AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Mocking_bird
PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! :smile:

No problem :wink:
Original post by Doctor.
Lol thats pretty funny :tongue:

revision just not fun anymore, its just consisting of going through content, past papers etc lol Just wanna do thrm nowww :tongue: I wont be saying that when the exam is in a week lol

Revision was never fun in the first place?! :tongue: Sigh, it feels like there are so many more mechanisms and content based things that I still need to learn :frown: I'm worried as my first exam is in ~2 weeks now! :s-smilie: I'm no way ready :s-smilie:

Original post by erniiee
its horrible :frown: I wish they'd appreciate how important the work actually was and at least give us a qualified teacher ¬_¬

Thankyou :smile: good to see where same ish in terms of progress...totally agree about past papers :cool:.

Yea that was the case for me - so many silly errors :angry:

I'm sure we'll be able to finish the course, hoping to finish the course this weekend as we'll have the bank holiday weekend which is always good :biggrin: Hopefully past papers starting tuesday then :smile:

I got "Part 1" of my mock back, which were Q1-5 (or 6) as the mock was split into 2 sessions. And got 46/51 which is good :biggrin: But I'm dreading Part 2, as I know I lost loads of marks there :redface:

Hmm...do you two/anyone else have definitions for enthalpy change of formation/enthalpy change of combustion or Le Chateliers principle? I just want a crisp definition as I ended up getting 1/3 for enthalpy of combustion :redface:
Reply 522
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Revision was never fun in the first place?! :tongue: Sigh, it feels like there are so many more mechanisms and content based things that I still need to learn :frown: I'm worried as my first exam is in ~2 weeks now! :s-smilie: I'm no way ready :s-smilie:

I'm sure we'll be able to finish the course, hoping to finish the course this weekend as we'll have the bank holiday weekend which is always good :biggrin: Hopefully past papers starting tuesday then :smile:

I got "Part 1" of my mock back, which were Q1-5 (or 6) as the mock was split into 2 sessions. And got 46/51 which is good :biggrin: But I'm dreading Part 2, as I know I lost loads of marks there :redface:

Hmm...do you two/anyone else have definitions for enthalpy change of formation/enthalpy change of combustion or Le Chateliers principle? I just want a crisp definition as I ended up getting 1/3 for enthalpy of combustion :redface:

enthalpy change of formation: the enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from it's constituent elements. Under standard conditions and in their standard states? pretty sure that's 3 marks?
Original post by RosieH7
enthalpy change of formation: the enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from it's constituent elements. Under standard conditions and in their standard states? pretty sure that's 3 marks?

Do you need the standard conditions bit? As I thought it was just enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from its elements in their standard states? :redface: I know they're similar, but wasn't sure if I would get 2 or 3 for that...
MedicalMayhem

The standard molar enthalpy of combustion is the total enthalpy change when one mole of substance is completely burned in oxygen under standard conditions, all reactants and product in their standard states.

You can tweak that definition to get the definition for formation.

Le Chatelier's principle states that if a system in equilibrium is disturbed, the equilibrium moves in the direction that tends to reduce the disturbance.

You can tweak that slightly and use words like oppose and so on.
Do you need the standard conditions bit? As I thought it was just enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from its elements in their standard states? :redface: I know they're similar, but wasn't sure if I would get 2 or 3 for that...

Indeed, you do need to mention standard conditions to get the 3rd mark.
Original post by Tullia
The standard molar enthalpy of combustion is the total enthalpy change when one mole of substance is completely burned in oxygen under standard conditions, all reactants and product in their standard states.

You can tweak that definition to get the definition for formation.

Le Chatelier's principle states that if a system in equilibrium is disturbed, the equilibrium moves in the direction that tends to reduce the disturbance.

You can tweak that slightly and use words like oppose and so on.

Original post by Tullia
Indeed, you do need to mention standard conditions to get the 3rd mark.

Thanks a lot :smile: So Enthalpy of formation is the enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states under standard conditions? - Doesn't saying the standard states bit get the mark for standard conditions? As standard state is achieved by standard conditions? :redface:

I know theyve already been said but heres mine too :smile:

Enthalpy of combustion:
The enthalpy change when 1 mol of a substance is burned completely in oxygen under standard conditions and all substances in their standard state.

Enthalpy of formation:
The enthalpy change when 1 mol of a compound is formed from its elements under standard conditions and all substances in their standard state.

Le Chatelier:
A system at equillibrium will react to oppose any change made upon it.
Thanks a lot :smile: So Enthalpy of formation is the enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states under standard conditions? - Doesn't saying the standard states bit get the mark for standard conditions? As standard state is achieved by standard conditions? :redface:

I'll be honest in saying that I've not yet munched mark schemes for CHEM2 and so you may well be correct, but I'm assuming that you need all the points I gave to get 3 marks because that is what my teacher has told me to learn.

If it was a 2 mark question, I don't think it would be necessary to mention the standard conditions.
Reply 529
I went through each paper and found the 'definition' questions and the MARK SCHEME answers.

1. State what is meant by the term activation energy. (2)

- The activation energy is the minimum/least/lowest;
- Energy for a reaction to occur/to go/to start OR
- Energy for a successful/effective collision

2. State what is meant by the term rate of reaction. (1)

- (Measured) change in concentration (of a substance) in unit time/given time

3. State what is meant by the term standard enthalpy of formation. (3)

- M1 The Enthalpy change/heat change at constant pressure when 1 mol of a compound/substance/product
- M2 is formed from its (constituent) elements
- M3 with all reactants and products/all substances in standard states

4. State what is meant by the term catalyst. (1)

- A substance that speeds up/alters the rate but is unchanged at the end/not used up.

5. State what is meant by the term carbon neutral. (1)

- An activity which has no net/overall (annual) carbon/greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere OR
- There is no change to the total amount of carbon dioxide/carbon/greenhouse gas present in the atmosphere.

6. State the meaning of the term hydrolysis. (1)

- Splitting/breaking the C-X/bond(s) using/by (adding)/with water OR
- Splitting/breaking the molecule/substance/compound using/by (adding)/with water.

7. State the meaning of the term nucleophile. (1)

- An electron pair donor OR
- Forms a covalent or co-ordinate or dative bond by donating a pair of electrons

8. State the meaning of the term molecular ion. (1)

The molecular ion is:
- The molecule with one/an electron knocked off/lost OR
- The molecule with a (single) positive charge OR
- the ion with/it has the largest/highest/biggest m/z (value/ratio) OR
- the ion with/it has an m/z equal to the Mr

9. State the meaning of the term enthalpy change. (1)

- Heat (energy) change at constant pressure

10. State Hess's Law. (1)

- The enthalpy change/heat (energy) change (at constant pressure) in a reaction is independent of the route/path taken (and depends only on the initial and final states)

11. State what is meant by the term unsaturated as applied to an alkene. (1)

- Contains a C=C OR a double bond

12. State what is meant by the term stereoisomers. (2)

- M1 Compounds with the same structural formula
- M2 with atoms/bonds/groups arranged differently in space OR
- atoms/bonds/groups have different spatial arrangements/different orientation.

13. State Le Chatelier’s principle. (1)

- (If any factor is changed which affects an equilibrium), the position of equilibrium
will shift/move/change/respond/act so as to oppose the change. OR
- (When a system/reaction in equilibrium is disturbed), the equilibrium shifts/moves in a direction which tends to reduce the disturbance

14. Give the meaning of the term standard enthalpy of combustion. (3)

- M1 The enthalpy change (or heat change at constant pressure) when 1 mol of a compound/substance /alcohol
- M2 is burned completly/in excess of oxygen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I am missing a few but I'll add them on as i find them or feel free to add definitions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 530
Original post by Sorro10
I went through each paper and found the 'definition' questions and the MARK SCHEME answers.

