The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Getting close :afraid:
I've got a question about energetics and wondered if someone could clarify something. For a calorimetry experiment, the displacement ones, what is the value of m?

So say you have 5g of x added to 50cm^3 of y. Would m be 50, or 55?
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I've got a question about energetics and wondered if someone could clarify something. For a calorimetry experiment, the displacement ones, what is the value of m?

So say you have 5g of x added to 50cm^3 of y. Would m be 50, or 55?

m is 50. It is the mass of the water, not the mass of the reactant.
Reply 163
pretty confident for this exam for some reason:s-smilie:
Original post by clownfish
m is 50. It is the mass of the water, not the mass of the reactant.

Thanks a lot!

I've got another question, which I'm not sure whether you could help with :/ When you have reactions of group 2 metals in water, why do some form hydroxides whereas some form oxides? What's the reasoning behind that? :redface:
Thanks a lot!

I've got another question, which I'm not sure whether you could help with :/ When you have reactions of group 2 metals in water, why do some form hydroxides whereas some form oxides? What's the reasoning behind that? :redface:

It's to do with reactivity of the metal and stability of the compound. Although theoretically they all form hydroxides, magnesium hydroxide is very unstable at high temperatures (the exact conditions required for magnesium to react with water), therefore it decomposes into magnesium oxide. The more reactive metals Ca, Sr, Ba all easily react with water to form soluble hydroxides.

Take a look at this link: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=group%202%20water%20reactions&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a-levelchemistry.co.uk%2FAQA%2520AS%2520Chemistry%2FUnit%25202%2F2.6%2520Group%25202%2C%2520the%2520Alkaline%2520Earth%2520Metals%2F2.6%2520notes.doc&ei=NUpvT7vsL4z68QPXobG_DQ&usg=AFQjCNETgjVZQaJuJhPtB9u9L6nDEsujjw&cad=rja
Original post by clownfish
It's to do with reactivity of the metal and stability of the compound. Although theoretically they all form hydroxides, magnesium hydroxide is very unstable at high temperatures (the exact conditions required for magnesium to react with water), therefore it decomposes into magnesium oxide. The more reactive metals Ca, Sr, Ba all easily react with water to form soluble hydroxides.

Take a look at this link: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=group%202%20water%20reactions&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.a-levelchemistry.co.uk%2FAQA%2520AS%2520Chemistry%2FUnit%25202%2F2.6%2520Group%25202%2C%2520the%2520Alkaline%2520Earth%2520Metals%2F2.6%2520notes.doc&ei=NUpvT7vsL4z68QPXobG_DQ&usg=AFQjCNETgjVZQaJuJhPtB9u9L6nDEsujjw&cad=rja

Ah okay, it doesn't say on the spec, but do you think that we are required to know that?
Ah okay, it doesn't say on the spec, but do you think that we are required to know that?

No i think you just need to know they get more reactive as you go down the group, and so the reaction is more vigorous, and to explain why this trend occurs (increase in shielding, so atomic radius increases, so outer electrons are easier to lose).
Reply 168
58 days till CHEM2:P
Reply 169
Original post by Sorro10
58 days till CHEM2:P

How many topics have you completed? We have so much still to do! :frown:
Erm today we did some stuff on solubility of halides, and learned about the different precipitates. But what's the different to say a white precipitate in a solution and a white solution? As you generally say it's a colourless solution, but would you say it changes to a white ppt? (I'm a bit confused between the two)
A white precipitate is separate from the solution.
The solution itself will not be white, but the solid formed separate from it will be white.
Original post by Silverland
A white precipitate is separate from the solution.
The solution itself will not be white, but the solid formed separate from it will be white.

So if something is white - opaque, then it's a white solution?

But cloudy with white floating things, is a white precipitate? Do you mention that it's cloudy, or is it a given? Or would you say that it's a cloudy solution with a white precipitate?
Reply 173
So if something is white - opaque, then it's a white solution?

But cloudy with white floating things, is a white precipitate? Do you mention that it's cloudy, or is it a given? Or would you say that it's a cloudy solution with a white precipitate?

You would always say it is a cloudy solution with a white precipitate for anything you are describing with 'white floating things'. Lost 20 marks in an assignment for just failing to put cloudy solution :/
Original post by Solza
You would always say it is a cloudy solution with a white precipitate for anything you are describing with 'white floating things'. Lost 20 marks in an assignment for just failing to put cloudy solution :/

Wow, 20 marks?! Hm thanks :smile:
Reply 175
Wow, 20 marks?! Hm thanks :smile:

Yea I know, very tough marking criteria and no worries :smile:
Reply 176
Original post by 3.14Pie

How many topics have you completed? We have so much still to do! :frown:

We've finished, but we got told to learn group 2 and extraction of metals at home ourselves which I've done so yea done the whole syllabus now lol.
Reply 177
NEED KINETICS HELP:

Explain why the flour dust in a flour milling factory may explode, whereas it is difficult to ignite ordinary flour in the home. (3 marks)

The question is in the Kinetics topic, I think it's got to do with Concentration of Flour in the air of the factory is greater than at home but idk where to go after that if that is right, work 3 marks..
Reply 178
Another question on Kinetics:

1) Consider the following reaction: Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) --> ZnCl2(aq) + H2(g)

Explain the effect, if any, on the rate of reaction of:

- (i) Increasing the pressure (2 marks)
- (ii) Adding water (2 marks)
- (iii) Using hydrobromic acid (HBr), on the same concentration, instead of hydrochloric acid.

For part

- (i) No effect as it is not in a gaseous state?
- (ii) Not sure
- (iii) Not sure ;p

Help pl0x
Reply 179
Original post by Sorro10
We've finished, but we got told to learn group 2 and extraction of metals at home ourselves which I've done so yea done the whole syllabus now lol.

AH I might just start doing some topics at home, how exactly do you revise, your ums was amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending