The Student Room Group

Advice on Masters in Economics for IB career in London

Hi guys,

I'm new in this forum and am looking for your help if you can. I would like to apply for a Master degree in economics in UK (not a pure finance one)
I have professional experience in IB as a trader and hold a degree in engineering with major in finance from a non uk college.
My purpose is being able to take a financial job in London after the master for a year, maybe two, and then go back to my country.
I know Oxbridge, LSE and UCL are the best but the most difficult to be admitted too.
I have been researching and I have found the following programs that suits to my needs. I would like your thoughts about them and any comment that you think would help me clarify my decissions (recruitment in IB, reputation, etc). Thanks in advance!!!

Best Regards

Edinburgh - Master in Economics (Finance)
Manchester - Master in Financial Economics
Nottingham - Master in Economics and Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
location-wise I would go for Manchester (bigger city, possibly more connections) although I think Edinburg has the best overall reputation among the three. I would strongly recommend applying for the London Unis if you are determined to work in London after the Masters. What's your academic background? Cass is a lot easier to get in relative to Imperial/LSE/UCL and I think its business school has quite a good link with the industry as well. You should look into the courses they offer.
Reply 2
thanks vic10. My background is:

UG: Engineer with major in finance (distinction, ranked 1st)
GPA: 83%
Courses in econ: Intro, Macro I-II (Dornbusch and D.Romer), Micro I-II (W. Nicholson, Frank and Varian), International Economics (P.Krueger and Appleyard), Econometrics (Gujarati and Green). GPA: 86%
Courses in Quant: Algebra, Linear Algebra (Grossman, Budnick), Calculus I-II (Stewart, Edwards and Penny), Statistics I-II (Webster, Newbold), Forecasting Methods. GPA: 88%.
A lot of courses in Finance and accounting.
TA in Intro and Macro I. RA in finance department
GRE not taken yet.
3 years of full time experience in IB both as an FX and Equity trader.

Now with more information available, where do you think I could get a high probability of admission??

Cheers
Reply 3
Are you sure you want to do Economics of Finance and not just Finance?
Economics Finance is a degree for people who want to be an Economists specializing in Finance, not just to get some job in Finance field. It is 90% economics and only 10% finance, really.

GRE is not required for any of these schools. You can probably get into any of them, as long as you can pay the bill.
Reply 4
janjanmmm, I don't want to do Finance because my major and experience in the field, plus i'm taking cfa level 1 in june.
I want to do economics taking elective courses in asset pricing, international finance, etc, because I really like study economics and when I return to my country, I would like to being able to taught some basic economics courses at the undergraduate level (part time), perhaps a financial economics or a money and banking course, I don´t know. I enjoyed a lot when I was a teaching assistant.
I have the experience and undergraduate degree in finance and recently enrolled in the CFA program.
I am looking for a degree in Economics but where I be able to take financial economics electives.

Regards
Reply 5
What about the 2 year route in LSE or Cambridge (Diploma + Msc), taking GRE obviously. How difficult is to be accepted through this option?
Reply 6
Plenty of people in IB with economics masters who do not work as economists per se, so I don't see any problem with the intentions. If anything, I think the subjects OP is looking at in terms of Eco with finance widens the potential job opportunities.

Not sure about the competition for diploma places to end up with an MSc from LSE or Cambridge, but your grades are certainly good enough for a decent chance I would think, and you already have more Eco and quant subjects than many people who as I understand it apply for that route.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Econla
What about the 2 year route in LSE or Cambridge (Diploma + Msc), taking GRE obviously. How difficult is to be accepted through this option?

It is certainly very hard to be accepted to LSE/Cambridge for economics. The admission statistics an be accessed on their websites and it's, from memory, something like a 1000 applicants for 50 spots. (Of course, they have to admit many more than 50 people to fill the course, but you get the idea.) Also, if you want to teach in colleges, you will need a PhD degree in addition or instead of a master's. But if you just want to get a job in London, I don't see the need for additional education since you already have work experience. Many companies run their own training programs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ghost6
It is certainly very hard to be accepted to LSE/Cambridge for economics. The admission statistics an be accessed on their websites and it's, from memory, something like a 1000 applicants for 50 spots..

Offers are higher than admissions, and OP if I understand is asking about doing the diploma course first. He would need to attain a certain minimum in the diploma to continue to MSc. I think his chances are decent - these schools like people who have been ranked first in their undergrad majors :wink:
Reply 9
About teaching economics at the undergraduate level, I was thinking on a community college, not a university....it would be just for the pleasure to taught (not for $$), which I tested when I was a TA.
The thing is as I stated in my previous posts that I would like to have the chance of working in London a couple of years and the return to my country.
I have a real chance to get a government scholarship to pursue a master degree in UK (not an MBA)
I don't want pure finance since I learned a lot in college plus my professional experience. I want a rigurous program more theoretical than applied to expand my future career options. My major is in finance, I have some experience, I'm taking CFA and I would like to add some formal economics. I am looking not just the short term but long term growth. Now, the ideal curriculum would one that has economic theory and you can choose electives in financial economics, money banking, etc, but in an university well respected by london recruiters.
Could you give me some alternatives to this plan, you that know much better than me how the things work in london?.
Best regards guys and thanks for all your comments.
Reply 10
Original post by Econla
Hi guys,

I'm new in this forum and am looking for your help if you can. I would like to apply for a Master degree in economics in UK (not a pure finance one)
I have professional experience in IB as a trader and hold a degree in engineering with major in finance from a non uk college.
My purpose is being able to take a financial job in London after the master for a year, maybe two, and then go back to my country.
I know Oxbridge, LSE and UCL are the best but the most difficult to be admitted too.
I have been researching and I have found the following programs that suits to my needs. I would like your thoughts about them and any comment that you think would help me clarify my decissions (recruitment in IB, reputation, etc). Thanks in advance!!!