1. State what is meant by the term activation energy. (2)

- The activation energy is the minimum/least/lowest;
- Energy for a reaction to occur/to go/to start OR
- Energy for a successful/effective collision

2. State what is meant by the term rate of reaction. (1)

- (Measured) change in concentration (of a substance) in unit time/given time

3. State what is meant by the term standard enthalpy of formation. (3)

- M1 The Enthalpy change/heat change at constant pressure when 1 mol of a compound/substance/product
- M2 is formed from its (constituent) elements

4. State what is meant by the term catalyst. (1)

- A substance that speeds up/alters the rate but is unchanged at the end/not used up.

5. State what is meant by the term carbon neutral. (1)

- An activity which has no net/overall (annual) carbon/greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere OR
- There is no change to the total amount of carbon dioxide/carbon/greenhouse gas present in the atmosphere.

6. State the meaning of the term hydrolysis. (1)

- Splitting/breaking the C-X/bond(s) using/by (adding)/with water OR
- Splitting/breaking the molecule/substance/compound using/by (adding)/with water.

7. State the meaning of the term nucleophile. (1)

- An electron pair donor OR
- Forms a covalent or co-ordinate or dative bond by donating a pair of electrons

8. State the meaning of the term molecular ion. (1)

The molecular ion is:
- The molecule with one/an electron knocked off/lost OR
- The molecule with a (single) positive charge OR
- the ion with/it has the largest/highest/biggest m/z (value/ratio) OR
- the ion with/it has an m/z equal to the Mr

9. State the meaning of the term enthalpy change. (1)

- Heat (energy) change at constant pressure

10. State Hess's Law. (1)

- The enthalpy change/heat (energy) change (at constant pressure) in a reaction is independent of the route/path taken (and depends only on the initial and final states)

11. State what is meant by the term unsaturated as applied to an alkene. (1)

- Contains a C=C OR a double bond

12. State what is meant by the term stereoisomers. (2)

- M1 Compounds with the same structural formula
- M2 with atoms/bonds/groups arranged differently in space OR
- atoms/bonds/groups have different spatial arrangements/different orientation.

13. State Le Chatelier’s principle. (1)

- (If any factor is changed which affects an equilibrium), the position of equilibrium
will shift/move/change/respond/act so as to oppose the change. OR
- (When a system/reaction in equilibrium is disturbed), the equilibrium shifts/moves in a direction which tends to reduce the disturbance

14. Give the meaning of the term standard enthalpy of combustion. (3)

- M1 The enthalpy change (or heat change at constant pressure) when 1 mol of a compound/substance /alcohol
- M2 is burned completly/in excess of oxygen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I am missing a few but I'll add them on as i find them or feel free to add definitions.

THANKS!
Reply 531
Does anyone know the equations you need to know for the reactions of the Group 7 elements with Sulphuric acid and water???
Original post by Kuroi
Does anyone know the equations you need to know for the reactions of the Group 7 elements with Sulphuric acid and water???

Reactions with H2SO4:

NaCl(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HCl(g)

NaBr(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HBr(g)

NaI(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HI(g)

Reaction with H2O:

Cl2(g) + H2O(l) <--> HClO(aq) + HCl(aq)

In the presence of sunlight, this reaction occurs:

2Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l) --> 4HCl(aq) + O2(g)

Obviously, you can work out what would occur should you react the others with water and in the presence of sunlight.

It's useful to know this reaction with alkali as well:

Cl2(g) + 2NaOH(aq) --> NaClO(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l)
Reply 533
Original post by Tullia
Reactions with H2SO4:

NaCl(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HCl(g)

NaBr(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HBr(g)

NaI(s) + H2SO4(l) --> NaHSO4(s) + HI(g)

Reaction with H2O:

Cl2(g) + H2O(l) <--> HClO(aq) + HCl(aq)

In the presence of sunlight, this reaction occurs:

2Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l) --> 4HCl(aq) + O2(g)

Obviously, you can work out what would occur should you react the others with water and in the presence of sunlight.

It's useful to know this reaction with alkali as well:

Cl2(g) + 2NaOH(aq) --> NaClO(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l)

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 534
Original post by Hdizzle
you forgot discussion of grade boundaries the day they're released
pre results panic
post result congrats/condolences

:party:

So true, then come the abandoment of this thread and the starting of the " CHEM4 AQA CHEMISTRY" thread :')
Reply 535
I know :frown: Well done on your mock result (sorry for the late reply, I've been so busy with work, and realising how little time we have left...) Ah, you seem to be at a similar place to me then, as I've just done extraction of metals, but I realise how behind I am on other subjects. Hopefully by the end of this week (well including the bank holiday in the week :tongue: ) I should be all revised for most my subjects. And so I can start past papers :biggrin:

I think it's just a waste of the past paper if you do it without knowing what you're doing...

I still haven't got my chemistry back...it's always the chemistry teachers that are the slowest at marking :redface: I can imagine that I just lost marks everywhere, but not necessarily concentrated in one section.

Thanks a lot! So is it important to not just look at the wave number but also the transmittance? As I think in the mock I just looked at the wave numbers and found it quite confusing. Is there much else that we need for this section?

Ah :/ I'm always the one that overwrites...it just makes me feel better that my revision actually did something, so if it's a knowledge based question (mainly in biology), I'd go made on the "explain how x occurs" questions :tongue: Ah, the invigilators at our school give out 1 sheet each time as well, but one got annoyed at the RE GCSE exam, so just gave me 3/4 sheets the third time I asked :redface:

How's your revision going?

Just the fingerprinting questions which are easy as you just have to compare one fingerprint region to another and choose which it is.
Reply 536
Could anybody or has anybody made a summary sheet of all the equations and observations needed for Chem 2?
Reply 537
Hi I have a question. In unit 1 there is normally a question which is "name the element with these successive ionisation energys".. Does anybody know an easy way to learn them because i always think they are so random lol :L Thanks everyone and good luck!!
Original post by alex7892
Hi I have a question. In unit 1 there is normally a question which is "name the element with these successive ionisation energys".. Does anybody know an easy way to learn them because i always think they are so random lol :L Thanks everyone and good luck!!

Sure - look for the biggest jump in successive IEs - the group number is the same as the last no IE before the gap eg for Aluminium (Gp 3) there is a huge gap between IE3 and IE4. This big jump shows the next electron to be lost is in an inner shell.

If they are unkind and do not tell you which period it is in then often you can know just by the number of successive IEs.
eg say you know it's period 2 or 3, but not which, and they list say six successive IEs and there's a big jump between IE1 and IE2 - it must be in Group 1, and must be Na not Li as Li only has 3 electrons so couldn't have ten successive IEs.
Reply 539
Original post by clownfish
Sure - look for the biggest jump in successive IEs - the group number is the same as the last no IE before the gap eg for Aluminium (Gp 3) there is a huge gap between IE3 and IE4. This big jump shows the next electron to be lost is in an inner shell.

If they are unkind and do not tell you which period it is in then often you can know just by the number of successive IEs.
eg say you know it's period 2 or 3, but not which, and they list say six successive IEs and there's a big jump between IE1 and IE2 - it must be in Group 1, and must be Na not Li as Li only has 3 electrons so couldn't have ten successive IEs.

Brillaint that does help alot but what if the question is like:
An element X in period 3 of the periodic table has the following succesive energies

first 577kjmol^-1
second 1820kjmol^-1
third 2740kjmol^-1
fourth 11600kjmol^-1

Deduce them identity of element x.
Would there be a way to know this or would you just have to know the group 3 first ionisation energy? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending