The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Implant

Scroll to see replies

I've had mine for a few months now, stopped my periods completely which is excellent, no weight gain or other adverse effects, lovely :smile:
Reply 21
I had my Implant fitted 3 years ago come this September, however I have quite a bit of spotting in the last few months. They change the implant over for me just over a week on early as they said they sometimes do that towards the end.

However, since I've had the implant fitted I've been an emotional wreck! I want to cry all the time at nothing and the smallest things make me so mad! If my mood swings continue I will have no relationship! Will these calm down? Has anyone else experience this? I feel so unhappy all the time :confused:
Reply 22
I've got the implant and personally I don't think it is that great. I've put on a lot of weight ( has anyone else experienced this?) and I get very bad headaches also it's made my mood swings worse. However it does have it's advantages it has completely stopped my period which is what I did get it for but I cant be walking around like a fatty lool so I'm getting it taken out tomorrow I've watched how it is removed it looks really sore. Wish me luck x
(edited 11 years ago)
Sounds like there are a big a range of experiences?!
I had the implant put in just under 3 years ago, and I can only say good things about it. Although I've had times when I've had extra long and surprise periods... maybe 6 weeks long at most, I generally never everrr have periods - haven't had one for about a year. I like it!

It's hard to distinguish whether the cause of any depression/weight gain is due to the implant or general life, as I've had brushes with both, but I think generally it's not an issue, or not something that should put you off getting the implant. But as others have said, everyone's different!

Getting the implant, for me, was suuuuch a good decision and when 3 years are up in the summer, I am going to get it again!
Reply 24
Original post by rubixcyoob
I'm thinking about getting the nexplanon implant (the only one that has been available on the UK market since 2010). Online reading seems to suggest it isn't as bad as the old implanon implant that was previously used and things like weight gain/acne are not an issue and that it tends to make periods lighter/disappear.

Has anyone got this implant and would be willing to tell me how it fairs for them?

Thanks in advance!

I've only had mine in a week (not long, i know) but so far its great, apart from my acne has kind of flared up. My skin was looking the best its been in years until i had the implant put in, haha. Its a bit annoying, but maybe it will settle in a few months time :smile: can have sex with my boyfriend without a condom as of tomorrow, which is a bonus :P Not had any periods yet, and mine was due the other day, so fingers crossed i don't get any for a while
Hi, I had the old implant in for 3 years and personally thought it was brill. I had no problems with it and my periods were great. I generally think it depends on the person and all you can do is try it out as it is easy to have removed. I have recently had a new implant fitted the nexplanon only 2 months ago, so I cant comment on it but its been fine so far.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 26
I love mine. Was really scared to get it as people said they were bleeding non stop for months but I've only bled 3 times for about 2 days, no pain or anything, and thats since december when I had it put in
I originally had implanon, had no complaints with that one! got it changed in January to nexplanon and I am considering getting it removed, it has caused my hair to become really thin, I was just wondering for anyone who has experienced thinning of hair due to nexplanon - did your hair grow back after having it removed or did it become thicker the longer the implant was left? I'm not sure what to do.
Reply 28
i got it fitted in january, figuring it would be the most convenient/effective form of contraceptive.
my big mistake was knowing that it disrupts your periods, and thinking i'd be okay with it, because before i'd been regular as clockwork, so obviously it was fairly traumatic for me when i came on solidly for a month. i then was prescribed the combined pill to stop my periods, as i was going on holiday fairly soon. i finished the pill 2 weeks ago, and i've been on again for the last 10 days, and can tell it's going to be the same, so i'm going to go back on the pill this week hopefully to regulate it.
besides the messed up periods, i had a bit of weight gain at first, but i've started to get it under control recently. my skin's actually been better, because i got spots every time i came on, and seeing as i had my periods stopped, i had relatively good skin for a few weeks (yay!). but, i got some fairly horrendous mood swings, i'd just feel hopeless and really low about everything, spent soo many nights just crying on my boyfriend haha!
i've had friends who've had the implant without any problems at all though, so how your body reacts is completely individual/unpredictable. i'd say get it and then give it a few months and see how you handle it. good luck :smile:
Reply 29
I haven't experienced weight gain, or mood swings, etc. But I've been more tired than usual this year (I got it inserted in October last year. But that could easily be explained by working non-stop i.e. 9~7 every day for two weeks, and then immediately moving across the country for uni, and my course is pretty demanding), and at first I was only bleeding every now and then (it was on and off, on and off) but since January, it has been non-stop. I thought I'd dodge that side effect, having had a fairly textbook period most of my life, and I didn't have any reaction at all to levonelle (morning after pill) the one time I had to take it.

Probably going to get it removed over summer vacation, since I don't think it's worth waiting it out anymore. Pretty bummed, because it's really effective, long-term, and basically perfect if it works for you. I haven't tried anything else, so I'll probably ~shop around~.

tl;dr nobody can really tell you how your body is going to react to it. If you want to give it a go, give it a go, and if you don't like it, move on to something else.
Reply 30
I got Nexplanon in January and it seemed fine, but since late February I've been bleeding a little non-stop everyday since, does anyone know how long you're supposed to wait for it to stop?

I don't want to do anything at the moment due to exams and well my mindset's so unmotivated anyway that being off my face on hormones might be a welcome distraction!
Original post by holsjols
I got Nexplanon in January and it seemed fine, but since late February I've been bleeding a little non-stop everyday since, does anyone know how long you're supposed to wait for it to stop?

I don't want to do anything at the moment due to exams and well my mindset's so unmotivated anyway that being off my face on hormones might be a welcome distraction!

this is quite common with the implant, usually you're given the combined pill with it for a few months til it settles down :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Laura120792
this is quite common with the implant, usually you're given the combined pill with it for a few months til it settles down :smile:

Thanks Laura! :smile:
I've had it for a year and the only problems i've had is erratic periods but IMO its worth it.
Reply 34
Original post by Laura120792

So you only have to take it for a few months? I might try that, since I've had no other problems with it.

Would it be better to go to a clinic or my GP for this?
I've been debating whether I should try long term forms of contraception like the implant but the numerous bad experiences just put me off. I wish someone could develop a contraceptive method that doesn't come with a whole host of potential problems. I wouldn't mind if they were rare cases but a lot of the side effects are pretty common.
Original post by laridum
So you only have to take it for a few months? I might try that, since I've had no other problems with it.

Would it be better to go to a clinic or my GP for this?

Yeah, its just til the hormones from the implant settle down. Either, it doesnt really matter. I personally went back to the clinic cos I think they said 'any problems come back and see us'.
I've just had my implant out also due to the painful sex and my 9 month long period, how long was it until the sexy pain began to stop. I feel so bad for my boyfriend as I haven't had sex with him for months because it's so painful and I'm scared to try again!
Reply 38
I have the implant and got it fitted in November. I love it, I love it a lot. No periods, no babies- bliss. I've never had a side effect. The only thing I will say is my arm was sore and bruised for ages after and I can see it even now; but I think that's because I'm very pale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Post posted twice- apologies.

Quick Reply

Latest