The Student Room Group

Anyone doing CCEA As Geography?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustDisturbia
What sort of stuff do you reckon could be asked about our fieldwork?
Dreading it and the smaller multipart questions
12markers are more straight foward as long as you know your casestudies- unless they ask you for a landform :frown:

Stages in the investigation process

Which statistical analysis technique you're going to use and why

Describing and explaining the fieldwork (expand 100 word report)

Safety procedures/Risk analysis

Sampling technique used and why

Draw a line graph related to your results (we did sand dunes and the relationship between soil pH and distance inland.)

There are other questions that could come up, too. Just check past papers and see what they've asked!
When you think about it, the exam can't be that bad.
90 marks in total
30 for fieldwork, 24 for case studies, 12 each for Fluvial, Ecosystems and Atmosphere.
Hoping for at least 2 describe questions and maybe a trophic pyramid too :biggrin:
Original post by xDanny 117

Stages in the investigation process

Which statistical analysis technique you're going to use and why

Describing and explaining the fieldwork (expand 100 word report)

Safety procedures/Risk analysis

Sampling technique used and why

Draw a line graph related to your results (we did sand dunes and the relationship between soil pH and distance inland.)

There are other questions that could come up, too. Just check past papers and see what they've asked!
When you think about it, the exam can't be that bad.
90 marks in total
30 for fieldwork, 24 for case studies, 12 each for Fluvial, Ecosystems and Atmosphere.
Hoping for at least 2 describe questions and maybe a trophic pyramid too :biggrin:

Aghh not TOO bad but bad enough,absolutely HATE unit 1..:frown:
are they predictions yous got in clas Danny :smile:? you know rthe way you did sand dunes and p.h we did that too..but see when they ask you to describe and explain WHY this happened, so went from an alkaline to acid..can you explain why this process takes place plz :smile:
Original post by aqagcse2011
are they predictions yous got in clas Danny :smile:? you know rthe way you did sand dunes and p.h we did that too..but see when they ask you to describe and explain WHY this happened, so went from an alkaline to acid..can you explain why this process takes place plz :smile:

No these are my own little predictions! We're getting our predictions on Tuesday during revision classes for Geography :biggrin:

Basically at the shore you have Sea shells which contain calcium carbonate which is an alkaline substance, increasing the pH. As you move further inland, the number of sea shells reduce which reduces the alkaline content of the soil. Also, there is more humus as you move further inland which is evident in our study showing that the number of plant species increases with distance inland. More plant species means more humus which means more humic acid is in the soil. This will decrease the pH (use figures from your table).
Summary: as we move inland, CaCo3 content (sea shells) decreases and humus/number of plant species increases which means increasing amounts of humic acid and a decreasing pH.

If they ask you why there is more vegetation, you'd first have to go into the formation of sand dunes (plentiful supply of sand, prevailing winds from the west, wind carrys(think bounces) sand up the beach via saltation, sand may get trapped in organic content eg seaweed decreasing wind speed and increasing deposition in the same spot.. leading to the formation of an embryo dune.) Then, I'd talk about growing conditions at the embryo dune and compare them to conditions at the grey/mature dunes. You'll find that growing conditions are more ideal at the grey/mature dunes!
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks Danny that was very much helpful :biggrin: another question is how does ocean currents and winds bring warm or cool weather , could you explain that to me in simple terms , thanks :smile:
Could someone explain the global energy balance..:s-smilie:
Basically there is a deficit of energy (outgoing terrestrial radiation > incoming solar radiation) at the poles (areas 40-90 degrees north/south of the equator) and there is a surplus( incoming solar radiation > outgoing terrestrial radiation) at the tropics (areas 0-40 degrees north/ south of the equator). The global energy balance is a way of maintaining a balance of energy between the poles and tropics.

I strongly recommend using ocean currents as your "horizontal transfer" that helps maintain the G.E.B:
Ocean currents are circular currents that carry surplus energy from the tropics to the poles. They move in an clockwise direction in the Northern Hemisphere and an anti-clockwise direction in the southern hemisphere due to the Coriolis effect. Warm Currents eg North Atlantic Drift carry energy to the cold areas at the poles, then the energy is released as latent heat, warming the poles and supplying the deficit. Cold currents eg Labrador Current cools the tropics, lowering the surplus and maintaining the global energy balance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xDanny 117
Basically there is a deficit of energy (outgoing terrestrial radiation > incoming solar radiation) at the poles (areas 40-90 degrees north/south of the equator) and there is a surplus( incoming solar radiation > outgoing terrestrial radiation) at the tropics (areas 0-40 degrees north/ south of the equator). The global energy balance is a way of maintaining a balance of energy between the poles and tropics.

I strongly recommend using ocean currents as your "horizontal transfer" that helps maintain the G.E.B:
Ocean currents are circular currents that carry surplus energy from the tropics to the poles. They move in an clockwise direction in the Northern Hemisphere and an anti-clockwise direction in the southern hemisphere due to the Coriolis effect. Warm Currents eg North Atlantic Drift carry energy to the cold areas at the poles, then the energy is released as latent heat, warming the poles and supplying the deficit. Cold currents eg Labrador Current cools the tropics, lowering the surplus and maintaining the global energy balance.

thank you! it all makes sense now.. section 3(a) is awful. the general circulation of atmosphere:confused::confused::confused: madness..BUT im so glad to say this stuff is finally sinking in!:biggrin: finaaaaaally!!! *happy dance*
(edited 11 years ago)
Danny any predictions for tomorrow :smile: ?
My geography teacher was insistent that we should have more than one hypothesis for our feildwork, has anyone elses teacher repeated the some thing as well? Can't remember the reason why he's unhappy with us only having one hypothesis, mabye its a marks issue, mabye its the nature of our feildwork. Our feildwork involved visiting around 15 residential streets working progressively away from the town centre/main street area, with our hypothesis being gentrification becomes more visible as one progresses away from the town centre.The spec doesn't specify the number of hypotheses that is required anyway.

I personally think my primary hypothesis holds its own, and the sesond one my teacher suggested seems a bit pointless to me.

Any thoughts on the matter are very welcome!
Jamie im not too sure on that matter at all, your teacher should ask CCEA what the matter is :smile: ? do you have any predictions for tomoros test?
Original post by Jamie8675309
My geography teacher was insistent that we should have more than one hypothesis for our feildwork, has anyone elses teacher repeated the some thing as well? Can't remember the reason why he's unhappy with us only having one hypothesis, mabye its a marks issue, mabye its the nature of our feildwork. Our feildwork involved visiting around 15 residential streets working progressively away from the town centre/main street area, with our hypothesis being gentrification becomes more visible as one progresses away from the town centre.The spec doesn't specify the number of hypotheses that is required anyway.

I personally think my primary hypothesis holds its own, and the sesond one my teacher suggested seems a bit pointless to me.

Any thoughts on the matter are very welcome!

With our main hypothesis we have a few sub hypotheses. I don't know how relevant they are but we obviously did them for a reason!

Predictions? Hmm my teacher basically said this:

Praries(mid latitude grasslands) case study wont come up, been on 2 papers in a row.

Be ready to do a scatter graph as they asked spearmans rank on January's paper.

Make sure you know deltas as they haven't asked about them in a while.

Horizontal/Vertical transfers haven't been on in a while so look for them (Ocean currents etc)

Know the role of decomposers in an ecosystem as they LOVE to ask it

Summer and Winter Anticyclone - Contrast the impacts

I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow and I hope we get a good paper!
(edited 11 years ago)
thanks Danny :smile: yeah hope we do get a good paper is your teacher very good at predicting ? what are the role of decomposers ?
thanks Danny :smile: yeah hope we do get a good paper is your teacher very good at predicting ? what are the role of decomposers ?

She was good at GCSE but A-Level has a lot more material so she might get it wrong!

Decomposers break down the litter layer (the dead organic matter) through the process of decay. This feeds the nutrients contained in the litter layer to the soil where they are stored and eventually transferred to the biomass through root uptake!

It's simple really but a lot of people don't know it! :P
not so bad then :smile: ino how deltas are formed but the text book is too detailed, do you have a condensed explanation?
They form when a river moves into a slow moving body of water (the sea), this slows down the river, reduces energy, and causes deposition.

If the sea water is very salty, this will cause more flocculation (sediment sticking together) , this will increase the weight of the sediment and the energy required to transport it. Since the river lost this energy when it reached the sea, it deposits the sediment.

Lots of sediment and gentle tidal action allow the deposited sediment to build up over time forming a delta.

That's what I've learned. Of course there'll be waffley bits in between these points :L Oh also remember to say that there are two types of delta and give an example of each!
leathal :smile: whats your case study for summer and winter anticylones?
reckon we'll need colouring pencils?:L
leathal :smile: whats your case study for summer and winter anticylones?

Summer- Summer 1995 Britain
Winter- Winter 1963 Britain

I hope it's just positive and negative impacts as i haven't done much else lol
Original post by JustDisturbia
reckon we'll need colouring pencils?:L

No as you simply wont have time to colour in diagrams during the exam and they don't ask you to. Timing is crucial in this exam!
Just remember a sharp pencil in case they ask a scatter graph, a ruler for lines of best fit etc and a calculator if they ask spearmans rank
yeno for the title of the scattergraph why do they give us so little room ? mines on sand dunes and soil p.h what title will i do??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending