The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Implant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizziefree
I HATED it!
I had it for 8 months... first 2 or 3 months was fine.
Then after it settled in it made sex unbelievably painful. It was like having a knife cut you open. The most terrible pain i've felt. It put me off sex because of the excruciating pain. The pain lasted about 4 months every single time before I got it removed. This was because the doctors refused to let me have it removed... telling me it was nothing to do with the Nexplanon.
One doctor tried telling me I had chlamydia! She did me a test... even though I told her i new 100% i didnt have it. It came back negative of course.
Then she tries telling me it's thrush... wasn't that either. Then telling me I had ovary cysts... not that. Another attempted to convince me I had lubrication problems... not that either. Although I will add that the implant did mess me up like this, but probably only because of the pain!!!So I tried using lube, that made the pain even worse cause it was able to stab in deeper!! I had to tell me boyfriend to stop within a second of trying. Everytime. It was so bad i couldn't even try for his sake.
It gave me migraines, made me gain weight ect... took away my periods all together...
So one day I was so pissed off I went in and demanded to have it removed.
Within a day of it being removed there was an immediate improvement. No pain at all. After 4 months of terrible painful sex, it was finally pain free! I had not had any of those problems since having it removed. I am so glad I got it removed and regret getting it.

Once you got it removed, did you noyice anything with your weight? Did you loose what you gained?
Reply 41
I've had mine for nearly the full three years, and although I haven't had a huge amount of problems, I'm planning on getting it removed, and then having it stay out.

Only real problem I had was periods; I'm one of those rare few that have prolonged periods. Although they have settled down into a sort of rhythm, that rhythm is three weeks on, three weeks off, and ever changing due to it being the last shreds of hormones dripping out of the thing.

It's been convenient for me as I work shifts though, so none of that "same time every day" thing that pills bring about :smile:
I had the implant for about 8 months and ended up going back to the pill! I got the implant purely for the ease of not needing to remember a pill everyday and being in the hope that it stopped my periods altogether... The first few months were great, no periods, no weight gain or mood swings etc, but then I started spotting continuously, which was making me feel really down, I started getting spots (my skin isn't that great anyway, but it was getting to the point where I had at least 4 or 5 spots and lots of pimples on my face :frown: ) and put on weight. So I changed back to the pill, mainly so I could be in control of my periods ie when I had one and when I didn't. Since then I've lost the weight I put on and my skin has cleared up!
Everybody is different though, so give it a try, you could always take it out if you don't get on with it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Nooooooooooo!!!! I thought it would be the greatest thing EVER, and at first it seemed fine. No bleeding, no periods, no babies. And I've noticed every once in a while I feel like I want to throw up, but I just thought I ate too much or BLAH. Then I noticed I was really tired a lot, but I thought it was Bc I work too much. Every now and then I would weird headaches that I never had before but I didn't think much into it. I noticed my mood swings and how rapid they were but I didn't look at them as
I had the implant put in on the 3rd of June, bled since the 22 of June still going on now a month ahead. It hurts to have sex can anyone help??
Reply 45
I've had the Nexplanon implant since april 2015 and in terms of not having periods and pains, it is great, i havent had a period since last september. But other than that I have gained so much weight and cannot lose it. I was a size 6/8 (7.5 stone) and now I am a size 14 (12 stone). Its also made my stomach feel bloated all the time, made me lethargic and my stomach feels so bloated it makes me sick. Not only that but i now have horrendous stretch marks all over my legs and bum and i have treated them with cocoa butter and bio oil but theyre not going. I have also experienced depression, whether that be down to be having social anxiety anyway or whether it be down to me feeling low about myself because I have been gaining weight and stretch marks. But hey, i guess if you want bigger boobs then this is the thing for you...
Speaking of boobs, they have also been really sore and tender, mainly being really bad when i wake up in the morning and i cant sleep on my side or stomach because it hurts so much. In terms of my mood, i guess it could of given me mood swings - but again that could be the depression or the fact I am a moody cow anyway :unimpressed:
I've had the implant for around 10 months now and it's been absolutely fine apart from the irregular periods for the first few months. If you're looking for a really good contraceptive method I'd say this is probably the best one, I know many people who have it and they think the same!
I must say though, that it does affect different people in different way, so, I'd suggest looking into the pro's and con's before making a decision!
Hope this helps! xx
The coil has been much better for me than the implant. I used to get awful period pain but this stopped when I swapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pingew
I've had the Nexplanon implant since april 2015 and in terms of not having periods and pains, it is great, i havent had a period since last september. But other than that I have gained so much weight and cannot lose it. I was a size 6/8 (7.5 stone) and now I am a size 14 (12 stone). Its also made my stomach feel bloated all the time, made me lethargic and my stomach feels so bloated it makes me sick. Not only that but i now have horrendous stretch marks all over my legs and bum and i have treated them with cocoa butter and bio oil but theyre not going. I have also experienced depression, whether that be down to be having social anxiety anyway or whether it be down to me feeling low about myself because I have been gaining weight and stretch marks. But hey, i guess if you want bigger boobs then this is the thing for you...
Speaking of boobs, they have also been really sore and tender, mainly being really bad when i wake up in the morning and i cant sleep on my side or stomach because it hurts so much. In terms of my mood, i guess it could of given me mood swings - but again that could be the depression or the fact I am a moody cow anyway :unimpressed:

I had my implant removed today for sinilar reasons to you. I had it put in last May/June, and thought it was brill the first month. No periods and no remembering to take a pill or being too cautious. Sadly, my moods took away the joy from all of that. I became extensively paranoid, depressed and very irritable. I had previously had bouts of depression when I was in secondary school, but for three years I had been absoloutely fine. Subsequently, I wound up seeing a nurse who signed me up to a self-esteem therapy group. I only attended twice before withdrawing as I did not see the point in it, nor did I find it helpful. My boyfriend and I had stopped having sex, by boobs have definitely gotten bigger and just recently I noticed that I had put weight on; I have always been quite slim weighing 7st3, I now weight 8st1. I have joined a gym and havent noticed any difference, muscles are definitely more toned but no massive weight loss. My boobs are also very sore and tender. Hoping now I have had it removed I can go back to being normal!

Has anyone had a case of baby brain? I seriously feel like since I have had the implant my memory has gone kaput! Even when trying to think of words to say in conversations, I just go blank. I browsed mumsnet forum (not a mother myself, just for other peoples experiences I found it an interesting source of info) and others had said the same thing!
I had a lot of problems, went from being 7.5 stone to 12 and a half stone, extremely bloated all the time, constant periods, bad stretch marks purple and painful over the top of my legs that were really painful. After 4 Yr of the dr refusing to remove it.. I swapped doctor, had it removed last week .. within 2 days the stretch marks started easing with the pain, now they are almost invisible .. the bloat is nowhere near as bad and I have dropped down to just under 12 stone! I can only hope my menstruation normalises and the weight continues to decrease. Its a great form of contraception .. it stops you from having sex because not only is the sex so damn painful but you don't want anybody near you because of constant bleeding and the mass amount of weight gain and depression the damn thing causes
Cannot wait to get it removed. Only had it a year and 2 month but stepping on the scales to see I’d gained a stone and a half was not the one. Also cannot even breathe without getting spots so it’s a no from me lmaoo
I had this exact same issue. All of them. The pain was like nothing I ever experienced. Tbe doctor told me I had a tilted cervix but in all my years I had never experienced this kind of pain during sex. I have had the implant out for 2 months now and haven't had any of those pains. I'm specifically in search of answers right now and stumbled across your comment .
Reply 52
Ive had it since Tuesday! Im 17, with autism and mental health issues. Also on medication for migraines. A little run down of the process:
Tuesday: 3rd day of my period. I got it in! 11:40am. The lady who done it was super nice and let my partner come in with me to hold my hand. It was done at a sexual health clinic (CaSH clinic). She told me exactly what she was doing when she was doing it.
First she asked me some questions on my own, such as what medications i’m on and when my last vaccine and operation was and just a general medical background check. Asked about drugs/alcohol/smoking. When my last period was, of i’d had unprotected sex in the past two weeks etc. She also took my blood pressure and weight.
Once we spoke and she knew it was safe for me to have she asked what hand my dominant one is so she could put it in the other one. my dominant hand is right so she put it in my left arm. Then i was told o just lay down on the bed and she went out to the waiting area to get my partner for me as support. She lifted the bed i was on and i looked away while she injected the numbing in my arm. She explained everything that was going on perfectly. It stung a little bit but nothing bad. We waited a minute and she made small talk about movies then asked if i could feel anything in the area and i said no. She then showed me the little device/machine thing they use to insert the implant and explained what would happen. I looked away and she done it. It was over in 5 minutes and it didn’t hurt. Just a little pressure that felt strange.
Later on that night it felt quite itchy and uncomfortable but nothing unbearable! I was still able to cook and lift trays out the oven etc so its nothing that will disrupt daily tasks :smile:
Wednesday i walked to college and it was pretty cold, some snow on the floor and slight wind. Well i did have a hoodie on but the cold still got through a little and i had a burning sensation. It was okay once i got warmer. I also kept getting a shooting pain down my arm for tuesday and wednesday. Thursday everything started to ease a little and i took off the main covering.
Friday (today) i’m aching a little but nothing bad at all. I’ve had a couple of emotional moments i’m guessing could be influenced by my hormones but so far it’s not too bad. My period also stopped on the 5th day but usually lasts 7-8 days.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest