The Student Room Group
St Mary's Road Campus
University of West London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hannahchan
Thanks :smile: .. already looked at that but doesn't seem like it's happening..

I guess I'll just wait until march and if nothing then just phone..

Hope they actually give me time to put a portfolio together.. no point making it if they aren't gonna give me a conditional offer.

I'm going to wait one more week and call on Friday... :frown:

I hope they aren't as unorganised as I've been told (many times) haha!
St Mary's Road Campus
London
Reply 41
Original post by Sovrov
Hi all,

I realise you have your hearts set on West London, but I just wanted to share my experiences of the interview process with you.

I applied to do a Postgrad diploma in nursing (and have since been accepted) at the uni and was invited to an interview with other prospective nursing students. I have been to three other interviews so have been able to compare the inefficiency of the day with that of the excellent systems of the other uni's.

The day before, I phoned up to double check that parking was allowed on campus, just as the website denotes, and was told once more that it was perfectly ok to park on campus. Upon arriving I was told off for sitting in a specific chair in the lobby, then criticized by the admissions tutor for making a small talk joke about the weather. Once it was discovered that I had parked on campus, the admissions tutor said I had to move my car- which I did, to a £1 per hour car park around the corner.

They day then proceeded to drag on and on with very little happening as they "waited" for other students to arrive (we were told to arrive before 8.30 and they thought it would be considerate to wait for stragglers who arrived at 10am, which about three people did.) The group discussion was TERRIBLE; there were too many people and too little time to get it properly going. I mean no offence, but because I am a postgrad and was mixed in with undergrads, I felt the intelligence level of the debate couldn't really life off the ground from "it is very bad to withhold healthcare from people".

The presentation that the tutor gave regarding the course was totally inapplicable to my course, and when I requested to speak to someone who knew about the course, I was given 5 minutes with the woman, then ordered to "come back in now!" by the admissions tutor...I still don't understand the structure of the course, but then again I dont think they do either.

After a series of many, many breaks, we returned to the classroom for a great deal of waiting for our one to one interviews. The (by this time) extremely rude admissions tutor kept ensuring that i'd be up next, as I had to get on the m25 before rush hour and my parking would run out. When it got to 4pm (7.5hrs in attendance and only 1hr of actual interview activity), I requested that I go and put more money in the parking meter but was denied the 'privilege' of leaving.

The most frustrating part of the day was when I got back to my car at 16.32 to find a parking ticket from 16.23, and when I then checked my emails on my phone, an email from City University saying I had been accepted, also had come through at 16.23. If only it had come through 9 hours earlier, then I wouldn't have had to go through this terrible day and have a whopping great £60 fine to pay, which by the way, the University have refused to pay for- no surprises there.

Having spoken to a few others on the interview circuit, they've experienced the same kind of disorganisation, and i'm told that this extends to the teaching practices of the healthcare department.

I mainly just wanted to make people aware that UWL is a NEW university, who aren't yet fully organised, so please be prepared if you are to accept an offer from them.

Wow, that makes the uni sound pretty ****. I'm in two minds about going there after reading that. But hopefully they've changed a bit. Was that for this coming september or last year?
Reply 42
Has anyone tried contacting the uni before? I've sent two emails this week and yet to get a reply.
I just got an unconditional. I need 1 gcse and 20 ucas points for their ba business management
Reply 44
They've invited me for an interview and I can choose out of 4 dates. Did anyone else get invited?
Reply 45
Original post by JJames
They've invited me for an interview and I can choose out of 4 dates. Did anyone else get invited?

Yes same.. WOW that took a long time.

The email didn't even say which uni they were from.. what idiocy. :/...

Had to click reply and then see the address with UWL on it..

*rolls eyes*..

anyway congratulations :biggrin:.
Reply 46
Original post by hannahchan
Yes same.. WOW that took a long time.

The email didn't even say which uni they were from.. what idiocy. :/...

Had to click reply and then see the address with UWL on it..

*rolls eyes*..

anyway congratulations :biggrin:.

I know right... :|

Thank youuuu. Congratulations to you too!

What date are you going to pick? I might go for the 7th of March one.
Reply 47
Anyone applied for BSC Social Work? If so any have you recieved a reply yet?
I have also applied to UWL. It seemed like I got a reply back from them fairly quickly, after completing my UCAS application.

I was given a conditional offer and have been sent lots of emails from them since, congratulating me on the offer, which I'm still deciding whether to accept or not.

I applied to do their BA Hons Music Management course.
Reply 49
Original post by Sovrov
Hi all,

I realise you have your hearts set on West London, but I just wanted to share my experiences of the interview process with you.

I applied to do a Postgrad diploma in nursing (and have since been accepted) at the uni and was invited to an interview with other prospective nursing students. I have been to three other interviews so have been able to compare the inefficiency of the day with that of the excellent systems of the other uni's.

The day before, I phoned up to double check that parking was allowed on campus, just as the website denotes, and was told once more that it was perfectly ok to park on campus. Upon arriving I was told off for sitting in a specific chair in the lobby, then criticized by the admissions tutor for making a small talk joke about the weather. Once it was discovered that I had parked on campus, the admissions tutor said I had to move my car- which I did, to a £1 per hour car park around the corner.

They day then proceeded to drag on and on with very little happening as they "waited" for other students to arrive (we were told to arrive before 8.30 and they thought it would be considerate to wait for stragglers who arrived at 10am, which about three people did.) The group discussion was TERRIBLE; there were too many people and too little time to get it properly going. I mean no offence, but because I am a postgrad and was mixed in with undergrads, I felt the intelligence level of the debate couldn't really life off the ground from "it is very bad to withhold healthcare from people".

The presentation that the tutor gave regarding the course was totally inapplicable to my course, and when I requested to speak to someone who knew about the course, I was given 5 minutes with the woman, then ordered to "come back in now!" by the admissions tutor...I still don't understand the structure of the course, but then again I dont think they do either.

After a series of many, many breaks, we returned to the classroom for a great deal of waiting for our one to one interviews. The (by this time) extremely rude admissions tutor kept ensuring that i'd be up next, as I had to get on the m25 before rush hour and my parking would run out. When it got to 4pm (7.5hrs in attendance and only 1hr of actual interview activity), I requested that I go and put more money in the parking meter but was denied the 'privilege' of leaving.

The most frustrating part of the day was when I got back to my car at 16.32 to find a parking ticket from 16.23, and when I then checked my emails on my phone, an email from City University saying I had been accepted, also had come through at 16.23. If only it had come through 9 hours earlier, then I wouldn't have had to go through this terrible day and have a whopping great £60 fine to pay, which by the way, the University have refused to pay for- no surprises there.

Having spoken to a few others on the interview circuit, they've experienced the same kind of disorganisation, and i'm told that this extends to the teaching practices of the healthcare department.

I mainly just wanted to make people aware that UWL is a NEW university, who aren't yet fully organised, so please be prepared if you are to accept an offer from them.

Wow thats totally put me off wanting to go there! they've got my application but are yet to reply..i could remove it altogether beforehand however ive nowhere else to apply to and i want to give myself the full 5 chances of getting on the childrens nursing course :/
Reply 50
Original post by JJames
I know right... :|

Thank youuuu. Congratulations to you too!

What date are you going to pick? I might go for the 7th of March one.

Thank you!

I picked the 28th the latest date one :smile:..

Hopefully it's not as bad as sovrov said.. :s-smilie:.

good luck :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
I had my interview for the broadcast journalism degree on Wednesday, and wanted to share my experience.

Firstly, it would appear that everybody had been sent different information; some had been told that interviews start at one, but should be there half an hour earlier, others, like myself, were told the interview was at two, but nothing else. I arrived at around one, believing to be in good time, only to be informed that I was late, but it wasn't a problem.

I only caught the last part of the talk a lecturer was giving about the campus, facilities etc... but what I saw seemed good. The campus is in a really nice area, and the building itself is fantastic. The only downside at this point was the fact that the halls of residence aren't close to the uni, however, they do provide a free shuttle bus to and from halls.

After the talk, those of us who were there for broadcasting and broadcast journalism were taken into a classroom and were told a little bit about the courses, and those who were there for the journalism course had to complete a short writing assignment. We were told that interviews would be conducted alphabetically, so for those of us with surnames starting in letters towards the end of the alphabet, we assumed we'd be in for a bit of a wait :tongue:. What we didn't expect, was that we'd be still waiting to be interviewed AFTER five o'clock!
The lecturer left us alone in the classroom, whilst he went to conduct the one to one interviews. The room became really stuffy, and as the wait pushed the two hour mark, most of us were hungry, frustrated and just wanted to leave.

It was an unpleasant experience, and if it weren't for the fantastic diversity of the other applicants, I would have ended up going insane and wrote "All work and no interview makes Joe a dull boy." all over the walls. My interview went really well, I was given an offer on the spot, and the lecturer did apologise for the wait, saying that the others who were supposed to be interviewing were off ill. My friend is in his second year there and says that it's a fantastic place to study, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and put the experience down to everything going wrong last minute, but I am still in two minds as to accept the offer or not. On the one hand, if I were to go on the events of Wednesday, I probably would decline the offer. On the other hand, the facilities here are fantastic, the location is great and the lecturer seemed like he knew what he was talking about, not to mention that the course modules are really interesting.

:smile:
Reply 52
I'm having second thoughts now...
Reply 53
I had an interview there and although a little chaotic still managed to meet some nice individuals. I recieved an offer for pgdip mental health nursing (Sept 2012 entry) - they did ask me about my other applications which I thought was a little odd. However, the university is relatively new in comparison to others... and has just had the overhaul from being TVU to UWL... so im tempted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Its linked with west london mental health trust which offers one of the most diverse exposures to nursing placements.. so its a tricky decision. Why are you guys having second thoughts?
Reply 54
Original post by Emmense
I had an interview there and although a little chaotic still managed to meet some nice individuals. I recieved an offer for pgdip mental health nursing (Sept 2012 entry) - they did ask me about my other applications which I thought was a little odd. However, the university is relatively new in comparison to others... and has just had the overhaul from being TVU to UWL... so im tempted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Its linked with west london mental health trust which offers one of the most diverse exposures to nursing placements.. so its a tricky decision. Why are you guys having second thoughts?

When did they email you to come for a interview and how much time did you have to prepare? I mean like i've applied for social work and there taking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to get back to me!! on the application part of the website it says interview days are on 22nd feb, 7th and 9th of march, but when i rang UWL up they said they are still short listing people. Im just so worried they arent even going to offer me a interview as the dates r getting closer and i havent heard anything back !!
Reply 55
I heard like 2 weeks (ish) before the interview x
Reply 56
This 'uni' is useless, never respond to emails!
I went to their Experiential day yesterday that they held for students who had applied to do their music courses.

I thought the staff were all really friendly, welcoming and helpful. The music management tutors answered all the questions I had.

It was the first time I had been to the university and on a whole I really liked the place, and the area around it, I thought the Uni offered great facilities.
Finally got on offer from UWL. Just now.

You will see from your UCAS Track record that the University of West London has offered you a place on the BA (Hons) Business Studies with Internship, and we look forward to receiving your acceptance.

It says the above in the email but it's not in track. There's no conditions in the email so just got to wait til UCAS updates. This isnt my first choice Kingston is.
Still waiting on a response... only uni I've sent for which hasn't responded in some form yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending