The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tullia
Thanks. I have my own room during exams and the environment in which I sat the past papers in question was completely different. The quiet area of the library was being used for something to do with media and film studies, and so I had to sit in the group area and I was stuck sat next to a girl who was far from quiet.

I checked the grade boundaries for the papers I sat [although incomplete] and I would have received 132 and 121 UMS, respectively. Hopefully, I'll be able to push for full UMS.

What did you get in Unit 1, and how did your ISA(s) go?

I wish I had my own room :frown: Like I said to you once before, any noise puts me off :laugh: Chairs creaking, paper rustling.. eek!
Original post by cuckoo99
my unit 1 went badly, though i was going through alot of personal problems at the time :/ got a D 55 ums:/ retaking though next week as i know i can easily get a B/A as i constantly get B's and A's in my mocks lol. my ISA didnt go to well either :/ 32/50, teacher predicts it to be a D. will be retaking that next year though. im guessing yours went all ok though ?:smile:

Sorry to hear about your personal problems. It seems like it has only made you more determined to get better results this time around though, and with those problems hopefully out of the way you'll be able to do just that.

Indeed, I did rather well. I got 100 UMS on Unit 1, and I've still not got my mark back for my 2nd ISA but my teacher has marked it provisionally [without the MS] and says it is definitely 48/50 but he will have to check the MS to see whether it will be 48 or possibly 49 or 50.

In fact, I should get the result back first thing tomorrow as I've got him and he has had the weekend to mark them all.
Original post by Tullia
Sorry to hear about your personal problems. It seems like it has only made you more determined to get better results this time around though, and with those problems hopefully out of the way you'll be able to do just that.

Indeed, I did rather well. I got 100 UMS on Unit 1, and I've still not got my mark back for my 2nd ISA but my teacher has marked it provisionally [without the MS] and says it is definitely 48/50 but he will have to check the MS to see whether it will be 48 or possibly 49 or 50.

In fact, I should get the result back first thing tomorrow as I've got him and he has had the weekend to mark them all.

thanks :smile: Nice mark :O im hoping for atleast 85ums this time round and hoping for 120 ums in unit2. its so unfair how my teacher has said we can only do 1 ISA :/ though it might be due to the fact that it was a titration? a titration which was actuly quite hard :O:O
Original post by Mocking_bird
I wish I had my own room :frown: Like I said to you once before, any noise puts me off :laugh: Chairs creaking, paper rustling.. eek!

sameee lol i get distracted by my friend and gf somtimes lol
Original post by Mocking_bird

I'm surprised that I haven't already told you, but I do get my own room as well being able to listen to music without lyrics throughout the exam. I'll be having extra time as well for my A2 exams.

A lot of people would tell you that I don't need the extra time, but it's what I'm allowed according to the system and so I'm going to take it next year.

No one would dispute the isolation and music I'm allowed though, as I'm easily distracted unless I'm actually interested in something that can demand my focus and concentration and the music acts as a constant distraction which actually helps focus me on task.

I feel your pain though. :laugh:
(edited 11 years ago)
thanks :smile: Nice mark :O im hoping for atleast 85ums this time round and hoping for 120 ums in unit2. its so unfair how my teacher has said we can only do 1 ISA :/ though it might be due to the fact that it was a titration? a titration which was actuly quite hard :O:O

Thanks. :smile:

Hopefully you will get an A overall, as you would likely get if you achieved those UMS scores alongside your ISA score (I say likely, as the ISA score is still to be moderated and if below the average it will be unfairly dragged down).

At my College you were allowed to do the 2nd ISA if you wished to do so to improve your mark from the 1st ISA, but it was made known due to the lack of content we'd covered from Unit 2 that we would have to sacrifice say a lunch or something to get the practical done. Obviously worthwhile when you consider what an improvement can do in terms of overall grade.

I've potentially done better on the 2nd ISA than I did on the 1st, but a lot of my class actually did worse on the 2nd ISA than they did on the 1st.
Original post by Tullia
Thanks. :smile:

Hopefully you will get an A overall, as you would likely get if you achieved those UMS scores alongside your ISA score (I say likely, as the ISA score is still to be moderated and if below the average it will be unfairly dragged down).

At my College you were allowed to do the 2nd ISA if you wished to do so to improve your mark from the 1st ISA, but it was made known due to the lack of content we'd covered from Unit 2 that we would have to sacrifice say a lunch or something to get the practical done. Obviously worthwhile when you consider what an improvement can do in terms of overall grade.

I've potentially done better on the 2nd ISA than I did on the 1st, but a lot of my class actually did worse on the 2nd ISA than they did on the 1st.

ye i hope i can get an A :smile: was your isa a titration aswell ?
ye i hope i can get an A :smile: was your isa a titration aswell ?

:crossedf:

The 1st ISA I did was a titration, but the 2nd ISA was concerning test tube observations.
Original post by Tullia
:crossedf:

The 1st ISA I did was a titration, but the 2nd ISA was concerning test tube observations.

man my teacher said we could only do 1 :/ so unfair.:mad:

Did you fall back on the titration practical? If so, then I would say that you would've no doubt done better on the 2nd ISA practical as I've had it described to me "bucket chemistry".
Original post by Tullia
Did you fall back on the titration practical? If so, then I would say that you would've no doubt done better on the 2nd ISA practical as I've had it described to me "bucket chemistry".

ye:/ the titration was hard:/ the whole colour change reverting back to clear thing was soo annoying
Reply 631
I'm getting confused between Structural formulae and displayed, displayed is where you draw EVERYTHING out eg, All the bonds and everything, and Displayed is like:

CH3CH2CH2CHO

Is that right?
Original post by Sorro10
I'm getting confused between Structural formulae and displayed, displayed is where you draw EVERYTHING out eg, All the bonds and everything, and Displayed is like:

CH3CH2CH2CHO

Is that right?

the structural formula is e.g CH3CH2OH. while the displayed formula does indeed show all the bonds and atoms
Reply 633
the structural formula is e.g CH3CH2OH. while the displayed formula does indeed show all the bonds and atoms

Thanks, was sure it was that but just needed confirmation ;d
Reply 634
15 days left! :P
Plenty of time :wink:
indeed
Reply 637
Anyone know if the bullet point sheets exist for Chemistry?
Reply 638
That equation isnt balanced? or is it a typo? Going on the information provided here is what you do....
but what you would do is find the oxidation state of cl in NaClO3 which would be +5 because oxygen has the oxidation state -2(with some exceptions) and Na has oxidation stae +1 always. charges have to cancel each other out to make the molecule neautral so Cl must have an oxidation state of +5 which means Cl must of been oxidised in this reaction as it as lost 5 electrons.

using this principle of finding oxidation states you should be able to do the other half though i do believe the question you provided is a little incorrect
Edit: That Equation is incorrect i'm sure you will find

I think the book wanted me to balance it first, if you have the Nelson Thorne book it's in there. But thank you!

We had to do the EMPA instead :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending