The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm Faye and I'm coming :smile: I'm not doing the 5 day course, really wanted to do the pathology and parasitology but simply couldn't afford it, the school helped for funding with the main bit, but for some reason they refused to help me and another girl having funding for any of the extra bits, yet a girl who asked a few weeks later I've found out has got funding for everything, ridiculous, so annoyed haha! It will still be really good, but I just feel like I'm missing out on that :frown: I'm doing the chem A* and EDGE.

Where are you travelling from? I'm down near Canterbury in Kent.
Reply 2
Original post by 2006019
Hi! I'm Faye and I'm coming :smile: I'm not doing the 5 day course, really wanted to do the pathology and parasitology but simply couldn't afford it, the school helped for funding with the main bit, but for some reason they refused to help me and another girl having funding for any of the extra bits, yet a girl who asked a few weeks later I've found out has got funding for everything, ridiculous, so annoyed haha! It will still be really good, but I just feel like I'm missing out on that :frown: I'm doing the chem A* and EDGE.

Where are you travelling from? I'm down near Canterbury in Kent.

hi faye :smile: thats kind of bad of your school "/ if it makes you feel any better my school wont help with funding for anything and ive had to apply to the headteacher for permission to have the time off school so iv had to pay it all. and im travelling from wolverhampton if you have any idea where that is :smile:
Reply 3
Have fun!! I went on Vet Med-Link 2010 and had an amazing time!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Zonexi
Have fun!! I went on Vet Med-Link 2010 and had an amazing time!!!

is it worth the money??
Original post by meg_xx
is it worth the money??

I didn't think so. It was very fun, hands on, and I met people I am still in contact with now (2 out of these changed to a different course in the end, 1 had to retake a year of school). BUT it didn't help me in any way with my application and you can't put it on your PS as unis understand not everyone can afford to go so you won't be put at an advantage. Even the practise interview wasn't anything like the 4 I've had and pretty useless with the person I had!

If your schools funds it (mine didn't) or you have spare cash then go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I can't say I didn't! But if you can't afford to go or take the time of school, then you are better of studying or putting money towards travelling to your work experience placements.

I wish I knew this before I went, because if I hadn't felt that if I missed out on this that I would be worse off as an applicant I might have not gone as this did not come out of my own pocket and I had to get family to fund me.
Reply 6
Hi, I'm Joseph and I'm doing the 4 day course. Because I'm Upper Sixth I didn't see the point in the Chem A* as it would be too late for most of the stuff they're going to talk about. I'm from North London. Can't wait for it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KindveBlue
Hi, I'm Joseph and I'm doing the 4 day course. Because I'm Upper Sixth I didn't see the point in the Chem A* as it would be too late for most of the stuff they're going to talk about. I'm from North London. Can't wait for it :smile:

hiii :smile: nobody seems to be on the 5 day with me :'( aww
so youve already applied to vetmed then???
Reply 8
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I didn't think so. It was very fun, hands on, and I met people I am still in contact with now (2 out of these changed to a different course in the end, 1 had to retake a year of school). BUT it didn't help me in any way with my application and you can't put it on your PS as unis understand not everyone can afford to go so you won't be put at an advantage. Even the practise interview wasn't anything like the 4 I've had and pretty useless with the person I had!

If your schools funds it (mine didn't) or you have spare cash then go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I can't say I didn't! But if you can't afford to go or take the time of school, then you are better of studying or putting money towards travelling to your work experience placements.

