new targets.
Reply 74
ive stolen stuff from tescos before and off licenses and next time i will steal some chocolate from tk maxx in ilford too
Reply 75
Ok yh it aint good to steal but think about it you aint hurting nobody. And to be honest who ever own the business i think they deserve it because when they pay the ppl that work for them they only pay them between 2 to 5% so the question is why is stealing wrong cause u droping penny drop in the person who works for you is robbing that person
nobody’s a bad person for stealing. I’ve stolen many times and have been caught once, only to be banned from the store. which with a worldly view doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I think theft is morally acceptable when from rich chain stores eg topshop, boots, Debenhams. who cares? you’re not hurting anyone. when you’re stealing out of people’s handbags and taking personal belongings and from independent shops, that’s morally unacceptable. but when it’s a chain store? no you’re not a bad person. if you’re willing to take the risk, take it. and don’t beat yourself up if you get caught.
Reply 77
Is it immoral that shops stealing the planet resources( palm soy plantations are replacing rainforests and ecosystems....) Who did start the stealing business at first place???

Latest

Trending

Trending