Best Regards

Edinburgh - Master in Economics (Finance)
Manchester - Master in Financial Economics
Nottingham - Master in Economics and Finance

where r u from? Outside Europe, nobody has heard of Edinburugh. Talk to your Employers and see which Masters they recognise.

like the famous quote, it is not who u think will win the pageant that is important, more importantly, it is who the judges think will win.
Reply 11
Original post by Econla
About teaching economics at the undergraduate level, I was thinking on a community college, not a university....it would be just for the pleasure to taught (not for $$), which I tested when I was a TA.
The thing is as I stated in my previous posts that I would like to have the chance of working in London a couple of years and the return to my country.
I have a real chance to get a government scholarship to pursue a master degree in UK (not an MBA)
I don't want pure finance since I learned a lot in college plus my professional experience. I want a rigurous program more theoretical than applied to expand my future career options. My major is in finance, I have some experience, I'm taking CFA and I would like to add some formal economics. I am looking not just the short term but long term growth. Now, the ideal curriculum would one that has economic theory and you can choose electives in financial economics, money banking, etc, but in an university well respected by london recruiters.
Could you give me some alternatives to this plan, you that know much better than me how the things work in london?.
Best regards guys and thanks for all your comments.

actually I am confused.

U r a trader in IB and now want to be a TA?
then u said u want to work in London, as a TA or Trader?
n if u want to continue to be a trader, recruiters may ask why u did not take a Masters in Finance or a masters of quantitative finance/ Financial engineering, etc.
n I thought most government scholarships have a bond in place, meaning u must come back to work for them or at least work in your home country after graduation? You mean your government scholarship allows u to work in London after graduation? That's very generous.

and FYI, if you look at good Masters of Economics from good schools like LSE and Cambridge, most of them require an Economics background. And for good reason, because some argue Economics is more complex than finance. I am also a Finance major but I think I will struggle at Econometrics.
Reply 12
I'm from latinamerica and yes I'm a trader and I worked as a Teaching Assistant (TA) when I was in college. There was when I realized that I really like to teach, this is why I would like to return to academy to taught in some basic level economic courses or perhaps in courses more applied. It's not for the money, just the pleasure of doing it.
Obviously I would like to work in London as a trader.
Regarding the scholarship you're right, I have to return to my country before 2 years since the end of the programme.
If I need to rank my priorities, then would be the following regarding the programme:
1) Targeted school for IB employers
2) Rigorous programme
3) University overall reputation

Do you have some options that could work for this priorities?. I've been seeing:

Edinburgh - Msc Economics (finance specialization)
Nottingham - Msc Economics and Finance
Manchester - Msc Financial Economics
Bristol - Msc Economics and Finance
Warwick - Msc Economics

How good you rank the above programmes?? in terms of the priorities stated before??
Regards!
Reply 13
Original post by Emo_Rhino
where r u from? Outside Europe, nobody has heard of Edinburugh.

Disagree! Edinburgh's brand internationally is surprisingly strong - it has more name recognition internationally than a number of higher ranked UK unis.

And again, the pg diploma is economics is an established pathway for non-economics majors to get onto an MSc.

And finally a masters on finance or financial engineering is not necessary to be a trader. It will be a definite advantage on certain desks, but i know plenty traders without one, even a good number without ANY masters!
Reply 14
you're right sj27, to be a trader, hours trading means perfection, but if you like to be a portfolio manager of a large fund, you need some other tools.
Reply 15
Original post by Econla
I'm from latinamerica and yes I'm a trader and I worked as a Teaching Assistant (TA) when I was in college. There was when I realized that I really like to teach, this is why I would like to return to academy to taught in some basic level economic courses or perhaps in courses more applied. It's not for the money, just the pleasure of doing it.
Obviously I would like to work in London as a trader.
Regarding the scholarship you're right, I have to return to my country before 2 years since the end of the programme.
If I need to rank my priorities, then would be the following regarding the programme:
1) Targeted school for IB employers
2) Rigorous programme
3) University overall reputation

Do you have some options that could work for this priorities?. I've been seeing:

Edinburgh - Msc Economics (finance specialization)
Nottingham - Msc Economics and Finance
Manchester - Msc Financial Economics
Bristol - Msc Economics and Finance
Warwick - Msc Economics

How good you rank the above programmes?? in terms of the priorities stated before??
Regards!

warwick, manchester and Nottingham.
Reply 16
Many thanks Emo-Rhino, very concise. Thanks
Reply 17
What about Edinburgh's Msc Economics (Scotish Graduate Program in Economics). Any comments? How rigorous is it?. Edinburgh overeall is highly ranked internationally speaking.
Reply 18
I would consider Warwick. High reputation in the city, although a place outside London.

Warwick Business School - Finance and Economics

Obviously, LSE and Oxbridge is porbably better but its a nice programme as well.

So my Ranking would be:

LSE - Finance and Economics > Oxford- Financial Economics > WBS- Finance and Economics = Cambridge Finance and Economics > (gap) Edinburgh- Economics (Finance)

However, all programmes are really tough and will be a very good starting point for a finance career...
Reply 19
Original post by Franzel
I would consider Warwick. High reputation in the city, although a place outside London.

Warwick Business School - Finance and Economics

Obviously, LSE and Oxbridge is porbably better but its a nice programme as well.

So my Ranking would be:

LSE - Finance and Economics > Oxford- Financial Economics > WBS- Finance and Economics = Cambridge Finance and Economics > (gap) Edinburgh- Economics (Finance)

However, all programmes are really tough and will be a very good starting point for a finance career...

tough in terms of what? academically?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending