The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 2 18th January

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LifeIsGood
I think that goes into too much detail, they are simply asking if you understand how the concept 'works'.

Did my explanation help you though?

Kind of...
I still don't get the sperm cell mass DNA bit though, I mean shouldn't the mass be 15 because if a cell divides via meiosis (which it has to to produce a gamete cell), it will produce four genetically different cells therefore if the starting mass of the cell that is going to go through meiosis is 30, each daughter cell must be 15 (a quarter of 30).

The reason you state was different.

I got the other bit.
Original post by Besakt
Kind of...
I still don't get the sperm cell mass DNA bit though, I mean shouldn't the mass be 15 because if a cell divides via meiosis (which it has to to produce a gamete cell), it will produce four genetically different cells therefore if the starting mass of the cell that is going to go through meiosis is 30, each daughter cell must be 15 (a quarter of 30).

The reason you state was different.

I got the other bit.

The mass is 15

I think you're confusing meiosis & mitosis - do not mix them up.

This may help you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
The mass is 15

I know but I need to know the reason behind it or it will just annoy me.
Original post by Besakt
I know but I need to know the reason behind it or it will just annoy me.

I looked at the question again, you have the starting point is the Prophase, that's fine.

Then they give you the final stage - Telophase. Now you have to relate the sperm cell directly to the telophase stage. It makes sense because you have two identical cells with a mass of 30 right? Ok, so imagine that one cell (like in the diagram above) divides into another two, one of those cells is the sperm cell which has mass of 15.
Reply 24
urghhh aqa website isnt working!!!!! Im so nervous about this exam I totally flunked it :/ Unit 1 is so much easier...:frown:
Reply 25
I looked at the question again, you have the starting point is the Prophase, that's fine.

Then they give you the final stage - Telophase. Now you have to relate the sperm cell directly to the telophase stage. It makes sense because you have two identical cells with a mass of 30 right? Ok, so imagine that one cell (like in the diagram above) divides into another two, one of those cells is the sperm cell which has mass of 15.

Yet but if the one cell had a mass of 30 and it produced a gamete cell from that each gamete cell would have a mass of 7.5, because in meiosis 4 daughter cells are created.
Original post by neeloo
urghhh aqa website isnt working!!!!! Im so nervous about this exam I totally flunked it :/ Unit 1 is so much easier...:frown:

What'd you get before? I got a C in June :frown:

Original post by Besakt
Yet but if the one cell had a mass of 30 and it produced a gamete cell from that each gamete cell would have a mass of 7.5, because in meiosis 4 daughter cells are created.

I honestly don't know then, sorry.
Reply 27

I've finally got it, it is because of meiosis I and meiosis II. Well I hope it is.

Need to get more than A grade this time, got a low A last time just doing this exam again because I want more UMS marks so there is less pressure on my A2 levels.
Original post by Besakt
I've finally got it, it is because of meiosis I and meiosis II. Well I hope it is.

Need to get more than A grade this time, got a low A last time just doing this exam again because I want more UMS marks so there is less pressure on my A2 levels.

That's good! I would love to get an A aswell, here's to hoping :redface:
Reply 29
That's good! I would love to get an A aswell, here's to hoping :redface:

I'm sure you'll get it. :biggrin:

I got C in BIOL1 in January and came out with two As in June (BIOL1 and BIOL2) in June. So it's more than possible.
Reply 30

Same, a C :frown: I was so gutted it was a horrible paper i thought, Really need an A this time :/
Original post by Besakt
I'm sure you'll get it. :biggrin:

I got C in BIOL1 in January and came out with two As in June (BIOL1 and BIOL2) in June. So it's more than possible.

Hope so, thanks for the wishes :smile:

Do you have any tips on HSW questions? I'm going to go through a few papers and will put some model answers up once I finished this paper.

Original post by neeloo
Same, a C :frown: I was so gutted it was a horrible paper i thought, Really need an A this time :/

I want an A aswell! I got a very high C, one mark from a B but really want an A now.
Reply 32
Does any1 know where I can get the mark schemes for all the past papers. I clicked them on the website and it keeps showing me Jan 2010 on all the other papers :s-smilie: what the hell
Reply 33

Do you have any tips on HSW questions? I'm going to go through a few papers and will put some model answers up once I finished this paper.

I want an A aswell! I got a very high C, one mark from a B but really want an A now.

LOL I knw the feeling, so far but yet so close :tongue: Hopefully we should get A's this time, What do you hope to do at uni if you dont mind me asking? I desperately need an a for my course so I really do hope I can pull it off tbis time :smile:
Reply 34
Ok thats strange.. its working now. Stupid AQA
Reply 35

Look up the definitions of the HSW word such as reliable, accuracy, precision and may sure you use them in the right context, a lot of HSW have the same blueprint just a slightly different wording of the question so make sure you've done a lot of past papers so you are familiar.
Original post by neeloo
LOL I knw the feeling, so far but yet so close :tongue: Hopefully we should get A's this time, What do you hope to do at uni if you dont mind me asking? I desperately need an a for my course so I really do hope I can pull it off tbis time :smile:

Biomedical Science, need 3 B grades. You?

Original post by Besakt
Look up the definitions of the HSW word such as reliable, accuracy, precision and may sure you use them in the right context, a lot of HSW have the same blueprint just a slightly different wording of the question so make sure you've done a lot of past papers so you are familiar.

Those particular keywords never come up though :s-smilie:
Reply 37
Biomedical Science, need 3 B grades. You?

Those particular keywords never come up though :s-smilie:

Dentistry- 3 a's eek! You should be getting any uni of ur choice if u get an A in bio this time! Good luck with everything!
Original post by neeloo
Dentistry- 3 a's eek! You should be getting any uni of ur choice if u get an A in bio this time! Good luck with everything!

Oh wow best of luck! :biggrin:
Original post by HollyL
I got an E. I was horrified!
I've just done that.. the transpiration?

Oh mind helping with transport of water then?
Eg root pressure and cohesive tension theory.

Quick Reply

Latest