The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She may be the 'face' of Ann Summers - But the girls modelling the lingerie are a whole different picture

http://www.annsummers.com/p/jenna-apron/18bdpeas1043010
Original post by Trigger
Didn't she win a public VOTE? As in the public chose her? Jesus why can't any of you just be happy for the girl instead being so utterly vile?

Plenty of abhorrent people are popular.
Reply 42
The fatties will be lapping this up.
Man the harpoons!
Reply 44
I don't care how wrong it is as I don't act on it in any way but I don't like fat people. Just can't stand their podgy faces and their back rolls and their weird fatty voices. Like you know the way they always sound like they have a bubble in their throat? Oh yeah and their sausage fingers, yuck they are the worst. Also their cankles and their bingo wings and the way they get out of breath after just walking up a few stairs.
Come at me neg bros.
Reply 45
Aha this is awful! Being a size 16 isn't good because it isn't healthy. Fashion brands shouldn't be promoting size 16, just as they shouldn't be promoting size 0. In the past Ann Summers has always had models in the size 8-12 range, which is considered healthy for the majority of women.
Original post by llessur123
She's beautiful but I think she would be better looking if she was a healthy weight. I also don't understand why they clearly edited a lot of her body yet left that awful tattoo.

I wish they did a campaign with a size 8/10 model. It seems to only be acceptable to be at an extreme in the modelling world. Either they are a size 4 or a size 18. Neither are healthy, I don't think this promotes good body image at all, it promotes being unhealthy just as an extremely thin model does. It's only being praised because it's different.

Also, "Jacqueline Gold, CEO of Ann Summers, said: "The campaign was about finding a real woman who embodied our brand and oozed sexiness and confidence." What is this? Are the models they normally use not real woman. I hate that bull****, all women are real woman, just because there is more of you doesn't mean you're more 'real'.

EDIT: In the 10 minutes it took me to wrote this there had been like 5 replies saying this already, aaaaw.

I completely agree with you. :smile:

I still think models should be slimmer than the average size 14-16, because a 'model' imo should show clothes in the best possible light, which often is on a slim person.

The model shown here imo only looks good because she has good bone structure and high cheekbones that still show through despite her weight (on most overweight people they wouldn't) and also because any rolls of fat that would have appeared / or slight creases in her stomach / chest area, have been airbrushed out. She is pretty, but I reckon if she slimmed down to a size 12 she'd have a Kelly Brook-esque look to her, and look far better for it.
Reply 47
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Plenty of abhorrent people are popular.

And?
Reply 48
Original post by jaime1986
She may be the 'face' of Ann Summers - But the girls modelling the lingerie are a whole different picture

http://www.annsummers.com/p/jenna-apron/18bdpeas1043010

Is it just me or does that girl not have nipples :frown:
Reply 49
Good! Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
Reply 50
Original post by lauren_a
Is it just me or does that girl not have nipples :frown:

Well she's only modelling the thing, but didn't want her nipples to be seen! lol
Reply 51
I hate it when a company makes a point of having a plus size model, then airbrushes her to make her look skinnier. These look reasonably untouched though. I think it's great - she's fit, and definitely not too big either.
Well, considering British women are the fattest in Europe, it certainly makes sense from a marketing perspective.
Reply 53
I agree with the majority of the replies!

It IS bad, because it does make being unhealthily overweight seem good.

BUT I am glad that they have picked somebody who doesn't have a perfectly flat stomach, however, as a lot of you have yet, I wish they'd pick somebody size 10/12, or 14.
Reply 54
so the industry gets lambasted for using unhealthily thin models so they move to overweight models ... can these people not find a happy medium, im sure using a umm 'larger lady' isnt going to do their "sexy underwear" sales any good...
I'm all for anti-anorexia but I don't mean to sound awful but promoting women who are slightly overweight doesn't solve the problem either. She is beautiful don't get me wrong but surely a happy medium is better, e.g. a size 10/12 instead of borderline anorexic and slightly overweight models being used.

The amount of stick this woman is receiving is disgusting though, if she's proud of who she is and is clearly a success with respect for others who are we to judge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Jimbo1234

Sending out a positive message to fat and unfit women is so ****ing dangerous considering this country already has a weight problem.

Prove that girls thinking being their own size, like the girl in the picture, is more dangerous than girls going to extremes to become skinnier and having health issues from being underweight in order to adhere to social standards imposed on them by sad acts like yourself.

Prove it.
Reply 57
Original post by Wisham
I find it quite funny that they make a point of choosing a size 16, then still photoshop her pictures to ****.

Lol that is exactly what I thought.

It's all getting a bit hypocritical and confusing.

She is an attractive girl, but in all honesty she IS overweight. Just as there are attractive girls who are underweight.

If you trying to portray 'health' then you can't just jump straight to the other side of the scale (excuse the expression!). It has to be balanced.

I've seen so many Facebook groups saying things like 'Curvy girls are better than skinny girls', which alienates slimmer girls. Just as unfair as alienating larger girls.

And to be honest most of the women starting these facebook girls are overweight NOT curvy. (There IS a difference)
Reply 58
Original post by Tommyjw
Prove that girls thinking being their own size, like the girl in the picture, is more dangerous than girls going to extremes to become skinnier and having health issues from being underweight in order to adhere to social standards imposed on them by sad acts like yourself.

Prove it.

It's equally dangerous. And yes, I agree with you- they shouldn't have to adhere to social standards, but perhaps they should think about their health!
Original post by Lil Piranha
She's very pretty but she's been airbrushed to hell. Sans-photoshop, her body would *not* look like that.

Agreed, it's so photoshopped it hurts : /

Latest