The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sorro10
Nha I thought I lost around 5 marks min, but turned out I lost 0 marks, 70/70.

Well done. :smile:
I find this unit so much more difficult than CHEM1 :frown:
Just scared myself by looking at a past paper and hardly understanding any of it. I think revision is in order.
Reply 82
Original post by berryripple
I find this unit so much more difficult than CHEM1 :frown:
Just scared myself by looking at a past paper and hardly understanding any of it. I think revision is in order.

Just hit the revision it will do wonders, it's not too bad a unit when you go at it one chapter at a time :smile:. Just take it slowly and do some questions and you'll be fine!
Reply 83
Original post by Doctor.
Ohh you've done all the boring bits, Redox -Easy marks and MEGA important!

You'll like the next few chapters :tongue:. They're not hard, just really...understanding. The sections you've done currently, learn them religiously, it'll be worth it in June! :smile:

meh not a great fan of organic tbh ;p
Reply 84
Original post by 3.14Pie
I came across a few questions with just formulas being said and not shown e.g nitric acid rather than HNO3 will we be expected to know these?

They are the basic acids, so yeah you got to know them, I think it was GCSE -So you'll have to know. Really depends on exam bored! :s-smilie:
Original post by 3.14Pie
I came across a few questions with just formulas being said and not shown e.g nitric acid rather than HNO3 will we be expected to know these?

My Chemistry teacher expects me to know all of the formulae within reason, so I would expect so. If they don't give it to you, then you're expected to know it.
I sat this exam in January and got a C, I'm taking it again in the hopes of getting an A *fingers crossed*
Reply 87
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I sat this exam in January and got a C, I'm taking it again in the hopes of getting an A *fingers crossed*

how did you find the exam? and sorry to hear ya didnt nail it in 1 :/
Reply 88
Original post by Tullia
My Chemistry teacher expects me to know all of the formulae within reason, so I would expect so. If they don't give it to you, then you're expected to know it.

same here
H2SO4- sulfuric acid
HCL- hydrochloric acid
HNO3- Nitric acid
HF- hydrofloric acid
and many more
I'm not enjoying Halogens...
I guess with practice it will be easier to answer the questions but so far i'm struggling :laugh:

But the other stuff is easy peasy so far :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
I'm not enjoying Halogens...
I guess with practice it will be easier to answer the questions but so far i'm struggling :laugh:

But the other stuff is easy peasy so far :smile:

Which bit of Halogens are you struggling to come to terms with?
Original post by Tullia
Which bit of Halogens are you struggling to come to terms with?

Just the different sets of reactions like halide ions and sulphuric acid or test for halide ions and the different equations/ppts/colour changes.

It will just take some revision but as of now its just not sticking.
Reply 92
Original post by 3.14Pie
do you have a list ? it'd be super helpful, I just came across an exam qu in the redox chapter where it expected you to know the formula for soduim thiosulphate, honestly have no clue :frown:

really? how old whas that exam paper/question? because i dnt think u need to know the formula for sodium thiosulphate.... they should give it to you.
i think u only need to know these:
H2SO4- sulfuric acid
HCL- hydrochloric acid
HNO3- Nitric acid
HF- hydrofloric acid
NH3-Ammonia
NH4+ -Ammonium
SO42- - Sulphate ion
NO3- - Nitrate ion
CO3- Carbonate
obviously i could go on for donkeys years, basicaly you can find out all of these just by thinking in terms of oxidation states
Reply 93
Original post by Mocking_bird
Just the different sets of reactions like halide ions and sulphuric acid or test for halide ions and the different equations/ppts/colour changes.

It will just take some revision but as of now its just not sticking.

ur having problems the displacement reactions?
Reply 94
Original post by cuckoo99
really? how old whas that exam paper/question? because i dnt think u need to know the formula for sodium thiosulphate.... they should give it to you.
H2SO4- sulfuric acid
HCL- hydrochloric acid
HNO3- Nitric acid
HF- hydrofloric acid
NH3-Ammonia
NH4+ -Ammonium
SO42- - Sulphate ion
NO3- - Nitrate ion
CO3- Carbonate
obviously i could go on for donkeys years, basicaly you can find out all of these just by thinking in terms of oxidation states

Thanks!
Reply 95
H2SO4- sulfuric acid
HCL- hydrochloric acid
HNO3- Nitric acid
HF- hydrofloric acid
NH3-Ammonia
NH4+ -Ammonium
SO42- - Sulphate ion
NO3- - Nitrate ion
CO3- Carbonate

Also, I think it may have been 2002
Reply 96
very outdated then , dont worry about sodium thiosulphate :wink:
how did you find the exam? and sorry to hear ya didnt nail it in 1 :/

The annoying thing is, I found the exam really easy, I must have just made to many silly mistakes, I'm going to put it down to over confidence, meaning I skimmed the questions instead of reading them through properly.
I think the May exam is going to be harder :frown:
Reply 98
Original post by Picture~Perfect
The annoying thing is, I found the exam really easy, I must have just made to many silly mistakes, I'm going to put it down to over confidence, meaning I skimmed the questions instead of reading them through properly.
I think the May exam is going to be harder :frown:

ah exactly same thing that happened to me in the unit 1:/ got a D :/ soo many silly mistakes and not reading the questions properly because like you i was over confident :/ im sure ur unit 4 retake will go fine :smile: just practise exam technique like im going to :biggrin:
Original post by 3.14Pie
I hope this gets easier when I revise, seems so hard compared to unit 1. does anyone find energetics hard? my teacher went over it very briefly and moved on like in 1-2 lessons when we did it last week

Energetics is just alot of memorisation really for the definitions/equations.

If you need any help feel free to ask here, i (and im sure many others) would be happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending