The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by farhiyaserar

See many people think Islam as a forceful religion. But I know that's because of how Muslims leaders dictate there countries. But in Islam we are told what is right and what is wrong, but it's our life and what we do or don't do is between the individual and god. which is what the leaders don't see. they force Islam down their peoples throat and that's wrong. Basically what I am saying is that if they leave the religion in Islam isn't right to execute them. It's their life, it's their choice.

Yes but sadly, just like in Christianity (I am now atheist after being Christian), and all other religions, the different denominations and sub-groups usually come just because they all cant agree on the same "book" :P. You represent a progressivist which you could compare to some people in Christianity starting to say its ok to be gay when the rhetoric for years has been to say they are going to hell if they dont turn to Jesus... BUT the point is, both sides get their argument and supposed mandate to do this stuff from the same book as the other side do. So you have several different streams of supposedly the SAME religion all thinking they are right. Your definition of sharia law and how it is enforced is very different to the kind which is implemented in Iran or elsewhere. Likewise you don't know the "impression" that the person who may try and implement sharia law in the UK has of it... In general history has taught us its just best to stay away from law which presents blurred lines to us and which could potentially result in tyranny. Which it has in numerous examples and you don't just have to pick religious countries.

Saying "as a fellow muslim let me explain" is worthless for the reasons I have just stated. As we both know there is no such thing as a "fellow" or "generic" muslim. As I know from being ex-christian and life experience there is no generic or fellow anything, in any walk of life. Unless its built on absolutes, which relgion isn't. There is just YOUR opinion or take on something.

Apostacy punishment by death no longer applies? Iran has an APOSTACY Bill approved by its own parliament lol. Where it is most certainly very possible to be killed under... There are also some muslims in the UK who do not share your modern attitude towards religion, and who actually want that here... Likewise with punishment by retribution in some sharia law following countries.

----

In answer to the question:

- It will be impossible to find a company offering 0% interest on any loans. By any company. They may charge a "fee" upfront to cover money lost by inflation. Or just charge you the same rate of inflation so they don't "profit" or "gain" from the interest.

- You can get an Islamic bank account from Lloyds I think.

Meh,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
How like a fawning publican he looks!
I hate him for he is a Christian;
But more for that in low simplicity
He lends out money gratis, and brings down
The rate of usance here with us in Venice.

HSBC does an Islamic finance account.
i have actually heard that it isnt interest but inflation is that true??
Reply 83
Original post by farhiyaserar
i have actually heard that it isnt interest but inflation is that true??

No, read the thread.
Inflation is interest, and just as unacceptable to Islam as taking out a mortgage at 4.9% APR.

If it was acceptable, surely such a situation would have been foreseen, and an exception would have been made in the Koran, after all, it is perfect, no? :biggrin:

Besides, it isn't open to interpretation either, this question has arisen countless times since the fourteenth century and scholars all more schooled in all the tenets of Islam and long since dead have ruled thusly.

Today's Islamic loans are basically repayment+interest (bad) simply lumped together and called a larger repayment (good). The logic that it is somehow 'different' and therefore acceptable, is twisted and bizarre.

Why do religious people of all descriptions find the rules of their holy books so cumbersome when going about their daily lives, trying to live according to rules set in stone centuries ago, is it any surprise they need to be bent, twisted and 'interpreted' when they find them so very inconvenient when it comes to their modern lifestyle?

Either accept it and live by these rules, or don't accept it, and live by those of society, (from which religion takes many rules, but eschews others) which is what normal people do.
Reply 85
Original post by marcusfox

Either accept it and live by these rules, or don't accept it, and live by those of society, (from which religion takes many rules, but eschews others) which is what normal people do.

Amen.

Ops I mean, well said.

:smile:
Reply 86
If a bank is charging you the "rate of inflation" as the rate of interest, the point is the cancel each other out, they are not making any money off you. Because the money has devalued at exactly the same rate at which you have paid it back. So in terms of real capital exchanging hands, its been exactly the same. A bank or any lender starts to make money off you when they charge you a higher interest rate than what inflation is.

If you do go for any Islamic loan or other package tailored to Muslims, all they have done is changed a few words to set your conscience at ease. Even the Islamic Bank of Britain refers to mortgages (thats what they really are :wink:) as "housing" packages. Where you pay essentially a massive set of payments on the house in a row. They refer to the payments as "rent" rather than what we all know they are... Mortgage repayments. If any financial institution wants to have any capital base or lending power they will need to factor in inflation. As eventually if a higher rate of inflation set in, they would find themselves with less and less money.

Use student finance. It would be a very sad day for you to look back at the potential of a state funded university education which less than 5% of the worlds population enjoy. Only to have turned it down because your "religion" keeps you in a box.

Meh,
Original post by Shani
Amen.

Ops I mean, well said.

:smile:

I was in Tunisia, a Muslim country, and they have a banking chain called Amen Bank

I'm sure it's halal banking :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
What? A few of my muslim mates are going to uni and are using student loans.
In all seriousness though how, with loans, can Muslims afford their ray gunz?
Original post by Camoxide
What? A few of my muslim mates are going to uni and are using student loans.

That is precisely the point of the thread :wink:
Reply 91
Original post by MehMachine
If a bank is charging you the "rate of inflation" as the rate of interest, the point is the cancel each other out, they are not making any money off you. Because the money has devalued at exactly the same rate at which you have paid it back. So in terms of real capital exchanging hands, its been exactly the same. A bank or any lender starts to make money off you when they charge you a higher interest rate than what inflation is.

If you do go for any Islamic loan or other package tailored to Muslims, all they have done is changed a few words to set your conscience at ease. Even the Islamic Bank of Britain refers to mortgages (thats what they really are :wink:) as "housing" packages. Where you pay essentially a massive set of payments on the house in a row. They refer to the payments as "rent" rather than what we all know they are... Mortgage repayments. If any financial institution wants to have any capital base or lending power they will need to factor in inflation. As eventually if a higher rate of inflation set in, they would find themselves with less and less money.

Use student finance. It would be a very sad day for you to look back at the potential of a state funded university education which less than 5% of the worlds population enjoy. Only to have turned it down because your "religion" keeps you in a box.

Meh,

Banks don't quite work like that with regards to inflation, because the money they are lending you isn't real money, it is money they've created, so they can charge interest at rates below inflation and still make money in real terms.
Reply 92
Original post by James82
Banks don't quite work like that with regards to inflation, because the money they are lending you isn't real money, it is money they've created, so they can charge interest at rates below inflation and still make money in real terms.

I am aware that bonds and other securities as well as lending between banks does take place in order to move capital and facilitate lending (so called "creation" of money) elsewhere. But generally they need back more than they put out... I used the purchasing of products and the prices changing, usually up (Retail inflation). As a way of explaining why they have to charge a percentage on top for some of the people in this thread to understand :P

Meh,

Meh,

That's easy for you to say, because to some people (like me) really want to get an higher education but i still don't want to defy my religion for something like this. But then I look at my parents and how they haven't been able to go to university, and it makes me want to make something out of myself. But since interest is one of the big sins it really puts me in a huge dilemma which is to be strong and follow my religion or my dream.
Reply 94
I am aware that bonds and other securities as well as lending between banks does take place in order to move capital and facilitate lending (so called "creation" of money) elsewhere. But generally they need back more than they put out... I used the purchasing of products and the prices changing, usually up (Retail inflation). As a way of explaining why they have to charge a percentage on top for some of the people in this thread to understand :P

Meh,

It has nothing to do with bonds, securities or inter bank lending and the creating money bit doesn't need to be in quotations, because banks do quite literally create money.

Inflation is basically a measure of how much money the banks have created in a year. Look at it this way, it is illegal for you or I to create money, we'd be sent to prison for forgery, yet prices still keep rising, the population still keeps growing, income still keeps going up (well, maybe not in the last 3 or 4 years, but generally), the money has to come from somewhere, it comes from the banks being allowed to create money to lend to people.

There is also another basic question this raises, how do people pay back interest on loans? We know we can't create money, the only people who legally can are the banks, so the only way people can pay back loans is by borrowing more created money from the banks, thus the supply of money increases, inflation goes up and the cycle continues.

I know there has been a few injections of money into the economy in terms of quantitative easing over the last few years, but this generally doesn't happen and we still see inflation, where does this inflation come from if not the banks?

This is why banks don't have to lend at rates above inflation to make a profit, because it's not real money they're lending, it's new money they've been allowed to create, and it just gets written off once it's repaid and the bank keeps any extra it gets back.

Say the bank loans £100 for a year at 5% interest, inflation is 10%, the bank creates £100 of new money and after a year receives £105 back, it writes off the initial £100 and keeps the £5, the £5 is still worth something, so it's irrelevant that the inflation rate was higher. If they had lent you their money then it would matter, but they don't. But, it's interesting to think 'where does that £5 come from?' We know the people have no way of creating money, so it must be lent to us by the banks.
Reply 95
I'm not quite sure what Islamic banking is like in the UK but I hear it's not very Islamic. And no matter what any scholar says, if Allah has prohibited it, there's no need for their say :rolleyes:
Reply 96
Original post by lukas1051
Huh, you can do this?

Uhh yeah, I'm a Muslam too, interest free loan plz.

I know that HSBC lends you £3000 in your first year interest free providing that you show then a letter of acceptance form a university
Original post by AminaStah
I know that HSBC lends you £3000 in your first year interest free providing that you show then a letter of acceptance form a university

Yeah, but it's not Islamically compatible because when you finish university and you still owe it, the interest free period ends and they charge you interest whether you are a Muslim or not.

Plus their account pays interest on credit balances, so that's against Islam too.
Reply 98
Original post by marcusfox
Yeah, but it's not Islamically compatible because when you finish university and you still owe it, the interest free period ends and they charge you interest whether you are a Muslim or not.

Plus their account pays interest on credit balances, so that's against Islam too.

Then just make sure you pay it back before the interest kicks in and that you never have a positive balance.
Reply 99
You people make me laugh. Do you think your imaginary friend will smite you or something?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X

Latest

Trending

Trending