The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
It's better. Oxbridge teaches more classical chinese, SOAS teaches more modern. If you want to be able to read ancient chinese literature, choose Oxbridge. If you'd rather be able to work and live in China now, SOAS would be better. Though, of course, at Oxbridge you learn modern chinese and would be more than qualified to be able to live in China and speak to the locals.

Both are amazing, but I think SOAS is better for being more modern.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
ThunderCat8
It's better. Oxbridge teaches more classical chinese, SOAS teaches more modern. If you want to be able to read ancient chinese literature, choose Oxbridge. If you'd rather be able to work and live in China now, SOAS would be better. Though, of course, at Oxbridge you learn modern chinese and would be more than qualified to be able to live in China and speak to the locals.

Both are amazing, but I think SOAS is better for being more modern.

I don't think either of these statements are really true. Cambridge, at least, teaches both Classical and Modern Chinese, and more Modern Chinese (at first, you can choose in the later years), than Classical. SOAS does the same, AFAIK.

Still, I'd be rather surprised if there was any significant difference in teaching quality, since SOAS is *the* place for Asian languages. Resource-wise, SOAS is likely better, because of it's enormous Asian/African studies library.
Reply 3
Thanks for the info, I've heard that there's a huge workload at Oxbridge, which is a bit off-putting!
There seems to be a big difference in the entry requirements, but does this mean that it's easier to get a place at SOAS?
ThunderCat8, how are you finding the couse at Newcastle?
Reply 4
newbie06
Thanks for the info, I've heard that there's a huge workload at Oxbridge, which is a bit off-putting!
There seems to be a big difference in the entry requirements, but does this mean that it's easier to get a place at SOAS?
ThunderCat8, how are you finding the couse at Newcastle?

SOAS has a similarly very intensive workload, especially for east asian languages such as Chinese and Japanese - really, if you're passionate about the subject then a high workload should be a challenge you can relish since it's a lot of work, but on something you enjoy - but I can see why it may be off putting since it is particularly hard for Japanese/Chinese. If you are put off by the workload at Oxbridge, don't apply there, otherwise they will see that you will not want such a course by the questions they ask you at the interview.
Finally, yes, it is easier to get a place at SOAS than Oxbridge, I believe.
Reply 5
Eien

Finally, yes, it is easier to get a place at SOAS than Oxbridge, I believe.

Well, there are more applicants per place to SOAS than Oxbridge, but less of those candidates are outstanding. So, for an AAA student, it's much easier, but for people with lower grades, I'm not sure if you're likely to get into either. This is only what I'm guessing from the prospectus, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending