The Student Room Group

Ucas Reference.

To put a long story short......my former tutor after promising to provide a reference turned around and said i cant and am unable to provide a reference till next week even though the deadline is the 15 jan which is today. i had to argue with her for about half an hour to even agree she said " i cant provide a reference for someone who i have seen for 2 years. now i decided to go to my volunatary community leader and ask him to provided a reference will that suffice is my question or must there be an educational reference even though i have been away from education for 2 years?? thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Raah!
To put a long story short......my former tutor after promising to provide a reference turned around and said i cant and am unable to provide a reference till next week even though the deadline is the 15 jan which is today. i had to argue with her for about half an hour to even agree she said " i cant provide a reference for someone who i have seen for 2 years. now i decided to go to my volunatary community leader and ask him to provided a reference will that suffice is my question or must there be an educational reference even though i have been away from education for 2 years?? thanks in advance

Hi Raahi
In my experience it normally has to be someone whos know you for a least a year and can comment on your academic background and your suitability for whatever degree u hope to do usually this is i am afraid a tutor or your personal tutor at your educational establishment

if you need further clarification i suggest u phone up ucas and ask them.The 15th january is the main closing date for ontime applicants.Of course you can apply after 15 january deadline however universities will only consider your application at their discretion,the 15 january just means that all universities have to give your application form equal consideration alongside other applicants who have applied at the same time as yourself
hope this makes sense to u
Reply 2
Original post by wizardtop
Hi Raahi
In my experience it normally has to be someone whos know you for a least a year and can comment on your academic background and your suitability for whatever degree u hope to do usually this is i am afraid a tutor or your personal tutor at your educational establishment

if you need further clarification i suggest u phone up ucas and ask them.The 15th january is the main closing date for ontime applicants.Of course you can apply after 15 january deadline however universities will only consider your application at their discretion,the 15 january just means that all universities have to give your application form equal consideration alongside other applicants who have applied at the same time as yourself
hope this makes sense to u

My question is would they reject my whole application even though my personal statement lets just say is good and i meet their entry requirements. However the only problem is the reference which talks about my skills as an indiviual related to what they require from me to succeed on the course. I can still get a reference from my teacher and pop down to the uni its about 5mins walk from where i live. Will they accept this sort of approach?. And what do you mean by equal consideration, do you mean they can disregard my application and accept those who applied "early"?
Reply 3
Original post by Raah!
My question is would they reject my whole application even though my personal statement lets just say is good and i meet their entry requirements. However the only problem is the reference which talks about my skills as an indiviual related to what they require from me to succeed on the course. I can still get a reference from my teacher and pop down to the uni its about 5mins walk from where i live. Will they accept this sort of approach?. And what do you mean by equal consideration, do you mean they can disregard my application and accept those who applied "early"?

Your personal statement as i am sure u are aware Raah has to be geared towards the type of degree u wish to do at university.

If u meet the entry requirements for whatever degree u applied for and have a good personal statement,the deciding factor on whether u get a place or interview comes down to the reference i am afraid,like i said previously it need to be someone who can confidently comment on your academic ability as well as motivation and commitment to succeed on ur chosen degree.
equal consideration means just that if u apply before the 15th january deadline which is just gone all the universities have to consider u on level pegging as it were with anyone else
After this deadline of 15th January 2012.They will still consider u but might wait until they have consider those applicants who applied before the 15th january deadline
if this makes any kind of sense to u
It also depends upon how competive the degree u wish to do is etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending