The Student Room Group
It's not really an interview. The Chair of the Law Faculty Board happens to be visiting Beijing and asked to meet some of our prospective applicants. He intends to ask candidates about their intellectual interests and their reasons for wanting to take the MJur. He will probaly report back his general impressions on the overall ability of candidates (and the quality of English language spoken) but individual applicants will still be evaluated using their paper dossiers. (I am the MJur Course Director.)
Reply 2
thank you and I appeciate your kindness very much.
one more question: one of my friend lives in shanghai now. because the new semester begin at that time, coming to beijing is not convenient for her. She wonders if she give up this opportunity, is there an adversely influence on her application to MJur.
It will have no impact on her application. We realise that Shanghai to Beijing is a long way to travel for a quick chat! JG
Reply 4
Dear John Gardner,

I am very happy to know that u r the MJur Course Director, then I can have the first hand info about the M.juris application.

I am also a candidate of the programme, but I am living in the UK now. is it the reason that I have not received any email or post for a meeting or an interview from OXFORD. As I have mentioned in my personal statement, I have a great interest in the common law, such as torts, trust and equity, and land law. In China, we have torts, land law and criminal law or contract law or some others, but they are not exactly the same things with the UK's. For example, in contract law , we do not have consideration, which is a very important part of the contract in the common law. and we do not have trust, and I believe the situation will be changed in next 5 to 10 years, with the demand of the development of our economy.

After having researched the structures of the graduate level programmes in the UK's universities, I find that OXFORD is the only university to provide the core common law modules. several universities like Bristol, Sheffield and Leeds, have MA LL.M in law( legal studies) programme, which also have the full seven modules, but they are two years. I can only spend one year on my study in the UK, my employer required me to go back to China in 2007.
several of my friends are doing M.juris at oriel now, and i hope one day, i can also title myself as an oxon:smile:

Due to the deadline problem , i did not write a desirable personal statement and study plan. It would be great if i can be given an opportunity to have an interview for my appllication.

best regards,

PS: i do not know whether i should leave my name here, maybe it is not equitable to other applicants. just because i have the chance to contact the director of the programme.

Dongbei is not my name, but the my birthplace, and it is not the city name or even province name. it means north-east, close to russia, very cold place, about -30c at this moment , i think.

so , why i am writing this, because i am anxious about my application. no matter who apply OXFORD, s/he could be anxious, as one of my roomates, an oxon, told me that at the end of the day, oxford is still oxford.

really??:smile:
Dongbei:

There are no admission interviews for graduate study in Oxford. Your application will be assessed entirely on the basis of the material you submitted before 20 January. Your written work will be marked, your recommendations will be scored, your transcript will be evaluated, and you will then be ranked against the other applicants. Whether you are offered a place will depend entirely on your ranking. This is the same for everyone.

JG
Reply 6
John Gardner,

thank you very much for u replying me .

i am just hoping my professors have written good references for me , and also my ex-employer's.

and may I copy ur words here and paste them to www.totoolaw.com, the most famous BBS for chinese law students abroad? I am the web-master of the board for studying in oversea countries, except the States, mainly focus on the UK.

Yes, feel free to copy my posts to your BBS. Please copy both of the posts above - the one about professor McKendrick's visit to China and the one about interviews in general. JG

Latest

Trending

Trending