I wish I knew this before I went, because if I hadn't felt that if I missed out on this that I would be worse off as an applicant I might have not gone as this did not come out of my own pocket and I had to get family to fund me.

oh dear "/ not very positive!! but oh well, its paid for now, im sure ill have fun :smile:
Reply 9
seeing everyone say it's not worth the money really has put me off a bit, i'm sure i'll enjoy myself but it may be more useful for me to do more work experience.. arghhhh
its fun, and if you email soonish the organising staff may take you for work experience! it was fun for me as i went with friends, and it gave you an overview of the different aspects of the profession if you arent aware of them. the EDGE session was also very useful, especially in terms of forcing your school to predict you the right grades and how to appeal to certain unis.
Reply 11
Original post by SilverstarDJ

Would you suggest that I cancel the course then? Just there's a free taster course at RVC that clashes with it, and if I'm able to get on that then it's much closer to home, and sounds like it may actually be more useful to my application..
Original post by meg_xx
oh dear "/ not very positive!! but oh well, its paid for now, im sure ill have fun :smile:

I wasn't meaning to be negative, I was just saying my personal opinion and how it really is like when put into context. It IS very fun and I enjoyed every single day of it and its great to meet lots of different people too!

I did learn about doing practical things, like suturing, and got to do simulated arthroscopic surgery!

The marine mammal medics thing was interesting, but seeing as I live in land far-ish from water I don't think I'd ever be called out!

I don't think I went to the EDGE thing, so cannot comment on that. But from others have said it is obvious that you need to speak (and plead) your teachers to give you top grades. Mine didn't have a problem with that.

I just think the course is not a substitute for real work experience and getting advise from current vet students & on here. You may take something away from it, which is good, but, aside from a lot of fun, my application was not any stronger as a result of going.

Original post by 2006019
Would you suggest that I cancel the course then? Just there's a free taster course at RVC that clashes with it, and if I'm able to get on that then it's much closer to home, and sounds like it may actually be more useful to my application..

I have not been the the RVC taster course, so cannot say how useful it is (though I have been on the shadowing scheme -- not sure if this is similar?) and thus cannot really suggest anything to you. If you're applying to RVC saying what you learned about their Uni from their taster course may look like you've done your research well in an interview! It might not help you beyond that, but I don't know is the honest answer.

I would suggest you do what you think is best, and remember that this is just my opinions, others may have found it more useful than me so don't let that be your only guide. I don't want you to feel that you have missed out on anything and I don't know if the course is ran differently now -- I went on it around 2 yrs ago -- things may have changed for the better now.

Perhaps any one else who's been in the past could comment if it helped to strengthen their application??
Reply 13
I went to Vet-Medlink in 2010 and was the only one from my school. It was good fun and I learnt a lot about different aspects of the veterinary field but it is very tiring! I think we had lectures most days from 9am to probably 9pm, with breaks for lunch, dinner etc. I went to the Edge session on the last day which gave me some useful personal statement and interview tips. However there's probably not a lot you'll learn about applying that you can't find on the internet/TSR etc.
Reply 14
Original post by meg_xx
is it worth the money??

I didn't actually pay to go as my family are on a very low income and there was no way we would be able to afford it. I think the organisation behind it funded it for me. It was definitely worth it as I had a great time and like someone said, I am still in contact with people I met there. Although uni's can't take it into account it does show real commitment to have gone and will also help you decide if vet med is for you or what career path to take. If I had the money I would pay to go as just being surrounded by like-minded enthusiastic students was just incredible as I come from a school where having an education is looked down on and not considered "cool". It also made me even more determined than I was to get in to vet school.
Reply 15
I think I was having a silly five minutes haha! I have applied to the thing at RVC and if I do get a place on that, I can still cancel Vetmedlink, but if not then I'm happy to be able to go on that :smile:
Hi, my name is Zoe and im currently at sixth form at a grammer school in lincolnshire and im going to be attending the 4 day vetmedlink course, i was just wondering if anyone knew of the sort of things we will be doing? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Zoe_jade1994
Hi, my name is Zoe and im currently at sixth form at a grammer school in lincolnshire and im going to be attending the 4 day vetmedlink course, i was just wondering if anyone knew of the sort of things we will be doing? :smile:

hi Zoe :smile: i think we do lectures as well as workshops with the animals, like husbandry stuff. have you had your pack in the post yet??
Oh that sounds cool :smile: No i haven't had a pack in the post :/ ill have to ring up.
Reply 19
i going :P and 2006019 im hoping to come up to canterbury to do some work experience on a stud farm :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending