The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My first job was at Sainsbury's, working on the night shift. I was 18. My hourly pay was £7.37 (which included a night shift premium).
My first job was as a healthcare assistant in a hospital (cardiology ward) during my gap year after 6th form. I was on a basic band 2 salary plus unsociable hours which was around 14-15K a year. It was full-time.
My first job was in a cafe when I was 16. I got paid £30 for Saturday and Sunday mornings, not bad in my opinion as I still had the whole day free to do what I wanted! Had multiple jobs and gained experience in other sectors since then though, worked my way up in the world.
My first job is at Clarkes, I was 17 when I got it and it's £5.20 an hour. I only work Saturday's, with occassional Sunday overtime.
Reply 5
My first proper job was when I was 18 at a grocery store called Save-On-Foods. I was a cashier and my starting wage was $9.75 (roughly £6).

I am so glad I don't work there anymore.
My first job was at sainsburys, I was 18 and earned £6.34p/h I think. I still work there now and im 20.
Reply 7
Original post by Lauren Pen
Just out of interest, what was your first job? How old were you? How much was your hourly pay?

I was 16, I worked as a personal carer for a teenage girl with severe cerebral palsy and epilepsy, was solely responsible for her for 8 hours every saturday. It was a stressful job but I was being paid £8 an hour
Reply 8
I was 17, it was at Aston Villa FC as a glass collector. Paid £5.20 hr including food etc..
Reply 9
Mine was at an opticians when I was 16. I got paid £30 to work 9-5, so about £4.30 an hour?
My first paid job is the one I'm currently in and only started 4 months ago. I work as a Cafe Assistant in Morrisojs and will now be on £6.40 per hour, since I'm at the end of my probationary period. :smile:
Reply 11
Clothes shop assistant, about £3.50 an hour or something ridiculous. I was on super-tax the entire time, had to buy my own uniform, so i basically earn't less than nothing. I was also unceremoniously fired after three months. :h:

It' should be illegal to make shop assistants buy their own uniform.
Oh cool :smile:
So how did you get the jobs, guys? :smile:
Reply 13
Blow. Got my money's worth.
Paperboy when I was 12.
Don't think it was strictly legal, and the pay was lousy (£15 a week, which works out as ~£2.15 an hour), but a job's a job!

My first paid per hour job was at WH Smiths when I was 16.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15

Oh cool :smile:
So how did you get the jobs, guys? :smile:

This and OP have you ever had a job?
Reply 16
Other than a paper round between the ages of 13 & 15 I worked at Woolworths, on something like £4.60 an hour. I was 16 & thought I was so rich! Aha, :smile:
Chimney Sweep, I was around 6 and it was £4 a day (12Hrs).
I did waitressing in a pub when I was 16 (summer between year 11 and sixth form)

Got paid £5 an hour and worked Saturdays and Sundays. Only did it for about 5 weeks though because I hated it and was rubbish. It was cash in hand, and seemed like loads of money at the time (though considering it was 9 years ago, £5 an hour was probably quite good for a 16 year old)
(edited 12 years ago)
Age 17, got £5.68 an hour.

I was a waitress in a four star hotel which did loads of weddings and formal dinners. It was rubbish. :frown:

Latest