The Student Room Group

Do you sleep well the night before an examination?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darkarium
I usually can't sleep and just stay up the night before, seems to have worked so far. Except for the time I fell asleep at 7am with an exam at 9am and woke up in the afternoon.

Wow was that because of the boring content of the subject or simply because you was tired and it was a winter exam and difficult to arise in the darkness? Yeah sleeping in the afternoon and arising in the evening tends to be effective...especially since tiredness sets in after 18 hours of being awake...after that it is ProPlus to the rescue haha :smile:
Original post by SillyEddy
I love these forums.

People talk in a language that students understand :biggrin:

I see you find ProPlus to be effective too? :biggrin:
Original post by intellectual1
I see you find ProPlus to be effective too? :biggrin:

Can't say I've tried it, but now I have a reason to experiment...
Reply 23
Sleep very early with sleeping pills.
A few things go through my mind the night before the exam vis a vis sleep:

-What if I sleep in?
-What if I try to stay up, but fall asleep and miss the exam?
-What if I fall asleep when I'm getting ready?
-What if I fall asleep in the exam hall?

So as you can see, there are more ways for staying up to go wrong, than there is going to bed early, which is what I choose.
Not normally, however last night was glorious, so prepared for this exam.

Think it all depends on how well I've revised + I tend to make more mistakes caffiened up so a good nights sleep feels important to me. :3
I tend to be able to sleep well only if I have had enough preparation, which I think could be the case for most people.. unless I get too tired from studying O_O
Reply 27
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

-What if I sleep in?

So as you can see, there are more ways for staying up to go wrong, than there is going to bed early, which is what I choose.

Good stuff.

This reminds me of a story of someone I know who ended up failing the year (foundation course) due to oversleeping and missing the exam. The course had a strict no resit policy :frown: I would of been devastated had that happened to me.

However if you barely know anything of the exam material doing a late nighter is probably worth it making sure you set multiple alarms and remind someone in the house to wake you in case you oversleep :tongue:
Reply 28
Yes.
Reply 29
No :lol: I always mean to (all-nighters before exams are incredibly pointless, just do your revision in advance like everyone else) but I get really stressed and can't sleep. :emo:

-What if I sleep in?

Yes the all nighters are only effective if you sleep several hours in the afternoon/evening following that morning.

Falling asleep in the exam is not good...perhaps you should have pro plus? :wink: lol
Yes the all nighters are only effective if you sleep several hours in the afternoon/evening following that morning.

Falling asleep in the exam is not good...perhaps you should have pro plus? :wink: lol

Hi. My name's Intellectual1, and I'm a member of the Pro Plus marketing team. It's soooo hard to sleep after having 2 cans of Pro Plus. Try Pro Plus today! The energy tablet guaranteed to give you that ZAP of energy you need to get through the day.

Chill the **** out about Pro Plus, man. :tongue:
I really struggle sleeping before exams - during my AS exams last summer, I only had 2-3 hours of sleep every night, mostly fragmented. One night I woke every 20-30 minutes... The only exams I managed to sleep before were my Critical Thinking papers, as I wasn't nervous about them - so consequentially they were one of my best marks! Although adrenaline works wonders, my marks did suffer - my English paper could have been better and I'm re-taking an R.E. paper because I was so tired I left out a major part of the argument, despite it being my best paper in mock exams :frown:
If anyone's got any tips about how to relax and get a good night's sleep in the middle of exams that would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
Hi. My name's Intellectual1, and I'm a member of the Pro Plus marketing team. It's soooo hard to sleep after having 2 cans of Pro Plus. Try Pro Plus today! The energy tablet guaranteed to give you that ZAP of energy you need to get through the day.

Chill the **** out about Pro Plus, man. :tongue:

lol not at all...I've actually become sick on the train on the way to an exam after drinking more energy drink that I should've done....but ProPlus has a rather different effect...and by no means do I endorse ProPlus :rolleyes: it leaves you wide awake for almost 28hrs which is not so good if you really want to sleep lol
Original post by ThisLooksLikeFun:)
I really struggle sleeping before exams - during my AS exams last summer, I only had 2-3 hours of sleep every night, mostly fragmented. One night I woke every 20-30 minutes... The only exams I managed to sleep before were my Critical Thinking papers, as I wasn't nervous about them - so consequentially they were one of my best marks! Although adrenaline works wonders, my marks did suffer - my English paper could have been better and I'm re-taking an R.E. paper because I was so tired I left out a major part of the argument, despite it being my best paper in mock exams :frown:
If anyone's got any tips about how to relax and get a good night's sleep in the middle of exams that would be much appreciated! :biggrin:

It is'nt possible during the Winter exams as the dates are so close...but the Summer dates are well spaced out that you should prepare well before...cramming can be effective I know a friend that had read his ChemAS textbook hour before the exam and it did him good in the sense he would'nt have felt as confident if he not done so etc.
It is'nt possible during the Winter exams as the dates are so close...but the Summer dates are well spaced out that you should prepare well before...cramming can be effective I know a friend that had read his ChemAS textbook hour before the exam and it did him good in the sense he would'nt have felt as confident if he not done so etc.

I think it was more stress and nerves than lack of preperation, I try not to cram :s-smilie:
Reply 36
I never sleep well before anything I'm nervous about- I hate it. And even when I get to sleep I normally dream about missing the exam (or whatever it is)
Reply 37
Depends how worried about it I am.

If it looks like I'm going fail, my mind either gives up and goes "accept it, you have absolutely no chance now!" and dozes off, or goes "YOU SHOULD BE AWAKE LEARNING THE STUFF YOU DON'T EVEN REMEMBER LOOKING AT" and I lie there all night...

The latter is how I'm going at the moment. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Depends on how confident I am about the exam.
I tend to revise excessively for any exam, but there are still times when I just feel I haven't done enough. This is when I start to panic and go in to cram-owl mode. I've pulled all-nighters for the majority of my exams since my GCSE years, but it's become a habit that's hard to put out =[.
Original post by Jin3011
Depends on how confident I am about the exam.
I tend to revise excessively for any exam, but there are still times when I just feel I haven't done enough. This is when I start to panic and go in to cram-owl mode. I've pulled all-nighters for the majority of my exams since my GCSE years, but it's become a habit that's hard to put out =[.

All nighters can be effective only if you've done some of the work or if the content is not so complex etc Wow so is that still an effective method for success in exams even in your most recent ones?

Quick Reply

Latest