The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

does anyone else find unit 1 harder than unit 2 :s-smilie:
Original post by erniiee
I really hope so :frown: doubt it, but I'm aiming for 85 raw marks, should put me in good stead for 125 UMS (my ideal score :biggrin:)

Have you done the Jan 12?

I really hope they lower the raw to ums again like they did for Chem1 (it seems they also did for chem2 in Jan)!

& Nah I havent, I havent started any past papers for chemistry yet. Going to start them once we finish the spec :smile:
Reply 502
Original post by Mocking_bird
I really hope they lower the raw to ums again like they did for Chem1 (it seems they also did for chem2 in Jan)!

& Nah I havent, I havent started any past papers for chemistry yet. Going to start them once we finish the spec :smile:

Yea I hope so too! 70 for an A please :sexface: gives a better chance of 100% UMS too :wink:

Ah okay :smile: we finished the spec last week, have taken far too long and 14,15, and 16 have been taught exceptionally badly (by a trainee teacher :facepalm:) GOD help me. Its doable though! CAM AN!

/motivational rant
Original post by erniiee
Yea I hope so too! 70 for an A please :sexface: gives a better chance of 100% UMS too :wink:

Ah okay :smile: we finished the spec last week, have taken far too long and 14,15, and 16 have been taught exceptionally badly (by a trainee teacher :facepalm:) GOD help me. Its doable though! CAM AN!

/motivational rant

Ah I know the feeling! A few topics for Biology was taught by a trainee teacher for us and nothing from it went in :facepalm: I've gone over the booklet about 3 times and still not everything is sticking.
Reply 504

I think CHEM2 Jan '12 was a pretty hard in terms of time, quite a few people in the school didn't manage to finish the paper :s-smilie:

CHEM1 was just a different exam :lol:
Original post by erniiee
Ah we're so unlucky :frown: :tongue: aha, I'll get at if ya if I do :wink: ah I'm working on Chapter 11 (halogens) atm, gonna finish that today. Yea, biggest, and scariest chapters, gonna work so hard on them in my week *sigh* of study leave. Yea neither, but no point starting till I know all (or most) of the content, and can do the questions :L

Oh god, really don't wanna know how I did in the Jan 12 :frown:

I know :frown: Well done on your mock result (sorry for the late reply, I've been so busy with work, and realising how little time we have left...) Ah, you seem to be at a similar place to me then, as I've just done extraction of metals, but I realise how behind I am on other subjects. Hopefully by the end of this week (well including the bank holiday in the week :tongue: ) I should be all revised for most my subjects. And so I can start past papers :biggrin:

I think it's just a waste of the past paper if you do it without knowing what you're doing...

I still haven't got my chemistry back...it's always the chemistry teachers that are the slowest at marking :redface: I can imagine that I just lost marks everywhere, but not necessarily concentrated in one section.

Original post by MrRyan
yeah i'm doing chem 2. Bit of advice that should make it really easy for you to distinguish between what you need to know from a mass spec graph.

Firstly, don't let all the troughs worry you and think it through logically. The four main troughs you need to look for are:

- c=c bond at wavenumber 1620-1680, the absorption is weak and therefore a small spike will be seen. This will signal a molecule with a c=c double bond such as an alkene.

- c=o bond at wavenumber 1680 - 1750, the absorption is strong and therefore a long spike reaching near the bottom of the graph will be seen. This will signal a molecule with a c=o bond and is usually a ketone, e.g butanone.

- O-H bond (alcohols) at wavenumber 3230-3550, the absorption is strong and broad so a significant trough can be seen. This signals any alcohol.

- O-H bond (acids) at wavenumber 2500-3000, the absorption is even stronger so an even bigger and wider trough is seen. This signals any acid!

Another thing to not look for but be aware of is the absorption which is always present at wavenumber 2850-3300. This shows the c-h bond, which is obviously in as it is in all organic molecules. However if you're unsure whether the O-H bond trough is in alcohols or acid, take into mind whether you can see the C-H bond absorption. When it is an O-H bond in alcohols you will see the strong absorption and just to the right is the absorption for the C-H bond. When it is an O-H bond in acids, the absorption is wider and basically covers the C-H bond absorption. That's how to distinguish if you're unsure.

Also dont get TOO bothered about the wavenumbers and where the troughs are, there's a data sheet for that, as long as you have it clear about how to distinguish with the sizes of the troughs and what they mean then it is pretty simple. Ignore any insignificant, small jitters in the graphs too.

And it's all troughs because the y axis is for "transmittance" so when there is absorption, there's less transmittance.

I hope this helped, if you have any questions just reply and i'll answer them as much as i can. It sounds like you've been taught a bit vaguely. I've missed fingerprinting out cause I think thats pretty simple but if you need help with that just ask. Hope i helped.

Thanks a lot! So is it important to not just look at the wave number but also the transmittance? As I think in the mock I just looked at the wave numbers and found it quite confusing. Is there much else that we need for this section?

Original post by Doctor.
Yeah it was the real exam and I was extra nervous lol

I had to ask for extra paper every 10/15 mins, so it wasn't too bad besides they were for all different questions :tongue: I don't think they're 'allowed' to give more than one sheet per time you ask for extra paper in the real exam :s-smilie:

Ah :/ I'm always the one that overwrites...it just makes me feel better that my revision actually did something, so if it's a knowledge based question (mainly in biology), I'd go made on the "explain how x occurs" questions :tongue: Ah, the invigilators at our school give out 1 sheet each time as well, but one got annoyed at the RE GCSE exam, so just gave me 3/4 sheets the third time I asked :redface:

How's your revision going?
my god damn fourth time taking this paper.
got B's the last 3 times -_-
Reply 507
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I know :frown: Well done on your mock result (sorry for the late reply, I've been so busy with work, and realising how little time we have left...) Ah, you seem to be at a similar place to me then, as I've just done extraction of metals, but I realise how behind I am on other subjects. Hopefully by the end of this week (well including the bank holiday in the week :tongue: ) I should be all revised for most my subjects. And so I can start past papers :biggrin:

I think it's just a waste of the past paper if you do it without knowing what you're doing...

I still haven't got my chemistry back...it's always the chemistry teachers that are the slowest at marking :redface: I can imagine that I just lost marks everywhere, but not necessarily concentrated in one section.

Thanks a lot! So is it important to not just look at the wave number but also the transmittance? As I think in the mock I just looked at the wave numbers and found it quite confusing. Is there much else that we need for this section?

Ah :/ I'm always the one that overwrites...it just makes me feel better that my revision actually did something, so if it's a knowledge based question (mainly in biology), I'd go made on the "explain how x occurs" questions :tongue: Ah, the invigilators at our school give out 1 sheet each time as well, but one got annoyed at the RE GCSE exam, so just gave me 3/4 sheets the third time I asked :redface:

How's your revision going?

Lol thats pretty funny :tongue:

revision just not fun anymore, its just consisting of going through content, past papers etc lol Just wanna do thrm nowww :tongue: I wont be saying that when the exam is in a week lol
Reply 508
Ah I know the feeling! A few topics for Biology was taught by a trainee teacher for us and nothing from it went in :facepalm: I've gone over the booklet about 3 times and still not everything is sticking.

its horrible :frown: I wish they'd appreciate how important the work actually was and at least give us a qualified teacher ¬_¬
Original post by MedicalMayhem

Thankyou :smile: good to see where same ish in terms of progress...totally agree about past papers :cool:.

Yea that was the case for me - so many silly errors :angry:
Reply 509
Topic of posts time line:
- ISA
- Mocks
- *worried about exam so close*
- last night panic
- How the exam went
- unoffical markscheme

is this how it always goes down?
Original post by 3.14Pie
- ISA
- Mocks
- try to quash worry by doing Q&A with other TSR users
- last night panic
- How the exam went
- unoffical markscheme

Pretty much. :smile:
Reply 511
Conditions for all of the different mechanisms is killing me.
Reply 512
Original post by Folks
Conditions for all of the different mechanisms is killing me.

Conditions are probably the hardest part (as they are often so random!)

Guess it's just a case of learning them :rolleyes: lol, you'll be fine!
Original post by AishaTara
does anyone else find unit 1 harder than unit 2 :s-smilie:

No. lol
If anyone can be bothered, can you write up a list of all the conditions for mechanisms?
Just want to make sure i've got all the right things

Also, we should start Q&A soon :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
If anyone can be bothered, can you write up a list of all the conditions for mechanisms?

ah good idea! perhaps you could post yours up and then others will correct you if thats easier?
Reply 516
Here are some notes on mechanisms:
(All from alevelchemistry website)
Reply 517

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA%20Chemistry/AQA%20AS%20Chemistry/Unit%202/Unit%202%20Past%20Papers%20and%20Revision%20Aids/Unit%202%20Practice%20Papers%20and%20Revision%20Aids%20home.htm

Bottom attatchment
Reply 519
Original post by 3.14Pie
- ISA
- Mocks
- last night panic
- How the exam went
- unoffical markscheme

you forgot discussion of grade boundaries the day they're released