The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Brighton Primary PGCE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I need somewhere to live too. Still haven't had any finance info though as student finance seem to be dragging their heels! It's making me really anxious. I can't believe how much work we are going to ave over the summer! Crazy but exciting. Is anyone else having problems with student finance? I don't wanna sign up to live anywhere until I know it's all sorted!
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 41
I've already had all my confirmation stuff through (for the regular loan). Mine got sent to my parent's address, not mine, have you checked it's not been sent to a previous address? Don't think we get any more info on the 2:1/ 1st bursary until induction week if that's the one that you mean...

Also, I'm going to be living in Bevendean in between Falmer campus and town.

Anyone started any of the tasks yet?

Clare x
Reply 42
I'm starting in September too, I met a lot of great people on the interview day (dec 6th) but couldn't find anyone on facebook. Me and a friend (just finishing her pgce at Brighton so will be full of wisdom on all things pgce) have found a nice flat and are looking for another flatmate. Look me up on facebook if your interested - gillianmccormick85, Portstewart.
Reply 43
I haven't received any CRB info yet, has anyone else?

Clare x
Reply 44
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum chat and wanted to say hi! I'm starting the 5-11 PGCE and think I recognize some names from interview day-september is getting very close all of a sudden but its very exciting! : ) I've got all my CRB bits and started a couple of the tasks but no idea if I'm doing what's required! Has anyone else? I'm guessing we submit them all together before we start?
Sophie x
Reply 45
Hi everyone,

I'm also starting the 5-11 PGCE this September, I had my interview in Guernsey though so didn't get to meet anyone on the interview day! I would really like to chat to a few people before sept as I'm really not going to know anyone at all! Feel free to send me a message or add me on Facebook, my name is Aisling Golland (I think I'm the only one!) :smile:

Also has anyone bought any books from the reading list yet? I don't know which ones to get, it gets pretty expensive if you get more than a couple!
Reply 46
Hey fellow future trainee teacher buddies!
So I'm making a start on these summer tasks. Has anyone else? I just wondered that for the first one of the 500 words 'all about me' I am thinking of pretty much using my personal statement as this covers all academic, professional and personal qualities and pretty much explains my motivations for wanting to become a teacher. Ive just edited a few parts. It seems silly not to use it right? Just feel like Im cheating on that one!
Ive purchased all the books that were recommended to buy and my amazon bill came to around £103!!! Im sure it will be very handy to own a copy of these though!!! Hope you are all enjoying summer and the quiet before the maddness of september!
I also passed my degree with a 2:1 which means Ive met the conditions and managed to be eligible for a bursary too! Graduation ceremony next week! Good luck with your results and graduations for anyone who has just completed their degree! :-)
Laura x
Reply 47
Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the same for the 'about me.' I bought the slightly older versions of the recommended books on Ebay/ amazon for about £3 each. My friend has bought a couple of the latest versions and they are pretty much identical!

I'm freaking out a bit because my CRB stuff was sent to the wrong address so I've literally only just sent it off today, hope its ready in time!

Well done to those that are just graduating.

Clare x
Original post by Lauz28
Hey fellow future trainee teacher buddies!
So I'm making a start on these summer tasks. Has anyone else? I just wondered that for the first one of the 500 words 'all about me' I am thinking of pretty much using my personal statement as this covers all academic, professional and personal qualities and pretty much explains my motivations for wanting to become a teacher. Ive just edited a few parts. It seems silly not to use it right? Just feel like Im cheating on that one!
Ive purchased all the books that were recommended to buy and my amazon bill came to around £103!!! Im sure it will be very handy to own a copy of these though!!! Hope you are all enjoying summer and the quiet before the maddness of september!
I also passed my degree with a 2:1 which means Ive met the conditions and managed to be eligible for a bursary too! Graduation ceremony next week! Good luck with your results and graduations for anyone who has just completed their degree! :-)
Laura x

I'm also using my personal statement for the All About Me task and like you just altering it slightly.
Has anyone looked on the Blackboard Learn thing? There's a few more tasks to do and other bits to look at such as induction week timetable.
Reply 49
Yes I have looked on student central and I found the section about further tasks. There's quite a bit to do really! I am currently working on the key qualities of an effective teacher task which seems to be going ok. Checked out the timetable too which is handy to have. Seems to be a busy week from the very start but I'm really looking forward to it!
Has anyone been able to enrol yet? I had a letter the other day asking me to enrol online but its not giving me that option.
Anyway just over 4 weeks to go! Looking forward to meeting everybody.:smile:
Laura
Reply 50
We can't enrol until the 20th. Where have you found the timetable and further tasks? I can't see the section any where...

Clare x
Original post by clarebear36
We can't enrol until the 20th. Where have you found the timetable and further tasks? I can't see the section any where...

Clare x

Once in blackboard:
Click on my places, top middle which should bring up a box, click on my school: education.
On the left hand column click new students
Scroll down and click on PGCE primary.
Scroll down and all info is there.

There may be an easier way to navigate it but I haven't found it yet! Seems a little clunky.
Reply 52
Hey everyone, I start the PGCE in September too! So excited! I just had a couple of questions though!

How does everyone know what group they're in? I heard people on another site saying "i'm group six" etc, and I don't think I've been told what group I'm in!

Also, I was considering doing the literacy QTS test before we start if possible, just to get it out the way so I can focus on maths (which is my nemesis!), but in order to book an appointment I apparently need a TRN number. Does anyone know when we get these? Perhaps we don't get one until we actually start?

If anyone wants to chat before the course starts I'm on Twitter: @MelWoodsHolder :smile:
Reply 53
Hey Mel!
I would presume that the people who know which groups they are in are either based at hastings as they account for group 5 or they are 3-7 as they account for group 6 I think, or vice versa, As far as I understand the rest of the 5-11 based at falmer make up groups 1-4 and I havent seen any information about what group I am in! There is quite a lot of information on student central about various other things if you can get onto that.
Regarding the QTS tests I think its probably something we cant do until we are actually enrolled on the course and that we we be given alot of info on these during induction week! I agree with you on the maths though!
Look forward to meeting you,
Laura
Reply 54
Thanks Laura, looking forward to meeting you :smile: Have you done all the tasks? I'm trying to do them, but so many of my friends who were on the degree before said no one did them!
Reply 55
I've been trying to get through them. I have done most of the first set of tasks. For the second lot I have been reading about phonics and just started reading that Skemp article on mathematics which I am finding a bit tricky to understand!!! Im going to give it my best shot to get most of them done but not sure I will have done them all by time we start. Its interesting to hear that you heard that no one did them before as I did wonder if there will be many people who haven't which makes me feel better if I don't manage them. I still think it's been really useful to do them though as its gets us thinking about some of things we will be doing.

On-line enrolment opens today! Hope that runs smoothly for everyone and its 2 weeks today till we start! Final countdown!

Laura
Reply 56
Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled across this discussion and have found all the posts very useful! I've got a place on the Primary PGCE 5-11 years starting in September. Very exciting!

I've seen some people talking about the tasks and thought I would dive in with a question. I've done all of the second lot of tasks about the national priority areas and all of the first lot apart from the question about the qualities of an effective teacher, which I'm a little confused about and longing to get finished so I can have some free time before the course starts. I have the 3 qualities in mind that I am going to discuss and examples I can use to illustrate them, but when it comes to the third point 'scruntinise how these qualities are represented in the teachers standards' I'm a bit stumped! Does this just mean to mention how these qualitites are reflected in the standards or do we literally have to scrutinise the standards and pick them apart? Seeing as the task is only 800 words I presume it's the former?

I've spent absolutely ages getting these tasks completed so I really hope that we do have to do them else I've spent a lot of my summer working when I could have been getting in ultimate relaxation before September haha!

Looking forward to meeting you all.
Jenny
Reply 57
Original post by Lauz28
I did wonder if there will be many people who haven't which makes me feel better if I don't manage them. I still think it's been really useful to do them though as its gets us thinking about some of things we will be doing.

I agree, I'm trying my best to do them, but I'm probably not going to let myself get super stressed out...Plenty of time for that when we start the course!

Original post by Jennifer.P
I've seen some people talking about the tasks and thought I would dive in with a question. I've done all of the second lot of tasks about the national priority areas and all of the first lot apart from the question about the qualities of an effective teacher, which I'm a little confused about and longing to get finished so I can have some free time before the course starts. I have the 3 qualities in mind that I am going to discuss and examples I can use to illustrate them, but when it comes to the third point 'scruntinise how these qualities are represented in the teachers standards' I'm a bit stumped! Does this just mean to mention how these qualitites are reflected in the standards or do we literally have to scrutinise the standards and pick them apart? Seeing as the task is only 800 words I presume it's the former?

Hi Jennifer :smile: The way I saw it was the same as your first example: look at the teaching standards, and include some quotes or whatever about where they mention the qualities you believe to be the most important.

Does anyone know if these pieces are getting marked? Or even handed in? I know this particular question on what makes an effective teacher is going to be handed in and read, but they don't mention whether they'll mark the content, but rather seem to suggest they'll be looking more at what our writing skills are like.

Do any of the others get handed in?

Not long now! At the moment I think I'm more nervous about starting Uni again all alone than the course itself! I used to study at Falmer when I did my first degree, it's going to feel weird to be back by myself with all new people!
Reply 58
Hey Everyone,

Panic is starting to set in! I have only completed the "all about me" and one other task. I have barely looked at the other tasks as I have been so busy working. I'm now finished work and hoping to get them done over the next two weeks, which I feel will be difficult!! I'm hoping we dont have to hand them in during induction week, the extra time will be a bonus. A girl I know is doing the Mathematics PGCE in Brighton and has no tasks as yet, I have a feeling this is going to be a very very very tough year for us!! but i'm up for the challenge :smile:
See you all very soon :smile:
Reply 59
So what does everyone look like? What are your interests? We could describe ourselves and then see if we can work out who's who on the first day!

Alternatively we could agree that that's a really lame idea and forget it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending