The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rukiak
the chem 2 isa paper, for group 2, group 7, energetics and moles

I don't have it and never claimed I did. My post that you originally quoted was regarding some other paper. Either way, I don't have it.
Reply 181
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the CHEM2 Jan 2012 paper??
Does anyone have the Jan 12 paper?
Reply 183
Original post by izzo
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the CHEM2 Jan 2012 paper??

have a look at the results day megathread
some guy put them up a while ago :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Sorro10
Another question on Kinetics:

1) Consider the following reaction: Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) --> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)

Explain the effect, if any, on the rate of reaction of:

- (i) Increasing the pressure (2 marks)
- (ii) Adding water (2 marks)
- (iii) Using hydrobromic acid (HBr), on the same concentration, instead of hydrochloric acid.

For part

- (i) No effect as it is not in a gaseous state?
- (ii) Not sure
- (iii) Not sure ;p

Help pl0x

yup no effect 'cuz its not in gaseous state

i think it reduces because it dilutes the HCl further reducing the concentration of it, so there are less collisions between the reactants- HCl and the Zn

HBr is a stronger acid therefore rate of reaction will increase
Original post by Hdizzle
yup no effect 'cuz its not in gaseous state

i think it reduces because it dilutes the HCl further reducing the concentration of it, so there are less collisions between the reactants- HCl and the Zn

HBr is a stronger acid therefore rate of reaction will increase

indeed acids get stronger as you go down group 7 due to weaker bonding between H-X where X is a Halogen
Reply 186
could someone please explain how you would know what the temperature was before/after mixing on the extrapolation of the graph? i was looking through the june 09 paper and although you dont have the results, iw as completely stuck as to what you would actually do :frown:
I saw this and when it said 23rd May, my heart jumped, that gives me almost two weeks more than I originally thought. Thank you so much! I don't have any questions at the moment but I'd just like to thank you for that! :smile:
Doing free radical substitution :smile: pretty easy so far, just worried about how many mechanism's we have to learn :O
Reply 189
Original post by cuckoo99
Doing free radical substitution :smile: pretty easy so far, just worried about how many mechanism's we have to learn :O

the only one that i'm a bit dodgy with is that nucleophillic addition one
went over it so quickly in lesson :frown:
my revision guide needs to hurry up in the post!

i really want an A overall *sigh*
I enjoy the mechanisms so far.. they just seem routine to do.
Reply 191
anyone got the gce aqa biology or chemistry unit 1 question paper for jan 2012? could you please upload it or send me it thanks ever so much
Reply 192
Original post by samfreak
anyone got the gce aqa biology or chemistry unit 1 question paper for jan 2012? could you please upload it or send me it thanks ever so much

i've only got the chem paper
Reply 193
Original post by 3.14Pie
AH I might just start doing some topics at home, how exactly do you revise, your ums was amazing!

Note how many days left for exam,
clear desk of everything, print a syllabus,
start from point 1 topic 1, tick as you go along if you know it, bits you don't know makes notes on that from various sources (internet, books, school book etc.) then once you have completed every topic, go to aqa website, print off every past paper and mark scheme including specimin, and do the papers for the remaining time left, make a note on the front of the paper where you went wrong, then revise that and then move onto the next paper, and eventually you'll start to get 100%.

Gl :smile:
Reply 194
AQA CHEM2 January 2012 PAST PAPER on first page 1st post
Reply 195
Mechanisms

For AS-Chemistry there are 4 Mechanisms you need to know:

- Free Radical Substitution
- Nucleophilic Substitution
- Elimination
- Electrophilic Addiditon

i) Free Radical Substitution

STEP 1: Initiation --> Production of Free Radicals by homolitic fission

eg. Cl2 --UV--> 2Cl·

STEP 2: Propagation --> The reaction of a Free Radical with a molecule to produce another free radical. [2 Steps]

eg. Cl· + H-CH3 ------> HCl + ·CH3
·CH3 + Cl-Cl ------> CH3Cl + Cl·

STEP 3: Termination --> Combination of 2 Free Radicals to produce a single molecule.

eg. Cl· + Cl· ------> Cl2
·CH3 + ·CH3 ------> CH3CH3
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Has anyone done the isa based on the unit 2 content. done the practical already - based on test tube observations - but wanted some help for what to look into for the written paper.
Reply 197
the written paper is pretty hard and im sure the exam is on the 24th may 2012?
Reply 198
Anyone link me January 2012 paper for chem2+MS Cheers
Original post by W4L1Y
the written paper is pretty hard and im sure the exam is on the 24th may 2012?

Nope, its most definitely the 23rd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending