Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Networking - any medievalists?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greetings!
    I'm a newcomer to these parts, and I am wondering if there are many people here who share my fascination/obsession with the Middle Ages, and would be very keen to get in touch with anyone who does.
    If there are any more of us, what specific era and/or aspect of the post-Roman to pre-Tudor era (a very liberal definition of "medieval") is your area of expertise?
    Mine are Viking Age and Hundred Years War, my favourite bits being anything to do with arms, armour and all that typically medieval fun. I'm lucky enough to be in a reenactment group of the era too which is great.
    Hope to hear from some fellow pointy-shiny junkies soon!
    Hayden
    :viking:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHayden)
    Greetings!
    I'm a newcomer to these parts, and I am wondering if there are many people here who share my fascination/obsession with the Middle Ages, and would be very keen to get in touch with anyone who does.
    If there are any more of us, what specific era and/or aspect of the post-Roman to pre-Tudor era (a very liberal definition of "medieval") is your area of expertise?
    Mine are Viking Age and Hundred Years War, my favourite bits being anything to do with arms, armour and all that typically medieval fun. I'm lucky enough to be in a reenactment group of the era too which is great.
    Hope to hear from some fellow pointy-shiny junkies soon!
    Hayden
    :viking:
    so glad to find someone like me! I am OBSSESSED. I believe it was the peak of human civilisation. Everthing from that age fascinates me: the clothes, castles, proper horse sword brandishing battles, damsels in distress, knights in shining armour, court music, lavish monarchs who actually did something(not like modern times). My obssession is so great that I actually have a sense of longing and nostalgia when I watch medieval films or read medieval books. Ive come to believe I had a past life/lives during that time.
    Ermm, my favourite period is probably between 1100-1540, particularly in England and Spain. Im not an historical expert, damn I dont even do it for A level, but I read up A LOT during my spare time and Im particularly knowledgable about the Tudors and castilian monarchs of about 13th, 14th centuries
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greetings Marc!
    There is something completely fascinating about the era isn't there. I know exactly what you mean by longing and nostalgia - I am, piece by piece, converting almost my whole life to reflect the medieval world in some way as I don't really feel right if I'm doing something that doesn't have something medieval involved at least a little bit. My bedroom looks like an armoury after years of weapon collecting, and my music library is full of Viking metal, haha.
    If you feel the same way as I, which it sounds like you do, you should definitely get involved in some reenactment! I only really feel like myself when I'm in a shield wall being shot at with arrows, or sitting around a camp fire with a bottle of mead in one hand.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greetings Marc!
    There is something completely fascinating about the era isn't there. I know exactly what you mean by longing and nostalgia - I am, piece by piece, converting almost my whole life to reflect the medieval world in some way as I don't really feel right if I'm doing something that doesn't have something medieval involved at least a little bit. My bedroom looks like an armoury after years of weapon collecting, and my music library is full of Viking metal, haha.
    If you feel the same way as I, which it sounds like you do, you should definitely get involved in some reenactment! I only really feel like myself when I'm in a shield wall being shot at with arrows, or sitting around a camp fire with a bottle of mead in one hand.
    I probably should give reenactment a go, to see what it's like lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I love medieval history. Pretty much all of it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yay so glad to see fellow obsessors!! I love everything to do with the Hundred Years war and from about 1100 upto the Reformation. Marc, you should definetly go to a re-enactment, they are fantastic, I went to one last year for the 525th anniversary of Bosworth Field. So much fun!

I can't really name one thing in particular that I love about this time period, so much to choose from- I love the clothing, the notion of Chivalry, the armour, lifestyles...lol I could go on forever. I do have to admit however I am reasonably obsessed with Ecclestical History, anything to do with changing religions and the church really float my body. Probably part of the reason I love the Reformation period even though that is more Early Modern History
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also love visiting old castles and being in rooms where famous historical figures were born or died. To think you could be standing in the very same place where hundreds of years ago, a queen would have been screaming, giving birth to a king....freaky.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    ME ME ME

I've got a fascination with Russian Medieval History, in particular it's religious development ie. conversion to Orthodox Christianity and the way it's church structure developed.

But I find the conversion of Europe to Christianity a fascinating process generally, it's probably one of the single most important events (if you can call it a single event seeing as it happened over centuries) in Europe's History.

I'm planning on doing my own personal research project on the subject.

Oh and I love me some Chaucer
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah it is excellent to meet a few of you, I was concerned that I would be pretty much alone! I'm especially glad to hear of Belladonnanoir's interest in armour and the Hundred Years War, given my collection of the former and frequent recreations of the latter!
    I am on the verge, if I find time, of doing a research project into the sociological effects of alcohol on the medieval youth culture which should be great fun. I will be sure to upload it so that anybody who is interested can have a read!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ye olde bump.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another ye olde bump, for Kitty.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc707)
    I believe it was the peak of human civilisation.
    Really?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a medieval fan right here! Reading around the Angevin English Kings at the moment.
    On a trip to London also managed to see the Illuminated manuscripts exhibition - anyone else manage to? (So enthralling...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't narrowly define myself as a medievalist as I have an interest in most historical periods, but I've certainly got a great deal of interest in the middle ages and I studied them extensively for three years at Edinburgh uni.

The Byzantine Empire is probably my biggest historical obsession. I'm fascinated by all aspects of Byzantine history (political, cultural, ecclesiastical, military), particularly the Empire under the Macedonian and Komnenian dynasties. In-fact I did my dissertation on the use of Diplomacy and Intelligence gathering during the Byzantine 'age of reconquest' in the late 10th and early 11th centuries, which was led by the so-called 'soldier-emperors' Nikephoros II Phokas, John I Tzimiskes and Basil I.

I'm also a big fan of Norman history, particularly the history of the Norman conquest in Southern Italy under the leadership of the Hauteville family, as well as Arab history (in the middle east, Spain and Italy), the history of many of the Italian Maritime republics (particularly Venice and Genoa), Medieval Scottish History, the idea of nationhood during the middle ages and finally the Carolingian Empire.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    About to start an MA in archaeological research of the medieval, so I guess I qualify. Undergrad dissertation is on castles.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    About to start an MA in archaeological research of the medieval, so I guess I qualify. Undergrad dissertation is on castles.
    That sounds great fun! Course starting next year features modules of archaeology in which, if we're lucky, we get to poke around in Viking age graves in Norway. Rather exciting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an English student, but I did my undergrad dissertation on 'Traces of a Pan-Germanic, Pre-Christian Religion in Anglo-Saxon Literature' (Sadly, the main conclusion that most scholars come to is that there isn't one, simply due to the nature of such religion as being highly unorganised), and I will be starting an MA in Medieval Studies in September. My main periods of interest are the Migration Age and Viking age, but I'd also like to learn more about medieval warfare. My main research interest, though, is regarding cultural diffusion between varying medieval societies. I expect to focus primarily on the Anglo-Saxons and Scandinavia, but I'm not opposed to looking at say, the Byzantines and Italy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am an EU student (will start at BBK BA History oct 2012, anyone there?) and I really like XI - XIV Century England. I am currently modelling some medieval houses in 3d and would like to share what I have made so far (A glazier's shop).
    Also, I have read Ian Mortimer's time traveller's guide to medieval England. I know as I start at Uni I'll get to more serious readings, but that book's really great and fun to read. It's a fascinating era indeed
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lore92)
    Hi all,

I am an EU student (will start at BBK BA History oct 2012, anyone there?) and I really like XI - XIV Century England. I am currently modelling some medieval houses in 3d and would like to share what I have made so far (A glazier's shop).
    Also, I have read Ian Mortimer's time traveller's guide to medieval England. I know as I start at Uni I'll get to more serious readings, but that book's really great and fun to read. It's a fascinating era indeed
    An excellent book! He is a great author, he makes it so accessible. I would like to see these houses you're modelling - my biggest ambition is to build and inhabit a fully authentic one myself! Good to hear from you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    An excellent book! He is a great author, he makes it so accessible. I would like to see these houses you're modelling - my biggest ambition is to build and inhabit a fully authentic one myself! Good to hear from you.
    Glad to hear you know it, I actually enjoyed his way of making the reader understand those people were alive and had to come to terms with everyday life. They're not just names and dates in history books, but thinking human beings. And I think understanding this is the main point of history. For the same purposes I've decided to model some houses as I said and then would like to send some images to mr Mortimer and have a feedback on the accuracy.
    Here are a few images of a Glazier's Laboratory in the basement (upper floor and views from the outside will follow soon)
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lab internal 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	142916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lab internal 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	142917  

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.