The Student Room Group

Proposal: Active members should be 'promoted'

I think that it would perhaps enhance the MUN if the most significant countries were represented by active members, and less active members represented smaller countries

For example, it doesnt make sense for the member for Micronesia to be passing comment on most topics, and for many important countries to hardly ever contribute

Perhaps countries should be grouped into categories of importance - say one to five, and new members should only be able to choose countries with a one or two rating, and then when it becomes clear how often they are posting, if there are vacancies, they should be offered the chance to represent a more significant country. Likewise, instead of booting out people who dont post once a week or whatever, they can just be reasigned to a less significant country - which people wouldn't mind hearing/not hearing from.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We seem to have had a lot of new proposals recently... I will choose not to pass comment for the moment.
Reply 2
I'm in two minds about this - how long would a member be posting for before he can get htis "promotion"? What if someone deserves a "promotion" but all the other major countries are active? I like the whole nominate-when-position-becomes-available, and if your concerned about a members inactivity PM the SG.

However Im willing to listen to the arguements.
Reply 3
Also it might encourage "posting for postings sake", rather than when your country is relevent. E.g. US complains about Mexico, India takes radical position on side of US and posts three pages worth of stuff.
Reply 4
Its just that people like Brimstone seem to be passing comment on every matter and its just not realistic, because in reality hardly anyone would care what Sierra Leone has to say on matters of say, proliferation
Reply 5
aaronc2
Its just that people like Brimstone seem to be passing comment on every matter and its just not realistic, because in reality hardly anyone would care what Sierra Leone has to say on matters of say, proliferation

Excuse me? I pass comment on every matter because members of the MUN are encouraged to be active. I feel that as a member of MUN (and Sierra Leone as a member of the real UN) I have every right to comment on issues that are being debated.
Reply 6
Surely saying active members will get rewarded will encourage irrelevent posting?
Reply 7
yeh I know, I wasnt criticising you, its good that you post, its just that if you were reprsenting a more significant country it would be more realistic
Reply 8
Nightowl
Surely saying active members will get rewarded will encourage irrelevent posting?

yeh probably. I dont have the answer, but the issue needs debating
Reply 9
aaronc2
yeh I know, I wasnt criticising you, its good that you post, its just that if you were reprsenting a more significant country it would be more realistic

Which country would you suggest I represent then?
Reply 10
calm down, I really wasn't trying to offend you, just using you as an example. I don't know what country, there probably aren't any vacancies, thats why we should discuss the issue
Reply 11
Nightowl

And surely it'd be pretty obvious if a member was posting just for the sake of being promoted. I post because I enjoy debating the issues raised - this means I post properly, and with proper responses. Someone who is just trying to be promoted will no doubt post something along the lines of :
"Oh yeah, I agree too".
Reply 12
A week ago we were complaining about inactivity, curretly were having lively debate and I dont care who is taking part and whose representing who, at least its debate.
Reply 13
Ye it probably would be quite obvious. Perhaps the solution is that people who represent important countries, say - US, China, UK etc. should be expected to contribute regularly, and then, if they dont, instead of removing them, they should be invited to be the member for a slightly less significant country, say India, France etc. and so on
Reply 14
Nightowl
A week ago we were complaining about inactivity, curretly were having lively debate and I dont care who is taking part and whose representing who, at least its debate.

Agreed. At least we are actually debating something.
Reply 15
Nightowl

Yeh its all good but why not try to make it better?
Reply 16
aaronc2
Ye it probably would be quite obvious. Perhaps the solution is that people who represent important countries, say - US, China, UK etc. should be expected to contribute regularly, and then, if they dont, instead of removing them, they should be invited to be the member for a slightly less significant country, say India, France etc. and so on

I would say India and France are quite significant countries.
Reply 17
brimstone1
I would say India and France are quite significant countries.

yes but a little bit less than US and China is what I was saying
Reply 18
aaronc2
yes but a little bit less than US and China is what I was saying

I can see where you are coming from with this proposal, and would support it if put into action, but I don't feel it'll work, for the reasons stated by previous posters. What would be defined as a significant country?
Reply 19
I'm neither too active nor a particularily salient nation so the status quo suits me fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending